Export Perm: How Much Should It Cost?

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Sherrie Melody

Re: Export Perm: How Much Should It Cost?

Post by Sherrie Melody »

I wonder, does anybody know if it would be possible, or think it would be possible, programming wise (somewhere down the road, future) to make the kitely market so that you could set a product to C/M only, and allow someone to buy the product to be delivered to their grid of choice?

That would be really cool I think.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sherrie,

You can already set a product to be Copy, Modify, Export (without Transfer) and, once the Hypergrid delivery system is ready, buy it for delivery to another Hypergrid-enabled grid.

Or is that not what you were asking about?
Serendipity Seraph

Post by Serendipity Seraph »

I think it should be totally market and per item driven. Basically whatever value users put on being able to use a particular item outside Kitely. So I think the question is incapable of being answered with any particular amount or at least that no amount or percentage should be predetermined across the board.
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Sherrie,

You can already set a product to be Copy, Modify, Export (without Transfer) and, once the Hypergrid delivery system is ready, buy it for delivery to another Hypergrid-enabled grid.

Or is that not what you were asking about?
Oh, no :)

There was some discussion about people from other grids that buy something but intend to only use it in one grid, and how that person might want to pay less because they don't need to be able to use it in multiple grids.

So what I was thinking of was a future capability of a product with C/M only being purchased for delivery to a specific grid and from there, once delivered, wouldn't be exportable.
These users thanked the author Sherrie Melody for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Serendipity Seraph wrote:I think it should be totally market and per item driven. Basically whatever value users put on being able to use a particular item
How do we implement a system where the user decides what price to pay ?
It is actually quite an intriguing idea.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Dundridge Dreadlow wrote:
Serendipity Seraph wrote:I think it should be totally market and per item driven. Basically whatever value users put on being able to use a particular item
How do we implement a system where the user decides what price to pay ?
It is actually quite an intriguing idea.
lol, I dont think Serendipity quite meant it that way. I think she is talking about market forces. Supply and demand dictate the price point. Its how our economy is allegedly supposed to work.
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

meh, supply and demand is boring unless you are an excitable market analyst or something. I have no clue what people are demanding, can supply almost anything I find interesting, but they don't want to pay, so I get bored quickly :( I end up just making stuff that interests me or people I know, feedback is everything, be it money or interest.

I'm more interested in the other interpretation, how to compete when free to play is everywhere. I've actually heard of other implementations online, but that is for much larger customer bases where one customer pays thousands for something they like, and others pay nothing, or a dollar, or what they like. Same sort of thing with crowd funding projects, where you pay what you want to afford.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Ciaran Laval
Has thanked: 0

Post by Ciaran Laval »

I don't think this is a one size fits all solution. However as the marketplace expands to other worlds, people may want to start considering how much it will cost for their item, and then apply a discount for not being able to export.

This already happens, for example this texture pack costs USD$99

http://www.marlinstudios.com/products/st7/st7.htm

However you can legally purchase the set for use only in Second Life for a third of that price. The Second Life usage price is discounted, and can only be obtained in Second Life.
These users thanked the author Ciaran Laval for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer