Why does PayPal payment for plan not work?

Ask questions about your Kitely account or payment options
Min Tigerpaw

Why does PayPal payment for plan not work?

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

I tried to change to silver plan by using PayPal payment but it is refused by PayPal every time I tried while it's no problem at all to buy KC via PayPal ...what's the trick? :roll:
Ilan Tochner

Re: Why does PayPal payment for plan not work?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Min,

Are you paying with a business credit card?

Are you using an American credit card or one issued in another country?
Min Tigerpaw

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

I pay with private credit card issued in Germany
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Min,

Is it offered under the umbrella of an international credit card processor (such as VISA, Mastercard, etc.)?
Min Tigerpaw

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

Yup ....it is, maybe they still have an old preferred payment mode somewhere hidden in the systems as I had as preferred payment mode direct charging of my bank-account before - however I changed that several days back and the KC transaction 2 days ago was charged to the credit card!
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

That could be the cause. Buying KC is a one-time transaction that doesn't require setting up recurring payments whereas ordering a plan requires creating an ongoing subscription - something which I'm not sure can be done with direct bank payments. Have you tried talking to them about this?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Min,

If you want to be on a plan but can't overcome the PayPal subscription creation problem you're encountering then you can use the following method:

1) Go to the in the Settings page of your account http://www.kitely.com/settings

2) Press the "Change payment method" link to switch your account payment method to "Only Kitely Credits"

3) Press the "Buy credits" link and buy enough Kitely Credits to cover your expected expenses for several months (so you won't have to remember buying more every month).

4) Press the "Change plan" link and upgrade to your desired plan (the payment method you set in step 2 will enable you to skip the creation of a PayPal subscription).

After that, just keep an eye on your KC balance and, if it goes to low, then just buy more Kitely Credits to make sure you have enough to cover your next month's bill.

This method is also useful if you earn enough KC inworld, or in the Kitely Market, to cover your monthly plan thus saving you from having to buy more KC.
Min Tigerpaw

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

Thanks Ilan, figured that out as well as a solution - have done so and it worked :lol: - however the principle why the other approach doesn't work should be clarified! :?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Min,

I saw your order, thank you :-)

I wish I knew why PayPal sometimes doesn't allow creating subscriptions while accepting one-time payments from the exact same credit card. We googled it and it seems that this is a known problem for some business credit cards and some international credit cards. Some of our other customers had contacted PayPal in the past about it and received very unhelpful replies. In fact, that is what prompted us to create the workaround you just used.