Kitely News: What needs doing

Talk about community-managed projects in Kitely
Dot Matrix

Re: Kitely News: What needs doing

Post by Dot Matrix »

Excellent post, Kat. I agree!

Would the following structure work?

A pdf newspaper/magazine for indepth articles, analysis and comment -- maybe once a month? Or would that be too often? (I know how much work this entails.) Archival material.

Blog (or forum post here, which would be my preference) of blogs, key forum posts, Google+/Facebook stuff -- a summary posted once a week.

Inworld daily/nightly bulletin of news snippets, using Dundridge's Virtually Newsworthy boards.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Kat Lemieux
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

I'll be interested in seeing how this works because I am not really clear on the details, probably because I have never paid one whit's attention to inworld publications. I admit that has a great deal to do with the fact the ones I have had work published in have been very difficult to navigate. Maybe this one would be easier, who knows? And truthfully I quit allowing any of my work to be published in sl some time ago due to the change in TOS and how that might affect copyright issues. It is entirely possible that there is more accessible formatting for inworld publications available now than there was then.

I will keep on doing what I am doing, posting some inworld news on my Virtual World Notes Site and sharing some of that to forums here. If you all want to pick any of that up for use in the new publication being proposed, just ask.

BTW, I used to write an arts column for a real life newspaper and was an editor for my college paper. I do not envy anyone taking on such tasks (especially the editing). You have my support and my sympathy (in advance).
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post:
Marstol Nitely
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I don't envy who does the layout. My friend Sunbeam Magic, who ran that inworld mag I mentioned, did all that, and once a month was a lot of work as she told me.

It is also one of the reasons I did not take it on after she was banned in that grid, I just could not fill her shoes.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Maria Korolov
Has thanked: 0

Post by Maria Korolov »

A friend is currently working on a Wordpress plugin for me that will turn Hypergrid Business article pages into images that can be imported into an in-world object. As soon as that's working I'll have newspaper kiosks set up where folks can pick up a copy of the paper.

For the folks who mentioned exposing more non-OpenSim folks to OpenSim, one piece of good news is that half of our monthly readers at Hypergrid Business are new to our publication -- they come through in-bound links, searches, social media, etc... That adds up to about 12,000 - 13,000 different new people a month being exposed to what we do here and getting the opportunity to browse the rest of the site.

Which reminds me -- I was going to put more "newbie-friendly" articles in the resources section... going to go do that now!
These users thanked the author Maria Korolov for the post (total 6):
Freda FrostbiteConstance PeregrineCarlos LoffMarstol NitelySelby EvansKat Lemieux
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

Lay-out is hell. I did lay-out for college paper and do it for my books now. It makes me consider wrist slitting every time. When it is time to lay-out a book, I will be pretty much going underground so as not to inflict my rage on anyone other than myself.
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineMarstol Nitely
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Maria Korolov wrote:A friend is currently working on a Wordpress plugin for me that will turn Hypergrid Business article pages into images that can be imported
Cool - might be easier to go for a streamlined child theme with a custom reader that posts directly in world though :)
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Kat Lemieux
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

I would "like" what you said Dundridge if I had even an inkling what you said. :P
These users thanked the author Marstol Nitely for the post:
Freda Frostbite
Kat Lemieux

Post by Kat Lemieux »

There is another news outlet that I failed to mention, even though I have come to like it in the short time it has been available. If you have not yet joined the Kitely group, Town Crier, and you want to get the notices a few times a week (and send your own), by all means join up.
These users thanked the author Kat Lemieux for the post (total 2):
Marstol NitelyFreda Frostbite
Kristan Paige
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kristan Paige »

Crazy people. I love lay out. It's relaxing and creative. It's actually one of the top three things I miss about newspaper work.

Anyway, I checked back to see how this conversation was progressing, and I doubt I'll be back. Good luck to you all, with everything. :D
These users thanked the author Kristan Paige for the post (total 2):
Dot MatrixMarstol Nitely