Oculus Rift

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Shandon Loring

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by Shandon Loring »

If somebody has a chance, and is interested in doing so, I'd love to hear your feedback on how FALLING WATER looks through Oculus. Inara has materials applied throughout so of course you'd want ALM on.
It is the full NorthEast region of Seanchai homeworld.
http://www.kitely.com/search?q=seanchai
:)
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

Shandon Loring wrote:If somebody has a chance, and is interested in doing so, I'd love to hear your feedback on how FALLING WATER looks through Oculus.
It looks good! Here is a video of 2 minutes of wandering around trying to break in. http://youtu.be/7gPZ-lXyEyg

You will want to install bump-to-open doors. Currently there is no way to click on anything from the Rift. Well, besides hitting ctrl-alt-3, trying to find the cursor and the window top bar, dragging the window back onto your monitor, taking off the Rift, putting on your reading glasses (in my case). Then you can click on a click-to-open door. Then you have to reverse all those steps to get back where you were.
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post (total 3):
Constance PeregrineShandon LoringMarstol Nitely
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

bump doors - check! will do... i need to put sits in everything too yet...
thank you thank you Kayaker!!
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

Finally got it working! I think it was a combination of the latest update and checking Advanced light in the preferences. Thanks for listing the steps Kayaker, I might have missed the checking the AL box if I hadn't been trying to go through everything step by step one more time.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Apologies in advance for hi-jacking the thread. Does anyone know how effective flames (and particles effects in general) are with the Rift? I'm doing a series of builds of St Paul's churchyard in Restoration London and would like to do one at the time of the Great Fire of London in 1666. Handy Low's fire/flame effects have proven very, erm, handy but I'm wondering how they would work with the Rift (sub-text: I would like them to work with the Rift).

The build hasn't progressed very far yet so the world is closed at present. However, you hopefully get the general idea here https://alpha.app.net/ed3d/post/42454249/photo/1
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

From what I hear, both particles and materials are not so good with headsets. Particles apparently look noticeably "flat", and materials (which are basically an optical illusion to create extra depth) are obvious for what they are. I dont have any first-hand experience though. I just remember reading that on Hamlets NWN blog.
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post:
Graham Mills
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Thanks, Ozwell. It sounds like I might be able to use them if they're situated at a distance (as in the picture) but not close-up. I'm also anticipating using one of your kits to create the bookshops and coffee houses so I hope the materials don't detract too much.

In case anyone's interested there's a nice architectural fly-through here: http://vpcp.chass.ncsu.edu/fly-around-the-visual-model/ . I'm not capable of that level of detail/quality but am rather aiming for something that just has sufficient "atmosphere"/immersiveness to support the story.
Ozwell Wayfarer wrote:From what I hear, both particles and materials are not so good with headsets. Particles apparently look noticeably "flat", and materials (which are basically an optical illusion to create extra depth) are obvious for what they are. I dont have any first-hand experience though. I just remember reading that on Hamlets NWN blog.
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Yes that sounds about right. At a distance everything is fine, but up close things (apparently) dont look so good, though its hard to judge sometimes what is a failing of the technology and what is unrealistic expectation. This is, after all exactly what happens if you do the same in a video game. If you cam right up to something, its going to loose some of its effect. Its also fairly easy to remove materials if they dont suit the situation.

Sadly these things are a sort of "take it or leave it" deal at the moment as there are no other solutions to the problems particles or materials address. Hopefully as headsets get more popular, new techniques will become available.
Carlos Loff

Post by Carlos Loff »

Im very keen to this project and sooner or later will go in but I confess this tecky world is going to crazy fast and a bit stupid - Why should we buy the Kit 2 when in few weeks there will be a Kit 3 and than 4, just like the iPhone

How do the people that gave quite a considerable amount for the Kit 1 feel ??? Unless they are rich, of course...

This is a complaint about everything in general, maybe there should be more testing and development and only than come up with a good lasting product
Kitely - Meta Lisbon --> grid.kitely.com:8002:Meta Lisbon Startups
Join Me on Meetup --> https://www.meetup.com/metalisbonstartups/
Join Kitely Group --> Meta Lisbon Startups