Timing availability of islands within a Virtual Private Network

Ask questions and report issues concerning our Organizations offering
Eileen O'Connor

Timing availability of islands within a Virtual Private Network

Post by Eileen O'Connor »

If I only want some islands being managed through a VPN to be available at specific times, is there a way to set that? Or as the administrator do I attach then detach the island? I don't want some islands that kids will be visiting to be open without supervision so I am wonder how to control TIMES for access. Thanks. eileen
These users thanked the author Eileen O'Connor for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Timing availability of islands within a Virtual Private Network

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Eileen,

You can add the worlds you want to have changing access limitations to a World Group, let's call it "Only with Supervision". Add permission for your "Students" User Group to visit the "Only with Supervision" World group when those students are supervised and simply remove that permission when they aren't. This enables you to modify the permissions for multiple users accessing multiple worlds by changing a single setting in the Organization management website.

You can have users assigned to multiple User Groups at the same time and, similarly, have worlds assigned to multiple World Groups at the same time. This enables you to easily manage many different aspects of your organization without having to manually change them separately. Simply add the relevant world or user to the relevant group and, when you want, change the relevant permission for the desired User Group in relations to the relevant World Group. In other words, our system enables you to easily manage multiple N to M relationships. It has a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it you'll be able to do a lot of things that are hard to manage using other virtual world systems.

The Kitely API enables you to make various changes to your Organization programmatically, which enables you to automate some behaviors, such as enabling you to make automatic changes to User/World groups when you log into your organization's website (e.g. your School's LMS, such as Moodle). This requires programming, which we won't do for you, but any half-decent programmer should be able to use our API to add that functionality to your system with ease.

You can read a bit more about our API here: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... -api-beta/
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Eileen O'Connor
Eileen O'Connor

Post by Eileen O'Connor »

Thanks for the info, Ilan. These are all the things I will need to learn - towards the end of the semester when I can turn to this more "full blast." There is wonderful flexibility in there. Eileen
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Eileen,

We're working on adding even more management features to our Organizations offering to enable teachers and other group managers to gain a level of control that is very hard to achieve on other systems.