To Export or not to Export

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Constance Peregrine

Re: To Export or not to Export

Post by Constance Peregrine »

either way, they are making money where they did not previously...I expect she is going to do very well in this regard...maybe some fine day I can sell my terrains via the Kitely MP also-))
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

I'd like to put my two cents in here. First let me say that I in no way I'm trying to say what other merchants should do. As I have said in the past, I appreciate that Kitely's philosophy is to treat people like adults, give them options and allow them to make their own decisions. Nor do I think I stand to gain/lose as much as many large, well established and much more talented merchants do. But this was something that bothered me a great deal when we first began discussing the export option. I finally made complete peace with the decision to make all of my items exportable.

For the most part the items that I currently have in the market are fairly detailed prim items. Sometimes they contain sculpts or mesh, but are mostly prim. They would be relatively easy to reproduce and sell or give away. I spend hours, sometimes days (or longer) creating these items. I've put a lot of myself into them and don't relish the idea of someone copying them, making themselves the creators and selling or giving them away. But...

It's important to me that people enjoy the items they buy from me. I want the items to be useful and appreciated. If they aren't able to copy them to OARs, I feel they are less useful. Plus, I love the idea of my merchandise making it to some virtual world that I've never been and someone saying "Marstol Nitey made that". Hopefully the next person would appreciate it. But either way, if my customer does, I'll be happy. I like my customers (not that I have many) and I don't want to punish them for what some unscrupulous boogeyman may or may not do with items I've made. If it happens and I find out, you can bet I'll stir up some dust. But I'm not going to let some real or imagined bad guy ruin my or my customers fun. Most people are inherently good. I'm counting on that.
These users thanked the author Marstol Nitely for the post (total 3):
Constance PeregrineOzwell WayfarerDot Matrix
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

I have seen Amis models on the marketplace now and I think you got the price point just right, but I would still consider offering a C/M set at a cheaper price for people that just want to enjoy your builds within Kitely.

Something that just struck me, if there was a function on the marketplace similar to product variations but for perms. I would definitely use that.

So you could sell the same item but different perms at different price points. The customer could select what perms they want from a drop down list of available combinations. That would be amazing! :D I think presently it would require two or more separate listings.
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Hey Ozwell, If I am right the KL marketplace offers just that with variations. I will think about making variations for expottand non export. Ilan pointed that out to me yesterday.

Greetings,

Ami
These users thanked the author Amiryu Hosoi for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ozwell,

Amiryu is right, you can create different variations of the same item in the same product listing and give each variation its own permissions. The permissions filtering system (on the bottom left side of the Kitely Market page) lets you filter our products that don't have a variation that includes all your desired permissions. Search results will show the best matching variation for your search and filtering criteria so, for example, you can select to get a list of all the product variations that have Export permissions (the best qualifying exportable variation will be shown for each product that fits your criteria).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Ozwell WayfarerZuza Ritt
Ozwell Wayfarer

thank you Ami and Ilan, I was totally unaware. That is really amazing.

I am very glad I found this out before I listed a lot of stuff :lol: Off to have a play with that feature right now!
Ozwell Wayfarer

Just tried it.

WOW, easy when you know how ;) the hardest part is the extra work on MP images.

Also, this is the 300th post in the Kitely merchant forum. So, yeah. Woo! :mrgreen:
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineSherrie Melody
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Hey Ozwell,

great you found out how to work with the variations. I agree, it takes a little exploring but once you find out how, it works like a dream. Btw, I suggested to Ilan to add some kind of div for variations that are set to export. Merchants could make their own transparent layer and when a product is set to export that layer would be placed above the original picture, like a stamp. Check out: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/25 ... ar=2574537 and hover over the export variation. Also check out: http://www.kitely.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=735

Ami
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

Not replying to anyone in particular, just giving my two KCs worth of mind babble.

Creators have every right to want to be justly compensated for their hard work. As a customer, I want to be part of that. To be able to be part of that I have to be able to legitimately take stuff I pay for with me. I only buy things with permissions that allow me to export them and I only export things I'm legitimately allowed to. If I can't take it with me, it is money down the drain. I honor terms of use. If I buy a personal-use-only item, I don't use it for commercial purposes.

Restricted permissions have absolutely no impact on dishonest people, and only stop customers like me from buying something because I can't take it with me. A dishonest person doesn't have the same limitations that I do. Unlike me, the copybotter has no desire to pay for anything, restricted permissions have no meaning. If it rezzes in their viewer, they can steal it, use it, sell it. It doesn't matter whether its in SL, Inworldz, Kitely, Osgrid, or anywhere else, even other 3D games. If the dishonest person's viewer sees it, they can steal it, period.
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Thank you Sherrie, I already made the jump to list all my items full mod | export. Ilan and people like you convinced me;-) Btw, I am constantly updating the shop but it takes a while because I need to fix in SL, export from SL, import to Kitely, pack, list, etc..;-) Reminder, just send me a note if you would like a particular utem lieted on Kitely first.

Greetings,

Ami
These users thanked the author Amiryu Hosoi for the post:
Sherrie Melody