Philip Rosedale: Boy Genius Has New Surprises

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Serenity Sinclaire

Philip Rosedale: Boy Genius Has New Surprises

Post by Serenity Sinclaire »

Annnnd ZOMG!

While many of us SL expats have a beef with Linden Lab and the current corporate nonsense, I like to think we all definitely still <3 Philip for his vision.

WELL...get a load of what he's been up to with High Fidelity. I haven't felt this inspired and heart squeezed since I saw the first SL trailer! This is absolutely phenomenal and definitely about to change EVERYTHING VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaWacrQ ... e&t=42m31s

The demo is 44mins in but the whole thing is very much worth watching for a glimpse of things to come.

Enjoy!
These users thanked the author Serenity Sinclaire for the post:
Marstol Nitely
Johnny Magic

Re: Philip Rosedale: Boy Genius Has New Surprises

Post by Johnny Magic »

I am one of the small number of Alpha users in High Fidelity these days when not in Kitely. I hope that doesn't brand me as a traitor here! There is a lot of very cool stuff going on with the group.
These users thanked the author Johnny Magic for the post:
Marstol Nitely
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

I thought signing up there was the obvious thing to do, but when I saw it was peer to peer I decided to leave it.
I also had the experience of getting started with Cloud Party, and then having it disappear completely.
On the whole, I'm happy to let someone else be the early adopter ;)
These users thanked the author Keith Selmes for the post (total 2):
Deuce HalseyMarstol Nitely
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

I am very excited about HF, but def letting others do the pre-alpha/ alpha testing. It is all very, VERY exciting. Rosedale seems to think it is at least 1 year away from being open to the public.

If it gets a hype wave like SL did, but has proper mesh upload......well.......thats just too much money to pass up :D Hang me as a traitor if you must. lol

I found this interesting quote from Ilan on the HGbusinesss forums......

"We've downloaded the High Fidelity codebase, compiled it and played with it to understand it better. Thou far from being market ready, the underlying technology has potential. Keeping both client and server open source can help the project gain traction with developers and gives it a better fighting chance against the proprietary virtual-world solutions big corporations will eventually bring to market. We also like that the distributed nature of the system saves you from having big hosting expenses thus enabling you to use a freemium business model.

The main problem I see is that what makes this an interesting open-source project will also make it hard for High Fidelity (the company) to make a profit when companies such as Kitely can offer the same value-add services they'll offer and do so sooner and with more advanced technology than they can have coming out of the gate. It would be very straightforward for us to enable delivery from Kitely Market to High Fidelity, all we need is business justification to do so." (bolding added).

Sounds like Kitely might have a secret weapon ;) .
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post (total 5):
Dot MatrixIlan TochnerFreda FrostbiteDeuce HalseyMarstol Nitely
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

The attitude that any of us are traitors for using other avenues to do our various things in the metaverse is absurd. Anyone who has a problem with it can, well, not to put to fine a point on it, bite me.
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post (total 3):
Constance PeregrineDeuce HalseyJohnny Magic
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Keith Selmes wrote:I also had the experience of getting started with Cloud Party, and then having it disappear completely.
On the whole, I'm happy to let someone else be the early adopter ;)
I can definitely sympathize with this attitude. I once spent part of my spare time for about a year helping to Beta test a new
MMO empire-building real time strategy game called 8Realms. Just when it looked about to be released into production the
company killed the project instead. What a colossal waste of my time that turned out to be!
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

I don't think you are a traitor and I think Kitley will find a way for this to work in their (and our) favor. I have no doubt that Phillip Rosedale can monetize High Fidelity and keep it open source. If it weren't for his vision, I doubt we'd even be having this discussion. I am however, a little (maybe a lot) envious. I tried to sign up for the alpha, but wasn't chosen. :mrgreen:
Ozwell Wayfarer

Just to add to the crazyness, Ebbe Linden just let slip that LL are also working on a "closed source" new virtual world, supposedly separate from both SL and HF.

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2014/06/linden ... .html#more

Personally, I think it was a really bad move to let that cat out of the bag, because now I (and I am sure many others) are wondering if its worth investing any more time in SL.
Ozwell Wayfarer

and now LL made an official press release

http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2014/0 ... ont-panic/
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

I think that content creators thinking forward should start giving Kitely another look given that we intend Kitely Market to be able to deliver to more than just OpenSim-based virtual worlds.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 4):
Ozwell WayfarerJohnny MagicDot MatrixMarstol Nitely