How hard is it to import exported content?

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Jennifer Boyle

How hard is it to import exported content?

Post by Jennifer Boyle »

I am very interested in the concept of exportable content that I can use on multiple grids. Obviously, if I go to another grid from Kitely, I have the contents of the My Suitcase folder on the other grid. Perhaps that will suffice, and I should not have any concerns.

However, I have (mostly dormant) accounts on multiple grids, and I might be interested in utilizing my exportable purchases on those accounts. How difficult technically is that, particularly for mesh clothing? Is it something anyone can easily do, or does it require considerable skill and/or special software? Where can I read a description of the procedure?
Ilan Tochner

Re: How hard is it to import exported content?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Jennifer,

You can deliver the exportable content you buy from Kitely Market directly to your avatars on other grids. Please note that each such avatar is considered a different avatar for the purpose of permissions, meaning that if you want an item to be usable by more than the avatar to which you delivered that item then you'll need that item to have Transfer permissions. If you want multiple avatars to be able to legally use the item at the same time then you'll either need to buy each avatar their own copy of the item or have the item be Copy+Transfer so you can legally make copies and give them to your other avatars. For details about the the license please the the Proprietary Rights section of our terms of service.

Please not that once an item with Export+Transfer is in your avatar's possession you can transfer it to avatars from other grids by meeting them inworld and giving them the item. I would recommend you make sure the other avatar is online before doing this as some grids don't support offline IMs and that can cause the process to fail.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Selby Evans
Jennifer Boyle

Post by Jennifer Boyle »

Thanks. That helps. I hadn't thought about how complex it could get. I would never want more than one avatar to use something at the same time, but it would be impossibly cumbersome to try to move something like a piece of clothing to the one that needed it at a particular time if they were sharing.
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

I wonder if there's a call here for some mechanism to help people in this situation.

If someone bought one of my no-trans systems and then wanted to use it with a different avatar, I'd have no qualms about giving the other avatar a copy for free as long as I was reasonably sure that they were the same person. I suspect a lot of other merchants would do the same. Could this be formalised in some way?
These users thanked the author Handy Low for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansDot Matrix
Handy Low
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Handy,

Doing that would require Kitely to take on the responsibility of making sure that the system isn't abused by people or get bad PR when people abuse it. It's a customer support headache that we aren't willing to take on for the sales commission we charge.
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

OK, I understand.
Handy Low