Trouble with physics on BallerNation grid

Support for buying and delivering products from Kitely Market to non-Kitely grids
beverly Zauberflote

Trouble with physics on BallerNation grid

Post by beverly Zauberflote »

I have sold several buildings to the ballernation grid and today a customer informed me that her house was acting like a phantom object (it is mesh) and nothing she did would fix that. So i tested it myself and it is sporadic but typically is behaving like a phantom object. But only parts of it.....in addition some door ways act like they are solid and don't allow one to walk through them.

i don't have this problem on any of the other grids i have tested (Zangrid, GCG, MEtropolis, Kitely) so i am befuddled. Researching it i find there are settings for the server that can enable physics and mesh upload but i am guessing that isn't the issue since some of the mesh is acting solid.

any ideas/suggestions would be most appreciated!

found this when researching this problem. Is anyone familiar with these settings?:
; ## PHYSICS
; ##

; if you would like to allow prims to be physical and move by physics with the physical checkbox in the client set this to true.
physical_prim = true

; Select a mesher here.
;
; Meshmerizer properly handles complex prims by using triangle meshes.
; Note that only the ODE physics engine currently deals with meshed prims in a satisfactory way
;
; ZeroMesher is faster but leaves the physics engine to model the mesh using the basic shapes that it supports
; Usually this is only a box

meshing = Meshmerizer
;meshing = ZeroMesher

; Choose one of the physics engines below
; OpenDynamicsEngine is by some distance the most developed physics engine
; basicphysics effectively does not model physics at all, making all objects phantom

physics = OpenDynamicsEngine
;physics = basicphysics
;physics = POS
;physics = modified_BulletX
Ilan Tochner

Re: Trouble with physics on BallerNation grid

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi beverly,

Do you know what version of OpenSim Baller Nation Grid is running?
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

According to this post at the G+ Opensim Virtual community, Baller Nation Grid (windring.ussc.com:8002) is running 0.9

https://plus.google.com/+SereneJewell/posts/CrK4Z1nVofW
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post:
beverly Zauberflote
beverly Zauberflote

I don't but i will ask one of the owners. I gave her the information i posted and she was going to talk to her tech guy.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

OpenSim 0.9.0 has a different version of the ODE physics engine than the one used in prior versions of OpenSim, which can easily explain why physics would behave differently on girds that use it.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
beverly Zauberflote
beverly Zauberflote

i'll let them know. for the time being i have made the building phantom and put in prims so they don't fall through floors and walk through walls....

is there anyway we can "block" the sale of items to certain grids that we know won't work because of their physics?
I am not really sure how to proceed at this point. i don't like having items on the market that potentially won't work. I guess i could put a disclaimer about what physics my stuff won't work with?....(thinking out loud)....but then noone ever reads that stuff lol...

do you know if this is something i can fix on my end? like create versions that will work in different environments (physics versions)? i don't even know where to begin researching this.....

as always thanks for your help Ilan :)
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi beverly,

My recommendation would be to put a disclaimer in your product listing regarding known issues, such as it not working with OpenSim 0.9.0 (which I must point out is still a development version, has not been officially released, and shouldn't be used in a production environment).

We are unable to know in advance whether a grid we deliver items to will have some issue with merchants' products. If the grid uses an up-to-date release version of OpenSim and a physics engine which the merchant tested his or her products on then there shouldn't be surprises, but the only thing we can verify is that the items we deliver are delivered in the same state they were in when the merchants added them to Kitely Market.
beverly Zauberflote

Thanks for the info and suggestion to do the disclaimer Ilan, but as you know people don't read so I am turning off export on all of my structures in order to avoid having to give out tons of refunds. Hopefully when/if my things work with 0.9.0 I can turn it back on :)
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

The problem with turning off Export is that it stops those of us in Kitely from saving complete back-ups of regions. If anything from Kitely Market doesn't have Export perms, it is excluded from the OAR file.

I always buy Export even though I'm based in Kitely for exactly that reason.

And you know I'm a fan of Witchy's...
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
beverly Zauberflote
beverly Zauberflote

I know that is a problem Dot and I was thinking specifically of you when I amended my descriptions this morning. I amended the descriptions on my houses/structures (the only items I am taking off of export) to indicate that if you are on Kitely, GCG or Zangrid I will make sure an export version gets to you.

I know it is not ideal but having stuff in the ether that doesn't work is not good for the stores rep :). And in my experience putting a disclaimer will not work as people don't typically read. I have had ppl contact me for the size/prim counts of items that were clearly listed in the description lol. Of the 4 people that had issues with my houses on Baller, only one contacted me. Last night I had to refund 4 people on the baller nation grid that had each bought multiple houses. I made a workaround for them so they can use the houses but it is not ideal (used lots of prims lol)...

Soooo I need to go to the other grids I have sold items to and see if my structures are working there (digiworldz, metropolis, craftworld). then I will add them to the list of grids I will deliver export versions to.

I wish I had a better solution and maybe someone will come up with an idea I haven't thought of. I am open to any and all suggestions/ideas! :)

and lastly, thank you so much for being a fan!!!

p.s. after doing some more research...the problem I am having with 0.9.0 might be fixable. I thought of trying this last night before seeing this info from Seth Nygard. So tonight I will try by making a physics model for one of the houses and see if that solves the issue. (I am hopeful.....)
Quoting Seth Nygard re. 0.9.0 at (https://plus.google.com/100190052320604 ... 1fJWXnHayC) "If no physics mesh is defined then the object will have a convex hull and you can not walk through openings such as doors. The only fix is to re-load the mesh(es) with a defined physics, or set the mesh object(s) as phantom and add invisible prims to define the collision faces for the physics. This has potential to break a great deal of existing content on regions running ubODE."
These users thanked the author beverly Zauberflote for the post:
Dot Matrix