Ilan Tochner

Re: "The parcel is restricted" even when logging into the Welcome Center

Post by Ilan Tochner »

YVW John.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

For future reference, we checked and found the following:

John complained that whenever he tries to login in Firestorm he gets the error message: "The parcel is restricted". He said that this happened even when he tried to login to Kitely Welcome Center.

The parcel error was generated by the world "John's Lab". Why the user got a parcel error isn't in the scope of this complaint, so we didn't look at it. The only question is: why did we keep trying to enter the avatar into "John's Lab", even when he requested to go to "Kitely Welcome Center"?

According to our server logs, every single one of John's login attempts was to location "last". I.e., when Firestorm sent the login request to our system, it always sent the string "last". There was never any attempt that specified a world name. That's why we always tried to get him into "John's Lab".

So the next question was: why did Firestorm send the string "last" to our system, instead of the string "Kitely Welcome Center"?

According to the John's description, he never tried typing in the string "Kitely Welcome Center" into the login field. Instead, he clicked on the Kitely Welcome Center in the login page, and then he clicked "Login". That should have worked, but: his screenshot shows that the login field was set to "<Type region name>". According to our tests, this causes Firestorm to ignore the world that the user clicked in "Destinations". If the user had selected "Last location" instead then this would have worked.

Another thing we found: if a user clicks on a world in "Destinations", then selects "Last location", and then clicks "Login", then Firestorm will also send "last" to Robust, i.e. the user will not enter the world he had selected.

In conclusion, the proper sequence of events for users is:
1. Change the Login field to "Last location" (if it isn't already set to that)
2. Click on a world in the "Destinations" panel
3. Click "Login"

Any deviation from this might cause the user not to enter the world he expects.

By the way, clicking "Enter World" in the website solves a lot of these problems because it changes the definition of the "Last world" to that world.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Selby EvansJohn MelaFrank SquirrelHerder
John Mela

Post by John Mela »

Just to be clear, once I realised I wasn't able to get into my last location ("John's Lab"), I had several times tried typing "Kitely Welcome Center" into the login location field (where it says "<Type region name>"), which had the results I reported. That's what I was referring to in that first post:
Whatever I try gives the error "The parcel is restricted, and you are not on the access list". This happens even if I specify "Kitely Welcome Center" or "Kitely Merchants Sandbox" as the login location.
These users thanked the author John Mela for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerChris Namaste
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

John Mela wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:48 pm
Just to be clear, once I realised I wasn't able to get into my last location ("John's Lab"), I had several times tried typing "Kitely Welcome Center" into the login location field (where it says "<Type region name>"), which had the results I reported. That's what I was referring to in that first post:
Hi John! I don't know why the viewer would send the string "last" after you had typed in a region name. I just tried that myself to be sure (typing in a region name), and the viewer did send the name of the world that I typed in. So this is a mystery.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post (total 2):
John MelaChris Namaste
John Mela

Post by John Mela »

Hi Oren. Yes, that is very strange. Looks like it was a glitch at the viewer end, though, so not a Kitely issue. If it happens again I'll be sure to report it.
These users thanked the author John Mela for the post:
Chris Namaste
John Mela

Post by John Mela »

Something has just occurred to me. To make it easier to log into various grids using various account, I have a series of shortcuts (actually using Bayden SlickRun) that provide the login details on the command line, eg:

Code: Select all

D:\Firestorm\FirestormOS-Release.exe --set InstallLanguage en --login john mela mypassword -grid "Kitely" --set LoginLocation last
This is supposed to log me directly in using those parameters, but for some reason this functionality breaks every time Firestorm loses its passwords data (which is often), so it leaves me at the login screen but with the details pre-filled. I just then need to press Enter to log in.

I can imagine that in some circumstances, the LoginLocation command-line parameter is retained and overrides what is typed in. Maybe that explains why Firestorm was sending "last" instead of the region names I entered.