pitch for Kitely over inworldz

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Serendipity Seraph

pitch for Kitely over inworldz

Post by Serendipity Seraph »

I am moving a weekly meeting community from SL to somewhere in opensim. It is between Kitely and inworldz. The main argument I hear and understand for inworldz is largely existing community base and number of people and more developed economy resulting in more buy vs build opportunities.

I think most of the people who attend will be premium users so my existing metered worlds would be fine. But what enticements for Kitely vs inworldz would people make?

Some I have used:

1) Kitely market, although it can deliver to inworldz as well. But if you are a content creator or aspire to be one selling into this market then a kitely presence makes sense;

2) hypergrid access. This is a big deal if you want people from all over the hypergrid to be able to attend your events. It is a clear difference with inworldz

3) more prims per region and avatars per region. Though to be honest my group is usually 10-20 people per meeting range currently.

4) Ease of swapping in and out region builds and thus ease of backup. This is a big distinguishing feature to me. It also enables some interesting business plants not otherwise so tractable.

5) premium user costs gives me 5 premium regions at no further cost except visit time charges for premium worlds for non-premium users. Which is quite nice compared to $75 for one region that is a bit less capable inworldz. Now if I can only figure out how to fill those in interesting fashion. :)

Others I am missing or spacing on at the moment?
Marstol Nitely

Re: pitch for Kitely over inworldz

Post by Marstol Nitely »

1) If Kitely can deliver to Inwordz this is news to me.
2) I agree with your assessment in this regard. This is a clear advantage for Kitely not Inworldz.
3) Not sure why prims are included in this argument or if as far as 10-20 avatars go this would be an issue either way.
4) Kitely easily wins on this item.
5) More (for less) is better, Kitely hands down.

These users thanked the author Marstol Nitely for the post:
Serendipity Seraph
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

What Marstol said, and I would add much, much less to none drama in Kitely.

There is much less community in that grid than some would have others believe. For doing a meeting why would that even matter?

I don't actually see any comparisons worthy of even considering using inwz...even your post seems to show Kitely wins, hands down.

plus I liked Marstol's video representation....lol
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Marstol Nitely
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Serendipity Seraph

Post by Serendipity Seraph »

Minethere Always wrote:What Marstol said, and I would add much, much less to none drama in Kitely.

There is much less community in that grid than some would have others believe. For doing a meeting why would that even matter?

I don't actually see any comparisons worthy of even considering using inwz...even your post seems to show Kitely wins, hands down.

The larger economy and more different existing communities matters to give group people more incentive to enjoy new group meeting home and place I spent more of my time and energy. It is about more than just the meetings. But even for just the meeting people enjoy more popping into a grid where they have avatars decked out more to their liking or have other reasons to be there as well. Though so far my meeting "regulars" have been quite wonderful following my various opensim forays and meeting venue experiments.

I am also asking to be honest for my own main home virtual space concerns. There are pluses and minuses for various possibilities. One think I really much prefer Kitely for is not being a baby SL so much in how restricted things are, especially important things to me like region backups, on demand copies and change of oars. And I do have a very strong notion that Kitely has more going forward business opportunities including things quite pricey to do on other grids. But I, speaking for myself, sometimes get a bit blue that some things I want and need to be fully at home aren't yet in the stores or in the various opens ource/free resources and I don't have the time/energy/skills to cook something acceptable up myself. I can do most anything with enough effort and time but many things I am certainly not expert in or that efficient at.
These users thanked the author Serendipity Seraph for the post:
Marstol Nitely
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Kitely's Hypergrid connectivity potentially gives access to a very wide range of communities.

Kitely's flexibility enables "just-in-time" expansion/contraction of land holdings at very little cost.

Kitely has a proven track record of delivering what it sets out to do. While it might take a bit longer than originally planned or hoped for, Kitely's announcements are not for vapour-ware.

Kitely builds on current opensource OpenSim, not an earlier fork; it contributes directly to the core OpenSim code. It is working on future opensource platforms as well, so you're not going to be trapped in a closed, cul-de-sac environment (as SL could well become).

Kitely Market is there; it is already delivering across OpenSim grids; some merchants are doing very well from it (better than their SL marketplace stores, even with a supposedly smaller customer base); as time goes by one can hope that other merchants will take note and add their goods to Kitely Market -- word-of-mouth recommendations and trust take time to build up.

Kitely has a future.

-------
Edited to add: I realise that getting one's appearance right is a big problem. Even with hypergrid there isn't that much "good stuff" out there in OpenSim. The Market does have some good designers already, but there are few of them and the sheer variety available in SL is not yet available here in Kitely. I agree that being able to "be at home" in one's avatar from the start is critical to being able to settle. I'm not sure what can be done about that. :( Is it possible for people to think "new world, new opportunity to evolve avatar character", or is that simply a step too far?
Last edited by Dot Matrix on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 5):
Keith SelmesOzwell WayfarerSelby EvansMarstol NitelySerendipity Seraph
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Serendipity Seraph wrote:
Minethere Always wrote:What Marstol said, and I would add much, much less to none drama in Kitely.

The larger economy and more different existing communities matters to give group people more incentive to enjoy new group meeting home and place I spent more of my time and energy. It is about more than just the meetings. But even for just the meeting people enjoy more popping into a grid where they have avatars decked out more to their liking or have other reasons to be there as well. Though so far my meeting "regulars" have been quite wonderful following my various opensim forays and meeting venue experiments.

I am also asking to be honest for my own main home virtual space concerns. There are pluses and minuses for various possibilities. One think I really much prefer Kitely for is not being a baby SL so much in how restricted things are, especially important things to me like region backups, on demand copies and change of oars. And I do have a very strong notion that Kitely has more going forward business opportunities including things quite pricey to do on other grids. But I, speaking for myself, sometimes get a bit blue that some things I want and need to be fully at home aren't yet in the stores or in the various opens ource/free resources and I don't have the time/energy/skills to cook something acceptable up myself. I can do most anything with enough effort and time but many things I am certainly not expert in or that efficient at.
Ok, gotcha.

So on those additional points, yes, Kitely is the least restrictive commercial type grid in the Metaverse, currently .

Kitely gives adults the tools to make adult decisions about their time and money spent within this world, and allows the also unique ability to explore outside via the HG. inwz has none of that.

It must always be kept in mind that inwz is a fork from core and current opensim development, from OS .65, and thus some scripting and various tools used there are totally different than current tech. Some say that is better, but I don't personally agree.

Content is currently a difference, yes, but more and more are coming in and adding good stuff, this MP is the fastest growing in the Meta, and creators will see this more and more.

Via the HG, one can also find all sorts of wonderful freebies to deck themselves out quite nicely. There really is actually no limit to content available, in any real sense, if one wishes to find it.

I also often suggest in such discussions that people personally contact their favorite creators and just try asking them to bring in just the things you want and miss...then if they find they would like to, or have the time, they may list those items, and then maybe list more.

This is how all these grids get started...well, that and also using Linda's stuff all over da place....lol...for example, you can find Linda's stuff all over inwz under the name of Ayla Holt, her content avie who was there, or see her stuff used in all sorts of builds.

In any case, just some thoughts from my perspective, knowing both grids rather well. [and what Dot just said...lol]
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 2):
Marstol NitelySerendipity Seraph
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Lily Annabella
Has thanked: 0

Post by Lily Annabella »

I am still new but i just left inworldz,and before that sl.They seem very much the same thing to me.I love kitely because of 5 regions for 20 bucks a month,i like to keep as much money as i can,lol.
I also managed to make a 4 region world very full of all free things i have found all over the opensim. Plants,trees,furniture,animals, and some things for my avi. I was very surprise about how much i found out there. Now my great big world looks like home and i have the pretty background to build in.It did take some searching but there is alot out there,i can pass you some landmarks :) 5 regions is alot of playground to call home and then there is opensim to go see too,i love it! I miss only 1 thing,more animated animals and horses but i will wait will faith they will come. Kitely is growing and there is the whole opensim to shop that i think is growing too.
These users thanked the author Lily Annabella for the post (total 6):
Constance PeregrineOzwell WayfarerMarstol NitelySerendipity SeraphFreda FrostbiteSelby Evans
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

Dot added the comments I would have made.
In particular the ease and low cost of adding and removing extra worlds for short term projects, with privacy options from totally open Hypergrid access, to closed group access, named users etc.
These users thanked the author Keith Selmes for the post (total 2):
Serendipity SeraphMarstol Nitely
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

I am active in SL and Iz as well as Kitely. I find that all three have good things to offer and all three have downsides. For purposes of a meeting place with ability for attendees to to explore and try things out, I would choose Kitely without a moment's hesitation. For one thing, the cost is reasonable. For another, there is pretty much no lag. AND we have the hypergrid so people who want to explore can REALLY explore.

And we actually have some very active groups already here. Seanchai Library, Metaverse Tours, Town Crier, Freda's Place, Kitely Communities Group, Devokan Story tellers (I hope I spelled that one right), to name but a few. I bet there are plenty of others I am just not aware of. And we have more active and better forums than anyone else on the hypergrid.

And, yeah, our market is still in the growing stages, but it IS growing every single day. No one should have any trouble creating an av they like here now. Even weird things can be found somehow, even if it requires a HG hop for a shopping excursion. And wouldn't THAT be tragic, having to go shopping? (NOT)

Honestly, now that I have written all this, I have to wonder how there is even a dilemma over this. Kitely kinda rock.
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post (total 4):
Constance PeregrineMarstol NitelyShandon LoringRobert Stanley
Nicodemus Druid
Has thanked: 0

Post by Nicodemus Druid »

I agree with one comment and that is I'm using my roaming avatar in Second Life to contact several avatar creators to bring a couple of avatars for me into OpenSim. They have the tools and it shouldn't cost much more than the same in Second Life. With the recent announcements from Second Life, they may very well be ready to set up an outpost in Kitely, coppering their bets in/on Second Life. I am very much pitching Kitely to them...
These users thanked the author Nicodemus Druid for the post (total 8):
Freda FrostbiteSelby EvansConstance PeregrineMarstol NitelyIlan TochnerCarlos LoffShandon LoringRobert Stanley