Are we building for nobody?

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Constance Peregrine

Re: Are we building for nobody?

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Karensa, Hi-))

I have been using my dual core lappie since I came into VR. I do intend on upgrading, however, to at least a quad with new graphics that come standard nowadays, and more memory...

I also run win7 but will be fine with 8 when I upgrade.

I also hypergate all over the meta, and tbh, the stability of a grid run type OS using the HG works quite well for me as I often just HG in from other places to here now.

In other HG enabled grids, often people are connecting their own instances to a grid to use their asset and such storage, as well. So you get a mish mash of OS versions on all sorts of computers running them, which all adds up to a variety of issues hypergating outside of Kitely, and even coming in.

I kinda like this...lol
By prevailing over all obstacles and distractions, one may unfailingly arrive at his chosen goal or destination. --
Christopher Columbus
I also log in with graphics to medium and draw to whatever minimum the viewer allows. Then I increase it as the region starts loading for me, often turning around in a circle to have my viewer see the closer items, then go to like 100 or so to travel around. I expect my next computer will make this all much better, too.

But I won't be buying those expensive [to me also] types of computers, and don't see the need, for me, anyway.

Have fun!!
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Karensa,

There isn't much we can do about that unless we start optimizing the viewer itself.
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

As a person who navigated virtual worlds with an old computer for a long time, the thing that made the biggest difference for me was to lower the draw distance. Navigating worlds takes longer with an old computer because you have to hold still long enough for things to rez. But if you get to a good spot, hold still long enough, lower your draw distance, you can see what's around you in all it's glory.
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 2):
Dot MatrixOzwell Wayfarer
Serenity Sinclaire

Post by Serenity Sinclaire »

I'll definitely try the lower draw option and see how it fares...and I can admit that I have the draw set to max and particles set mid way. I have the basic shaders and water but if I turn on the advanced shaders it's all over. If I turn off basic shaders the water and land is white and blue so that won't work.

On a side note when I first joined SL I went for a good 8 months having never really looked over preferences so the bump mapping/shiny I never messed with...and had no idea if I set that correctly all those ugly, clunky octagons would actually become real circles :mrgreen:
These users thanked the author Serenity Sinclaire for the post:
Constance Peregrine