Re: Enabling Regular users to rent Premium regions

Post by Samarah Nightfire »

Dot Matrix wrote:Welcome, Samarah! :)
Thank you Dot! :) Nice to meet you! :)
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Samarah...

OSG is a testing grid, as it's main purpose, and often people run the latest [is it called "git version"?...rhetorical question] to find bugs and other issues.

There are some various communities which do things, such as Lani Globals Sci-fi stuff, and some events I have seen noted around and gone to in one case, a few times. But it is not intended to be a social grid, at all, such as you can have here in some regards, and in growing amounts.

Anywho, my 2 cents while I find my way back to sleep having woke way to early!!
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Johnny Magic

Post by Johnny Magic »

Well, I haven't been in here for awhile because of other RL issues (good ones!) but plan on spending more time again. I came across this discussion so thought I should put my two cents in. Yes, I am still offering free spots and larger rental plots. Because I have never had any takers, I really haven't bothered to give it much more thought in terms of cost, etc. I haven't really spent any time or effort flogging it either! Now it seems that there may be more possibilities. As one of the people on the grandfathered, large number of metered sims, I have way more land than I will probably ever use. I am also not sure how people are dealing with tenants in terms of permissions, etc. I know there is not the control that I had in SL when renting. I could go ahead and open up over 20 metered sims for the monthly plan I am on now, unless there is something that I am not understanding properly.

Right now, anyone that wants to can set up in the City Life region I have. If they want a little place to try stuff out, there are lots of little apartments and houses to grab. They just have to join the resident group and find a place to "squat". The five islands on the perimeter of the city are being rented for 500KC per week and 5000 prims. Originally, and as it stands now, I am not charging any fee for time in world.I guess what I will do is lower the prices big time for the plots in the City Life region and charge for time inworld by regular users. The fees that Dot mentioned in the OP seemed fair for whole regions and I may open up some subdivided parcels using the same relative fee structure.

Sooooo....I will go ahead and open up some more regions at the prices that Dot mentioned and see what happens! I guess I will be spending some time inworld rearranging and reworking my info posters! And finally, for those that are currently renting property, how are you dealing with the visitor fees? Do you charge after the fact, once you know how long they have spent in world?

Any comments, suggestions, etc would be appreciated!
These users thanked the author Johnny Magic for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansMarstol Nitely
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

Johnny, if you are a premium member, the changes don't affect you at all and you should go for it. If you are a regular member, your metered sims are affected, I think, though, honestly, I quit paying a lot of attention to the change once I found out premium members are not affected. I have visited your world, City Life. You have some very nice parcels for rent. I hope folks look you up!
Johnny Magic

Post by Johnny Magic »

Yes, I have a Premium account so I will start doing some work again inworld!
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

As an early proponent of renting space on large Kitely worlds to users with free accounts I should probably explain my absence from this discussion so far. I still believe that renting unneeded space is a good idea, but along the way I decided that being a VR landlord is not for me personally.

The tipping point for me came as I sat and wrote up the terms and conditions under which tenants on Donnybrook Beach would have to operate. As I wrote and wrote.... and wrote I became dismayed at the sheer volume of rules I would be forced to explain to potential tenants and then enforce on those who actually chose to rent from me. Being the combination of a virtual attorney and rental agent was not how I saw myself spending time in virtual worlds. The prospect just wasn't very attractive to me.

Eventually I decided that it made more sense to cancel my grandfathered fixed-price plan and operate Donnybrook Beach as a metered world under my grandfathered Silver Premium Plan. This lower cost for hosting would allow me to operate Donnybrook Beach as a commercial/historical/fun display world and eliminate any need to rent space on the world, with all the issues that would entail.

I suppose my decision, which took effect June 1st, is one of the fixed-world cancellations that prompted the recent changes in pricing policy made by Kitely management. I won't apologize for my decision, though. I had never expected to make any money from Kitely directly - the rental scheme was just intended to help cover the cost of the grandfathered fixed-price plan. Once I realized that my usage levels made metered a more attractive offer - and given my waning interest in the whole VR landlord thing as described above - my decision to cancel the fixed plan became inevitable.

So while I still support the concept of renting extra space in Kitely to free users, I won't be able to participate directly in that marketplace myself.

(edited for grammar)
Last edited by Deuce Halsey on Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Deuce Halsey for the post (total 4):
Constance PeregrineSelby EvansMarstol NitelyFreda Frostbite
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

I don't think any apology is necessary from you or Kitely or anyone else. We all do what we must and what we can handle. I am not making a lot of rules but am being sort of selective about who I rent to. On Poesy, I have writers and artists in residence-- they pay for their space and time by contributing to the community in various ways. On Shareville, I rent (at no cost) to people I know from other grids, folks I am trying to tempt into Kitely because they bring a great deal to the party and are likely eventually to become premium members. Rhapsody is the only place I rent to folks I don't already know and even they have to talk with me first. No rental boxes on the land, so no unseen tenants. Of course, even once you meet an av, the person is still anonymous, but I think I can head problems off at the pass by meeting people up front. It may mean I get fewer takers, but I can live with that. Rhapsody currently has 2 tenants with room for about 10 more. Mostly, I decided to rent there in order to justify taking on more land. LOL.
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post (total 5):
Constance PeregrineMarstol NitelyDot MatrixDeuce HalseyJohnny Magic
Johnny Magic

Post by Johnny Magic »

Ok, I have now set up several large properties for rent in City Life for very small monthly rates plus cost per minute. I am in the process of setting up several stand-alone sims for rental. These are not landscaped, just the basic boring starter property. If I have any takers, I am assuming they will want to upload an OAR file to start. You can check out the City Life page for more details. http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Joh ... /City-Life
These users thanked the author Johnny Magic for the post (total 2):
Marstol NitelySelby Evans
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

Any chance of getting a "For Rent" category on the forums? I know it's been suggested for the Market before, but can't remember what the outcome was.
These users thanked the author Marstol Nitely for the post:
Johnny Magic