Photos and video look great, Zuza!
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Zuza RittOzwell Wayfarer
ZenWarrior Fuosing
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Introducing Kitely Evergreen Island

Post by ZenWarrior Fuosing »

Ilan Tochner wrote:We are happy to announce that Kitely has a new world template option: Kitely Evergreen Island. Now whenever you create a new Kitely world you’ll have the option to start off with your own free copy of this beautiful Alpine island.
Thanks. It's too bad I have no idea what I'm doing and can find little from Kitely that quickly and easily gets me at least started. I have six hours of play time with my new world and so far have wasted two of them because there's no clear guidance about what to do or how. But if you're selling confusion and doubt, thanks for all the freebies. Just throwing the template out there and hoping for the best may be doing more harm than good. I'm now leaving very frustrated and wonder when I'll be back. I see nothing I'll be missing if it's never.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

First, welcome, ZenWarrior.

Did you find the signs in the cabin? They are meant to help people get going -- click on them for further information. What else would be useful there? (Genuine question -- if they currently aren't helping, how can they be improved?)

One of the signs in the cabin is for joining the inworld Kitely Community Group. You can use inworld group chat to find others -- ask questions etc. People are usually very happy to help if they can.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Shandon LoringIlan TochnerOzwell Wayfarer
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi ZenWarrior,

When you create a Kitely account you are shown a Welcome to Kitely window that guides you to first visit the Kitely Welcome Center where you can find getting started information: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Il ... ome-Center

The Kitely Evergreen Island world template also includes some getting started information in the form of signs inside the single cabin in that world. The sign in the landing spot where you log into that world directs you to find that information there.

Building a virtual world, especially one that uses Second Life-derived viewers requires a learning curve. Most people who open a Kitely account have experience building in the Second Life or OpenSim ecosystem. For those people, getting their own trial world enables them to quickly start building and seeing the benefits Kitely has to offer. If you lack such experience then you will need additional guidance before you can create the things you want. That is why we direct new users to information that can help them get started both inside the Kitely Welcome Center and inside their own free world (if they choose the popular Kitely Evergreen World option).

The Kitely forums include a lot of information and people that can help you. All you need to do is ask for help in a way that encourages people in the Kitely community to come to your aid.

Can you please tell us what specifically you need our assistance with?
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Shandon LoringOzwell WayfarerChris Namaste
Matthew Kendal
Has thanked: 0

Post by Matthew Kendal »

I just bought my first sim because of the Evergreen Island option. It made it much easier to get a little cottage setup and furnished quickly so I don't look like a complete noob. I added the land bridge from World's End to connect the island just off shore to the main island. I saw the reply's how to increase to a 2x2 so I'm going to do that next.

Thanks, to everyone who worked on this. It makes it much easier for new people.
These users thanked the author Matthew Kendal for the post (total 7):
Ilan TochnerShandon LoringDot MatrixOzwell WayfarerZuza Rittskindup trukSerene Jewell
Saggio Tisch

Post by Saggio Tisch »

Just began working with my trial region before deciding on upgrading to one of the regular subscriptions. I'm using the Evergreen Island which I love as a starting area, but I would like some additional undeveloped land for further building. If I subscribe to the 2x2 plan (four regions) will they automatically all look like Evergreen Island, or can they be flat land (or perhaps one be the Universal Campus)?

I hope to use the land for educational purposes, an art gallery and some other potential uses down the road. My building experience is limited so I'd like to make use of the sample regions used for trial island or perhaps an AOR file for one or more of the regions.

Thanks
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Welcome to Kitely, Saggio!

You can turn your Trial World into a Standard World, then enlarge it to a 2x2 via the Manage button on the world page. The additional three regions will be flat land that you can terraform to whatever you would like.

However, if you want to upload an OAR, you won't be able to retain the Evergreen Island template, and it isn't possible to upload separate OARs to different regions of the same world. Instead you would need to combine the OARs offline using a tool such as Ferd's Dreamworldz installer or Sim-on-a-Stick, then upload the combined OAR to your Kitely world.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Headmaster Q

Post by Headmaster Q »

Ilan Tochner wrote:We are happy to announce that Kitely has a new world template option: Kitely Evergreen Island. Now whenever you create a new Kitely world you’ll have the option to start off with your own free copy of this beautiful Alpine island. Kitely Evergreen Island includes optimized mesh content from some of Kitely Market’s top selling merchants.

https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... en-island/
Hoping you can help! I'm brand new to Kitely. I began with the smallest property and chose Kitty Evergreen. I liked the look very much and so immediately upgraded to the standard 2x2... but IT'S MOSTLY A DREARY FLAT GRASSLAND that doesn't match at all to the Evergreen landscape!! HELP!! IS there any way to extend the Evergreen landscape to the entire land mass?

Thank you for any hope anyone can give. :)
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Headmaster,

The Kitely Evergreen Island world template was designed as a single-region world. If the world type you selected supports bigger worlds then you can increase the world size but, as you've noted, that doesn't automatically terraform the new area you add to the same theme as the template you chose when you created your world. You can, however, terrafom the land yourself either using the viewer terraforming tools or using content you can acquire from Kitely Market.

This page explains more about terraforming: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Terraforming (it was written for Second Life but these instructions are relevant for OpenSim as well)
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Hello Headmaster Q -- Welcome to Kitely :)

Several people have done something similar to what you are doing. Evergreen Island is such a lovely region and makes a good seed for a bigger area.

It can take time to properly develop the flat areas when the Evergreen Island is first expanded but one quick trick you might try is to sink it beneath the water level (the sea always looks far better than flat land).

To do this quickly, select large chunks of the flat land in "Edit Terrain", select the "Lower" radio button on the left, then click the "Apply" button. If you are left with any "edges" use "Flatten" with the bulldozer to make them the same height as the lowered land.

Then you can further develop the land as and when you have time.

If you don't want the appearance of endless ocean, several merchants offer off-sim surrounds. You'll probably want to use one from Worlds End to tie in with the style of Evergreen Island, for example this one: https://www.kitely.com/market/product/1 ... m-Surround
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerHeadmaster Q