Late payment subscription, change of pricing in May?

Ask questions about your Kitely account or payment options
Zuza Ritt

Late payment subscription, change of pricing in May?

Post by Zuza Ritt »

I supposed month subscription is charged in SLT/PST time zone. It is not true, it is sooner. So I was late with payment for my legacy 40 USD world. I wanted to pay it immediatelly I found it, so I changed my billing options for "Paypal, or KC if you have some." There was only one window, no options, which pushed me not only pay one time 40 USD, but to make a reccurring subscription for 40 USD every month. I cancelled this reccuring payment, which worked as I expected, one time payment was made and no recurring payments will be payed. Now I found this description in my world:
This is a Fixed-Price World, so you are not charged for the time that anyone spends inside it. However, this world will become a Metered World on May 1, 2014, at which time you will start paying for the time that some users spend inside it (unless you block them). The following prices are the current prices.

For me everything look ok now, but the change of my world to Metered one does not seem right. Is this some mistake in description made by "canceling" my subscription? Subscription which I never wanted to do, but I was pushed, because of no posibility to choose, what I wanted to pay. Or this change is permanent, I will pay 40USD for world AND pay for time spent by people there from May? Seriously?
In which time zone are monthly subscription charged? Because it is not PST. How can I pay my late payment for world without making recurring subscription? Because the process is pretty confusing now. Buying KC is not option too, I do not want KC, I would like to pay for my world once.
I live among the trees. You are invited too:) Visit 21strom.
My Kitely Market. 21strom webpage.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Late payment subscription, change of pricing in May?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Zuza,

We work with GMT hours and the exact charge time depends on PayPal.

When you set a payment method to one of the options that include PayPal and then cancel the PayPal subscription via the PayPal site instead of changing it to "Only KC" via our site, our system detects an inability to charge you using the payment method you selected and notifies you that your subscriptions will automatically be downgraded the next time the system will need to bill you (because it can no longer bill you using the payment method you specified). The way to pay one month at a time is to set payment method to "PayPal", wait for the next billing period to charge your account then (if you don't want the subscription) switch the payment method in your Kitely Settings page to "KC Only". This will ensure the PayPal subscription will be canceled without the account being set for automatic downgrade the next month.

Worlds are either billed as fixed-price worlds OR as Metered Worlds. They can't be both at the same time. The message you received indicated that you payed for April to have the world as a fixed-price 1-Region Legacy World but that since you canceled your subscription via PayPal and we therefore have no way to charge your account using the payment method you set ("PayPal, or KC if you have some") that next month the world will become a Metered World.

Is that clearer? :-)
Zuza Ritt

Post by Zuza Ritt »

Ilan, thanks for your quick answer. It is clearer, but... I would like to tell you, what I am expecting:)
When I have 3 payment options, Paypal - KC + PayPal, or Kitely Credits whenever possible, that is what I am expecting:

- Paypal - means I am paying by PayPal only and do not want anything else. Subscription is expected.
- KC - I am paying by KC only. It is how Kitely works, so it is expected.
- PayPal, or Kitely Credits whenever possible - I am expecting, I will pay by KC usually, and when no KC available, I can pay by Paypal, once. It requires my manual action. I am really not expecting any subscription.

It is just my way how to understand the options, I did not find any FAQ for this all process particularly (maybe I overlooked something somewhere?)

GMT is fine, but Paypal obviously not work in GMT only:) At least not for me, because at March, 31th, 23:40 of PST time (Apr. 1, 6:40 AM GMT) I payed my one time fee and made "subscription" for every 30th of month. Paypal details:
Start Date: Apr 30, 2014, Payment Cycle: Monthly

It was really charged and March 31th, so I obviously have PST time on my account. It is no problem for me, just saying:)
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Zuza,

Part of our ability to keep prices low is to minimize the amount of manual work we have to do, including having to deal with customer support issues relating to billing. Leaving a system where we can't automatically charge the user's PayPal or KC balances means more support calls as people sometimes have periodic issues making PayPal payments.

The way you make one-time payments in Kitely is using KC, you buy them whenever you need them. There isn't a way to pay the exact amount in one transaction when doing so for the $40 legacy world but it is possible for the new Standard World type.

Going forward I highly suggest you never cancel subscriptions to Kitely via PayPal but rather do so using our Settings page (switching the payment method to "Only KC" cancels your PayPal subscription for our service). If you never want to have a PayPal subscription then stick with "Only KC" and just buy more KC when prompted that your bill is due and you don't have enough KC left in your account to pay for the transaction.

Regarding the billing time, what time on March 31 was your account charged? Was it already April 1 in GMT?
Zuza Ritt

Post by Zuza Ritt »

I was charged exactly that time I wrote in my last answer. Which means "subscription" was set on 30th of month. Which is nonsense, you will never charged me again in KC at 1st of the month, when there is subscription set for 30th of the month. There is no other way how the subscription could be changed, there was no such option on me Paypal account, there was only option to cancel it.
And I really, really dont see any mistake on my side of all process.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Zuza,

You didn't make any mistake in setting up the payment,the subscription was created for the 30th (in your time zone) but please note it states payment cycle "Monthly" not "every 30 days". We configured PayPal to bill accounts on the 1st of the month GMT so the time you create your PayPal subscription is irrelevant (e.g. some people upgrade plans during the middle of the month).

Our system detects changes made via PayPal but it can't know your intentions when you make the changes in PayPal instead of via the Kitely interface. If it sees a subscription has been canceled it assumes you no longer want the Kitely services the PayPal subscription was created to pay for. The way to let our system know your intentions is to either change the payment method option in the Kitely Settings page or change the world type in the Manage World dialog.

There was no way for you to know this, we aren't blaming you, I'm just explaining :-)