Trouble with physics on BallerNation grid

Support for buying and delivering products from Kitely Market to non-Kitely grids
beverly Zauberflote

Re: Trouble with physics on BallerNation grid

Post by beverly Zauberflote »

Good idea Mike. I uploaded several colada files of my models to baller nation grid which is running 9.0. all tests with my existing models failed. Some new models using very rudmentary shapes were OK but adding detail (like cutting voids using boolean operations) ended in failure for me. At that point I made versions with mesh set to phantom and added invisible prims as walls, floors etc. I haven't had time to do any more research but will post if I find any more useful info.

Edit...I forgot to mention I did these tests with my baller nation avatar. I have avatars on most of the grids I sell to so I can test items before release or check problems (with my products) that might arise on other grids.
These users thanked the author beverly Zauberflote for the post (total 2):
Dot MatrixMike Lorrey
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

beverly Zauberflote wrote:Good idea Mike. I uploaded several colada files of my models to baller nation grid which is running 9.0. all tests with my existing models failed. Some new models using very rudmentary shapes were OK but adding detail (like cutting voids using boolean operations) ended in failure for me. At that point I made versions with mesh set to phantom and added invisible prims as walls, floors etc. I haven't had time to do any more research but will post if I find any more useful info.

Edit...I forgot to mention I did these tests with my baller nation avatar. I have avatars on most of the grids I sell to so I can test items before release or check problems (with my products) that might arise on other grids.
I have found that even on kitely, you need to upload any meshes with high physics detail if there are holes are doors people will be walking through. The boolean function in blender is fine with blender generated meshes, but I have found to get it to give it a solid physics "edge" at the hole, you need 2-4 rows of faces "in" the edge. Using Booleans on prims exported from Opensim to blender as collada files creates really ugly physics holes that are very unreliable in their navigability without a lot of repair work in Blender.

Also: if you are using Bullet physics in a sim, there are some grids, like Kitely, where resizing a prim that has been hollowed/cut/sliced will cause its physics collision mesh to default to its default shape, not to the shape of the prim, UNTIL the sim restarts, whereupon the collision mesh is recalculated to the shape of the visible prim and/or mesh. This is not a default behavior of Opensim, there's something going on with the server physics we haven't been able to pin down with some grids. With Kitely thats not a big deal since sims restart every time they are empty, unless you have some sort of application that depends on a script regularly torturing prims that need a proper collision mesh.
These users thanked the author Mike Lorrey for the post:
beverly Zauberflote
beverly Zauberflote

Post by beverly Zauberflote »

Thanks Mike! You have given me some ideas for further tests i can try on the Baller Nation grid. I haven't done an export of my models there (baller nation) to collada, that should be enlightening. And i will try the adding faces trick as well. I did upload my model with a separate physics model (using boolean cuts in one and simple planes in another) in my tests and that didn't help but maybe if i add faces to the edges...

i'll post my results here, hopefully i can do the tests this weekend :)
Brayla Sana

Post by Brayla Sana »

Baller Nation is on 0.9x so that grid will behave very differently from Kitely.

That being said, If you make the physics volume too complicated, Kitely will make it phantom. I have found that my physics models in Opensim need to envelop the high-rez model. In SL I could use a plane for walls, but in Opensim, a cube is better. I have sucessfully made hollow cuts in my physics models work by ensuring they surround the object. I do not recommend using Boolean cuts to make physics volumes, as sometimes wonky geometry can result. Remember to apply rotation on both your model and the physics model before exporting to DAE in your 3d software (I use blender mostly).
Dadiella's for Fashion and Brayla Sana Gallery for Building!