Virtual land rental info to newbies/migrants

Talk about community-managed projects in Kitely
Mike Lorrey

Virtual land rental info to newbies/migrants

Post by Mike Lorrey »

As was discussed at the Sunday community meeting, there is a communications gap between residents who have land available for newbs and migrants to use til they are settled into Kitely and want to get their own region. There were a number of recommendations including:

a) Getting inworld search working so people can find classifieds, land listings, etc as they are used to doing in SL
b) Having a user-droppable billboard in the Welcome Area region, like exist in a number of high traffic SL welcome areas, into which residents can drop ad textures and notecards/landmarks for new visitors to peruse.
c) have well indicated clickable devices that open a kitely forum board of land listings.

Ozwell has indicated he would be amenable to adding these things to the Welcome region if Ilan okayed it. Fixing inworld search is more of a developmental coding issue. Does anyone else have other ideas?
These users thanked the author Mike Lorrey for the post (total 5):
Elbereth Elentari 2Ilan TochnerKeith SelmesNatalie OeSelby Evans
Selby Evans

Re: Virtual land rental info to newbies/migrants

Post by Selby Evans »

Mike Lorrey wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:17 pm
As was discussed at the Sunday community meeting, there is a communications gap between residents who have land available for newbs and migrants to use til they are settled into Kitely and want to get their own region. There were a number of recommendations including:

a) Getting inworld search working so people can find classifieds, land listings, etc as they are used to doing in SL
b) Having a user-droppable billboard in the Welcome Area region, like exist in a number of high traffic SL welcome areas, into which residents can drop ad textures and notecards/landmarks for new visitors to peruse.
c) have well indicated clickable devices that open a kitely forum board of land listings.

Ozwell has indicated he would be amenable to adding these things to the Welcome region if Ilan okayed it. Fixing inworld search is more of a developmental coding issue. Does anyone else have other ideas?
I don't see a problem with inworld search. Using Firestorm, I open it with Ctrl+f and find listings for people and groups. In Classifieds, my search for free got six hits. I got no hits for free land (in classifieds) but I suppose that is because there are no listings.

Under Places I searched for free land and got a long string of hits. I guess the problem is that Kitely Search is not adequately promoted. I did a previous article on it and will do another now that it has come up,
https://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com ... s-and.html
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

I checked Kitely "Explore Worlds" web page and searched for free land. I found none.
I then searched for Freebies and found over 20.
I searched for sandbox and found 15.

I think the reason I found no free land is that the owners offering free land did not mention it in their web listing.
They probably did not mention it there because they did not think of the web pages as a promotion vehicle.

Kitely has both inworld search and web based search. These are value-added features that could be promoted by Kitely. They should be attractive for users who have something to promote on their land.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Alexina Proctor
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Comments on Mike's suggestions:

Inworld search already works in Kitely. That is not well enough promoted

Could be useful

Good idea

I have article on this coming out this weekend.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Alexina Proctor
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Selby,

A couple of Kitely blog articles worth mentioning:

Search for People, Groups, Places, Events and Classifieds

Improved Searching for Users and Worlds