Kitely News: What needs doing

Talk about community-managed projects in Kitely
Selby Evans

Re: Kitely News: What needs doing

Post by Selby Evans »

Freda Frostbite wrote:Are you meaning an inworld publication, Dot? Or one here in the forums? Or online somewhere else?

I am not much in favor of duplicating work already being done and really do wonder how much attention folks pay to inworld publications. I am not necessarily against the idea, BTW, just trying to get a handle on what it would be. Also recognizing that I personally cannot take on any more, not that anyone was asking-- it's just the question I ask myself whenever writing/publishing/events related tasks are mentioned, cuz those would be my three areas of expertise. Well, there is music too but rarely does the need for inworld opera or lieder get mentioned anywhere. LOL
I am not at all interested in an inworld publication. What I would recommend is an outworld publication about inworld things. Note that Facebook, G+, and blogs are not inworld. They are available to the outworld. I want to see publications that are read by that big world out there and tell some of those people what is available in virtual worlds and Kitely, in particular. That is what I try to do in my blog.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Kat Lemieux
Kristan Paige
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kristan Paige »

Kat, thank you for your glowing compliments concerning the M2. I do feel that the M2 helped to build a community in Second Life, but I don't think it's because it was a newspaper per se.

Many of us here know that you can meet people online and become true friends, even if you never meet them. Many of us here know you can meet someone online and fall in love, in spite of never seeing them in real life. Many of us here know the difference between an online video game and a virtual world.

When Second Life was starting, and when I came along, that wasn't necessarily the case. We had people who thought of SL as just another video game. We had some people who viewed it as a 3D chat program.

Because the M2 acted like a real world publication, the perception of Second Life shifted. Even in some real world articles, the journalist would write that SL "even had its own newspaper in PDF format." We did everything a real life publication would do, save for actually sending files to a printing company for press.

Soon, other entities came into being that helped SL seem more like a community. The SL Library is one such example. And soon there were people in SL who didn't view it as a game or chat program, but as a virtual community.

I do agree in community building. You want people to invest in what you are doing here, and the best way to do that is to build a strong community. However, I'm not sure that a news source like the M2 is the way to do that. As others have said, there are plenty of blogs, etc, already available for Kitely. I think you just need to find a way to pull people together, some type of virtual water cooler where people will gather and share.

That said, if anyone does wish to start a PDF newspaper (not a magazine), I am more than willing to give advice and support. Feel free to e-mail me at savvykatt@gmail.com/.
These users thanked the author Kristan Paige for the post (total 3):
Dot MatrixPhoenix PsalteryKat Lemieux
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

I have little interest in stuff that is exclusively out-of-world, we are all virtual people in a virtual world, so why leave ?
Immersion is everything. Virtual world technology is behind where it could be, lets push that forwards :D

I do however have the technology to mirror in-world to websites quite nicely, supports web publishing so if people like Selby can contain themselves both can be achieved :D

On the other hand, we have forums which pretty much everyone seems to read..

Last edited by Dundridge Dreadlow on Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

The idea for out-world publications is to point folks in-world, Dundridge. Lots of people in my rl did not get what I was doing in VWs at all til I started writing about it on my website. Now, many of them have come inworld and tried it out. Also, for those of us with dual (or quadruple) virtual world citizenship, it is nice to find event and location listings somewhere on the web at large. It was in fact a blog entry on Seanchai Library's website that brought me to Kitely. Had I not read their events on the web, I never would have known Kitely existed.

Seriously, does anyone actually read inworld publications who does not create one or who is not connected with the people who create them? Hate to be so blunt, but I never bother with them unless they are publishing my own poetry. I find inworld mags difficult to use and don't often notice them anyway.

And for the record, I am a *real* person in a virtual world.
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansShandon Loring
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

I need more tech to be a real person :)
face mapping, body capture, bio-rigging, people using voice..

:P
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post (total 2):
Freda FrostbiteJohnny Magic
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

Ok I want that thing you posted above. It will dosplay my website inworld? Is it on the market? Dang, I keep finding reasons to shop.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Freda Frostbite
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Freda Frostbite wrote:The idea for out-world publications is to point folks in-world, Dundridge. Lots of people in my rl did not get what I was doing in VWs at all til I started writing about it on my website. Now, many of them have come inworld and tried it out. Also, for those of us with dual (or quadruple) virtual world citizenship, it is nice to find event and location listings somewhere on the web at large. It was in fact a blog entry on Seanchai Library's website that brought me to Kitely. Had I not read their events on the web, I never would have known Kitely existed.

Seriously, does anyone actually read inworld publications who does not create one or who is not connected with the people who create them? Hate to be so blunt, but I never bother with them unless they are publishing my own poetry. I find inworld mags difficult to use and don't often notice them anyway.

And for the record, I am a *real* person in a virtual world.
Though I can't be involved in any of this, I used to work with someone and a few others on an inworld magazine in a grid....it was so sought after people would contact us regularly to have the delivery kiosks given them for their shops/parcels/regions/malls.

It was a rather nice kiosk also. The mag was a wearable hud [or could be rezzed on the ground] [similar scripts can be found opensource] and click to change pages.

We charged a small fee for advertising in certain regards, as I vaguely recall. People were always asking if they could be in it.

At that time i didnt do much outworld at all other than a lame commercial blog for a short time i rather did not want to do anyways.

The inworld magazine was kinda fun tho, for a while.

Various of us would take a certain angle on something grid wide and do an article, get photos, talk to folx. It was a very good resource for the grid.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 3):
Dot MatrixFreda FrostbiteKat Lemieux
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

I used to keep several different SL "newspapers" and "magazines" spread about at my boutique cafe in SL. I didn't like reading them in world, but I knew some people did and they made great props. With today's tech it is relatively easy to have the same publication available both inworld and online. Much easier than it was then and I believe at least one of the publications had in world and off. Then the readers can decide how they prefer their news.
These users thanked the author Marstol Nitely for the post (total 6):
Constance PeregrineDot MatrixFreda FrostbiteDundridge DreadlowKat LemieuxPaislee Myrtle
Kat Lemieux

Post by Kat Lemieux »

Maybe what we really need is all of the above? I like blogs, in world bulletin boards, forums and all the rest, but what we presently do not have is a "journal of record" that is presented in an archivable format, like PDF. Sorry to harp on what is after all a technology that was introduced shortly after CD-Recordable became a practical reality (the context with which I tend to date things), but it does still work, and as I mentioned in my first post, I have been able to refer to issues of Metaverse Messenger from 2006 for purposes of this discussion. How many blogs or forum posts or bulletin board prims last that long? I know mine haven't.

Of course, longevity is only one feature. Another aspect that works better with an outer-world format like PDF (or even paper!) is the ability to present long form journalism without neglecting more immediate news items. Dundridge's in-world bulletin board system would be a perfect complement to a "Kitely Nightly" news publication, IMO. It is perfect for both breaking news and for pointing readers to somewhere to get more in-depth information, even if it is perhaps not suited for a multipage article. I'd hesitate to commit to publishing a daily, or nightly, if I was going to do this, but the "Kitely Nightly" name Selby suggested is just too delicious ;-)
These users thanked the author Kat Lemieux for the post (total 3):
Dot MatrixDundridge DreadlowPaislee Myrtle