Why do my guests land in the water sometimes?

Ask questions and report issues concerning our Organizations offering
Freda Frostbite

Why do my guests land in the water sometimes?

Post by Freda Frostbite »

I am having soem trouble getting all my LMs to work. At Belle Terre, we have a main landing and we have open tp, meaning I have the lad page set so that a person can land anywhere in the region, not be forced always to go to our main landing. Folks who come in from the HG, using our grid address in the map seem always to land underwater in a corner of the region. How can I fix that? Is there a way to make HG addresses send them to a specific spot in the region or to make sure they land in our main landing, where there are region destination tps set up?

Thanks
Freda
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Why do my guests land in the water sometimes?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Freda,

If you allow people to teleport into your world into any location they want then they won't be rerouted to your Landing Point.

Please see https://community.secondlife.com/forums ... ent-940917
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Freda Frostbite
Freda Frostbite

Not sure this addresses my problem. I mean, I already have a landing pad (a central teleport hub) and the land page settings allow people to teleport anywhere they want. I don't want folks to land at our landing pad alpl the time. Sometimes, I want them to land at the location of a specific event. I just have the landing pad for explorers who come to wander, not to attend. Since I have chosen a landing point, I would think all of our visitors who come without a specific grid address would land at our designated landing pad and that those who have a specific LM or grid address for an event would land in that event's location. Still, some of our folks coming from the HG land in a corner of the sim underwater.
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post:
Selby Evans
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

You can automatically route people to a starting position (a landing point or a telehub) or you can let them teleport into any location they want (using coordinates, the map, or a Landmark).

However, even if you set a landing point or a telehub it will behave differently for you (the world owner) then it will for your world's visitors:
  • Login always uses the starting position.
  • Lure always ignores the starting position (i.e., the user appears next to the user that invited him).
  • Landmarks work only for the world owner. Non-owners appear at the starting position.
  • Teleporting via the Map always uses the starting position.
  • Teleporting inside the region always ignores the starting position.
OpenSim's teleport and login behavior is even more complicated than described above but this should give you some idea of how this works.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Chris NamasteFreda FrostbiteAlexina Proctor
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Freda Frostbite wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:30 pm
Not sure this addresses my problem. I mean, I already have a landing pad (a central teleport hub) and the land page settings allow people to teleport anywhere they want. I don't want folks to land at our landing pad alpl the time. Sometimes, I want them to land at the location of a specific event. I just have the landing pad for explorers who come to wander, not to attend. Since I have chosen a landing point, I would think all of our visitors who come without a specific grid address would land at our designated landing pad and that those who have a specific LM or grid address for an event would land in that event's location. Still, some of our folks coming from the HG land in a corner of the sim underwater.
This may help:
Kitely: A simple way to move the landing point from center
https://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com ... e-way.html
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post (total 2):
Freda FrostbiteAlexina Proctor
Freda Frostbite

Thanks, Selby, that is indeed very helpful. I will try it. Ilan, thanks for clearing the fog some.