36 Regions Worlds - Viable ?

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Carlos Loff

36 Regions Worlds - Viable ?

Post by Carlos Loff »

Land in Kitely was made affordable at least it allows people to try bigger worlds and if they don't work, no great damage comes from it

So, because many world creators will CERTAINLY flock here, I think 36 square worlds are worth a try

Actually I hold 2 worlds of 16 regions each and still keep them Premium because they are not finished and ready to return some KCs so I can turn them into Fixed Price but that is my short term goal for both

Im replicating a whole RL City and even if I obviously have to choose only main spots and monuments, a 36 regions world would allow me to build it even more realistic

Is it technically possible for Kitely ?

Does anybody else thinks they could jump into this size for big projects ???
Kitely - Meta Lisbon --> grid.kitely.com:8002:Meta Lisbon Startups
Join Me on Meetup --> https://www.meetup.com/metalisbonstartups/
Join Kitely Group --> Meta Lisbon Startups
Ozwell Wayfarer

Re: 36 Regions Worlds - Viable ?

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

From what I have discussed with Ilan, more than 16 regions is not viable with the current architecture.

I inquired if maybe the new variable region tech could expand the available land size, while keeping prim/avatar resources the same. for example, if you could take 16 256x256 regions and double their size to 512x512 and essentially have the space of 36 regions.

....but apparently we cant do that either :(
Carlos Loff

Post by Carlos Loff »

Thank you for your feedback, its important to know right now because it would be difficult to alter my project once it goes up and running

I'm used to save prims so the area expansion woul be also perfect, but we cant have it all

Thanks, cheers
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

From things that Ilan and Oren have said in these forums and elsewhere, it seems that In order to provide their super low cost levels for world hosting, they rely extensively on automation. That means that they would need to limit the number of world setups that they offer to their customers to simplify the automation process. Not only would a wide range of world options complicate the automation process and (most likely) the server architecture needed to support customer worlds, but it would also complicate the Kitely service offering. Given the current complexity of the Kitely offering, anything that would make it even more complicated would be a bad idea. Ilan always says that the more options you give customers at sign up time the harder it is for people to decide, and consequently the less signups you actually get.

I suspect that the four current Kitely world sizes 1, 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4 should support the needs of the vast majority of people getting into virtual worlds. Sure, the world setups are square, but the islands you have in the world don't have to be.

Anyone who genuinely has a need for a super large or custom-shaped cluster of OpenSim regions would probably be best off talking to one of the more traditional OS hosting companies. Kitely would be unlikely to ever be capable of supporting such truly custom setups.
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Carlos Loff

Post by Carlos Loff »

Deuce Halsey wrote:From things that Ilan and Oren have said in these forums and elsewhere, it seems that In order to provide their super low cost levels for world hosting, they rely extensively on automation. That means that they would need to limit the number of world setups that they offer to their customers to simplify the automation process. Not only would a wide range of world options complicate the automation process and (most likely) the server architecture needed to support customer worlds, but it would also complicate the Kitely service offering. Given the current complexity of the Kitely offering, anything that would make it even more complicated would be a bad idea. Ilan always says that the more options you give customers at sign up time the harder it is for people to decide, and consequently the less signups you actually get.

I suspect that the four current Kitely world sizes 1, 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4 should support the needs of the vast majority of people getting into virtual worlds. Sure, the world setups are square, but the islands you have in the world don't have to be.

Anyone who genuinely has a need for a super large or custom-shaped cluster of OpenSim regions would probably be best off talking to one of the more traditional OS hosting companies. Kitely would be unlikely to ever be capable of supporting such truly custom setups.
I see now that it can be difficult, did not have a clue and thought it was just a natural option above 16 - The nr 36 was not a random one and that is why I named square arrangement

If it could be easy otherwise where there may be willing customers there may be business and money to be made and Kitely, being so affordable, may have started a whole new class of hunger for World creators, maybe many many people would like to have huge worlds now they are not so expensive
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

t'is on-demand view distance..
if it is the same "world" - no problem.

If you are near the edge of an adjoining world.. problem. You need to spin up BOTH visible worlds, which doubles costs. Oh, wait, did you go in a corner ? That's 4 times the cost. Oh wait, what's your view distance ? It's kinda not really practical, which is a shame, but 4x4 is pretty darn good. I suspect if people ask REALLY nicely, a 5x5 might be available in the future, but it probably won't be very soon.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Carlos Loff

Post by Carlos Loff »

Dundridge Dreadlow wrote:t'is on-demand view distance..
if it is the same "world" - no problem.

If you are near the edge of an adjoining world.. problem. You need to spin up BOTH visible worlds, which doubles costs. Oh, wait, did you go in a corner ? That's 4 times the cost. Oh wait, what's your view distance ? It's kinda not really practical, which is a shame, but 4x4 is pretty darn good. I suspect if people ask REALLY nicely, a 5x5 might be available in the future, but it probably won't be very soon.
5X5 would be great - On the 4X4 I will already spread many location maps with teleport pads so draw distance will never reach the whole

I would go for a 5X5 right now
Last edited by Carlos Loff on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

“he who is greedy is always in want”
― Horace
“True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future, not to amuse ourselves with either hopes or fears but to rest satisfied with what we have, which is sufficient, for he that is so wants nothing. The greatest blessings of mankind are within us and within our reach. A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it may be, without wishing for what he has not.”
― Seneca
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Carlos Loff

Post by Carlos Loff »

Minethere Always wrote:
“he who is greedy is always in want”
― Horace
“True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future, not to amuse ourselves with either hopes or fears but to rest satisfied with what we have, which is sufficient, for he that is so wants nothing. The greatest blessings of mankind are within us and within our reach. A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it may be, without wishing for what he has not.”
― Seneca
Wisdom Words, but... Ambition and will to change its what made SL and OpenSim come alive

I think Im being rather fair and not to greedy by taking several weeks or months to build a whole city and thinking 25 regions would work better than 16 - I laid out all foundations and find that just a bit more space would be just fine
These users thanked the author Carlos Loff for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I do agree with you Carlos, and I also think this will happen, likely sooner than later.

afaik, and anyone feel free to correct me, as I have not done this personally or read other than snippets in places, that the current magaregion limits are due to them being the limits imposed by the software, in that 16 is the max one can run in a single simulator instance.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Carlos Loff
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...