Scripts and Organisation World Archives

Ask questions and report issues concerning our Organizations offering
Sue Caxton

Scripts and Organisation World Archives

Post by Sue Caxton »

Using the Organisation Dashboard, I created a World Archive of Apps@RezMela, which belongs to the avie RezMela Apps (RA for short).

Using the Dashboard again, I loaded the new archive into Hub@RezMela, which belongs to my avie. The problem was, I couldn't sign into any of the apps, and nor could RA (though all of them belong to RA).

RA reset the scripts of one of the apps, and a whole load of script errors popped up:

Code: Select all

OSSL Permission Error: osSetDynamicTextureDataBlendFace permission denied
According to the Kitely blog Supported OSSL Functions, I as World Manager should have permission to run these.

What do we need to do to allow other members of the organisation to use the apps if prebuilt set-ups are stored as World Archives and loaded into those members' own worlds?
These users thanked the author Sue Caxton for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Scripts and Organisation World Archives

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sue,

This shouldn't have happened. We'll look into it.
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

I assume you don't really want to use RA: you want your own avatar to be able to use the Apps. But just for information, the reason that RA got a scripting error is that this user doesn't have permission to use the function osSetDynamicTextureDataBlendFace. You could solve this by adding the user RA to the list of Estate Managers. (Every OSSL function that is restricted to the World Manager is also allowed for use by the Estate Managers. I have updated the blog post to reflect this.) But again, this probably isn't what you want.

The question is: why did your own avatar fail to use the Apps?

I looked at the world logs and I didn't see any error (scripting or otherwise). So my current guess is that perhaps the World Archive doesn't contain all of the assets required to run the Apps. World Archives aren't allowed to contain no-copy items or assets. Is it possible that there's anything like that in the source world?

Although I've said that you don't want to use RA, that user can be useful for testing. Try adding the user to the Estate Managers, and then letting it try to use the Apps. Do they work now?
Sue Caxton

Post by Sue Caxton »

Thanks for looking into this, Oren.

Using my Sue Caxton avie, I am able to sign into and use the apps on Apps@Rezmela. I cleared the scenes in world, so that just the base apps were left. Again, I could sign in to them.

Next I made a fresh World Archive of Apps@Rezmela using the Organisation Dashboard. I then loaded it into my own world, Landscaping@Rezmela. I can't sign into any of the apps now.

To see if assets were not being included, RA used the standard Kitely web interface to export Apps@Rezmela. Here's the Export World Report. Just one object was omitted, and 133 assets, it seems (but no clue given as to which these were.
Screenshot 2020-09-13 at 17.13.44.png
Screenshot 2020-09-13 at 17.13.44.png (189.66 KiB) Viewed 5925 times
The OAR file was loaded back into Apps@Rezmela. RA can log into the apps and use them to load and create scenes, and so can Sue Caxton.

The same OAR file was loaded into Landscaping@Rezmela. Neither avie was able to log into the apps.

However, when the scripts were reset on individual apps, then both avies were able to log into and use the apps. (RA is an Estate Manager now.)

The non-working apps weren't showing their names on the log in prim switch. When the scripts were reset, the name appeared and the apps could be used by both avies. The name display depends on one of the osDynamicTexture commands (osSetDynamicTextureDataBlendFace ?)

I'll now see if the same technique works for the Organisation World Archive......

No, it doesn't work. When both avies try resetting the scripts, this error message is generated for each library module and switch prim:

Code: Select all

OSSL Permission Error: osSetDynamicTextureDataBlendFace permission denied. (Script: "HUD server v1.9.0", State: default, Event: state_entry, Prim: "!Activator!"/2cf3ab20-86c6-46ef-9548-eec7b234cca8 at <128, 128, 22.8>)
So there is a difference in behaviour between OAR files and Organisation World Archives.
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

Script permissions are tested according to the owner of the prim that contains the script. In your case, that is always the user RA. That's because all of the objects are owned by RA in the original world; so they're still owned by RA when you create a World Archive or OAR file; and they continue to be owned by RA when you create a world using this World Archive or OAR.

The relevant functions are allowed for either the World Owner or an Estate Manager. RA is not the world owner (Sue Caxton is). And I checked the world "Landscaping" just now, and RA is not defined as an Estate Manager there. That is why the scripts fail to run.

So this World Archive will only work correctly in a world where RA is an Estate Manager (or the world owner).

And there's another twist: the scripts are initialized when the world is created. But at that time RA is not yet an Estate Manager, so the scripts are initialized into a failed state, and they remain there. Adding RA as an Estate Manager later doesn't immediately help, because the scripts don't automatically reset. But if you reset the scripts after adding RA as an Estate Manager, then they'll start working.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post:
Selby Evans
Sue Caxton

Post by Sue Caxton »

Oren wrote:The relevant functions are allowed for either the World Owner or an Estate Manager. RA is not the world owner (Sue Caxton is). And I checked the world "Landscaping" just now, and RA is not defined as an Estate Manager there. That is why the scripts fail to run.

So this World Archive will only work correctly in a world where RA is an Estate Manager (or the world owner).
The reason RA was not defined as an Estate Manager is because loading the World Archive removed Estate Managers. Before that was done, RA was an Estate Manager.

On the other hand, when an OAR of Apps@Rezmela (RA's world) is loaded into Landscaping@Apps (my world), RA is NOT removed as an Estate Manager.
And there's another twist: the scripts are initialized when the world is created. But at that time RA is not yet an Estate Manager, so the scripts are initialized into a failed state, and they remain there. Adding RA as an Estate Manager later doesn't immediately help, because the scripts don't automatically reset. But if you reset the scripts after adding RA as an Estate Manager, then they'll start working.
When using the World Archive option, this worked for the apps my avie had permission to edit. But what a faff. And none of the other apps could be brought into a usable state.

With the OAR method, the apps my avie had permission to edit were ready to use without having to reset the scripts (because RA was still an Estate Manager when the OAR was loaded). However, the other apps were still unusable (I'll explore this aspect with the rest of the Rezmela team).

The World Archive issue with Estate Managers being removed is disappointing. I had hoped that using World Archives might be a way of quickly providing RezMela customers with a ready-to-use set of apps across their own land.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sue,

We've updated how Organizations handle Estate Managers, to make it more similar to how Prime Organizations work:

When a world is assigned to an Organization, any Estate Managers it had are removed and the Organization's Admins become Estate Managers in the world. This gives the Admins extensive permissions in the world. When a world is removed from an Organization, the Organization's Admins stop being its Estate Managers.

This will enable you to easily manage who is an Estate Manager in your Organization's worlds without having to manually add/remove people per world. It also saves you from having to manage the Estate Managers saved in World Archives, which is what you would have needed to do if they were restored from there.

Note that this means that people will need to be move careful about assigning worlds to Organizations owned by other people as the Organization's Admins will all become Estate Managers in those assigned worlds.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Sue CaxtonJohn Mela
Sue Caxton

Post by Sue Caxton »

Thank you, Ilan and Oren. I really appreciate this.
These users thanked the author Sue Caxton for the post:
Ilan Tochner