Exportable items oddities between grids

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Gavin Hird
Has thanked: 0

Exportable items oddities between grids

Post by Gavin Hird »

Hi,

I created an avatar here, Gavin Hird, and successfully logged in and got hold of my normal shape, and then headed back to my store on the OSGrid andwest sim to pick up the skin and eyes I usually wear.

The eyes went fine and ended up in the My Suitcase folder (as expected) and could be worn. The Skin did not fare so well as I could not see it in my inventory folders at all, except for the eyes which were part of the skin set and added yesterday. Also the eyes were added to my store yesterday. What I noticed from the console log of my store was that for the skins, they were not copied to Kitely because they already existed on the Kitely asset server. I happened to notice that one of the first days the HG link was open, someone was in my store and got a copy of all the skins (which was ok, of course).

So I teleported my Kitely avatar home and logged off thinking that perhaps the cache had not been updated properly. When Logging back in the skin were still not were expected, but in the Lost and Found folder. Trying to move them into the almost empty skins folder in My Suitcase failed as I was not allowed to because the items were not exportable! I mean !!? :-)

I could move them into the Body parts folder and successfully wear them, but wearing the skin prevented me from teleporting to OSGrid because I was wearing non-exportable items.

I mean, this must be non-intended behavior? I can sort of see the rationale behind it, but if someone brings something from another grid with them back in the inventory, present existence on the Kitely asset server (by another user) should not prevent it from existing in My suitcase and be used on the originating grid.

Please advice,
Gavin
Ilan Tochner

Re: Exportable items oddities between grids

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Gavin,

We're aware of the problem and created a fix for it. The problem should be resolved in the site update we intend to roll out in a few days.
Gavin Hird

Post by Gavin Hird »

Great! Thanks.
Gavin Hird

Post by Gavin Hird »

Another question which is related... If I want to list items in the marketplace – items that currently exist in my OSGrid avatar's inventory, can I then give them full perm to my Kitely avatar and have him list the items? Or do they have to be fully re-imported via the usual mechanisms; alternative loaded as part to an oar?

Thanks again! :-)
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

You can list items for which you have both Copy and Transfer permissions as long as you are their actual creator or have a license to do so from the person who created them.

You may not sell items that contain brands, trademarks, copyrighted content, or any other sort of intellectual property for which you do not have an explicit license from the intellectual property owners to sell in Kitely Market. You must mention the existence of such a license in the Kitely Market item listings of any items that include third-party content which was not bought in Kitely.

There are other terms and conditions relating to this. Please see our Terms of Service for full details.

Please note that in order for the item to show your Kitely avatar as the creator you'll need to avoid getting the item from another avatar or importing it using an OAR file (those archives contain creator information). You can do this by using FireStorm's import/export function to copy your content between grids.
Gavin Hird

Post by Gavin Hird »

OK, so I could solve it by giving myself a license (the person creator to my avatars which all have the same name in SL, OSG and now Kitely.)

Since I mostly have mesh items with physics models the only reliable way of transferring them (without having to re-import and reassemble) is inventory to inventory transfer and through oar loads. I usually do my mesh development in a standalone, and load them to OSG via oars as they come across intact, but into SL they have to be re-imported, assembled and textured to be placed in the marketplace. Usually it is better to retexture with textures properly imported after the oar load as there seems to be tendency to loose reference to the texture over time. It is not very cool when trees and stuff ends up white after some weeks. :-)

Thanks again!