Can't rez free objects from OSGrid?

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
JCat Ziva

Can't rez free objects from OSGrid?

Post by JCat Ziva »

Odd. I'm a premium Kitely member. I headed to OSGrid to landmark called Lani Global Systems (I think that was it). They had some interesting sci-fi goods. I grabbed an item, came back home, and I was able to rez it on my region -- no problem. I went back to Lani, and across the way was a travel shop to jump to other landmarks. I found an interesting location which had really cool oddities; all were free. Well, so far, everything I've tried to bring back will not rez on my surface. I made a dozen or so trips, and nothing works. Any ideas why that would be? Thank you!

Whoops - forgot to mention. When I do rez, it makes the normal rez sound effects, but nothing appears.

Edited: On further exploration, I went to another shop somewhere from the OSgrid showcase. I saw something interesting, clicked on it - it showed as purchase, though it appeared to be free, and it went into my suitcase. When I returned to my home region, I was able to rez it to surface, however, the item was crated, and now had KC10 charge to open. Forgive me, but I'm confused. The price is certainly low, but is this some kind of special charge to bring in certain items from other other locations outside of kitely?
Ilan Tochner

Re: Can't rez free objects from OSGrid?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Update: I met JCat inworld.

The item in question was set up with a price of 10 units of local currency in OSgrid which resulted in it having a price of 10 KC when rezzed in Kitely. Items without a price (or a price of 0) remain without a price when rezzed inside Kitely.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

hmmm, that's an interesting phenomenon, I have never seen such a thing as that price issue. The only thing I can imagine is is you went to one of the simulator installations some set up in OSG with currency [either for RP purposes or their own little economy for whatever reasons].

Those are only micro-economies that when you go into them you often get some large number like 100k whatevers and it takes a logout for that to go away, maybe even a clear cache...it has been a while since I went to one of those.

Of course this could be some other issue, new or one I never experienced, but I have been in several such places over time and that is my own experience. So, for instance, it was set to pay for 10 whatevers and I guess that carried over to the KC once here, as Ilan says, but if you tried clearing cache and logging out from there after it getting into your inventory, then logging fresh back here, this might be different...since it DID go in your inventory in some regards, this seems to lend some credibility to my assumptions.

On the other matter, copying free items then them not being in your inventory [or fully so] when you get back. A typical thing that happened to me also, until I realized that I was getting the little busy circle thing in my viewer when I moused over my inventory box [which I open when I do such things so I can easily see when it arrived]...so I have taken the habit of making sure items are actually showing in my inventory and also making sure the busy circle thing has gone away [which I assume from a non tech person to mean the item is making its way from there to me and my viewer].

So it is possible this issue is that it did not make it completely into your side of things.

It is good to keep in mind you are traveling from this grid run setup of opensimulator all run in one database scenario, and hypergating to other people's simulator instances, often and usually run from their own computers or just run by a host similar to what they do here in some regards, and in the case of Lani, I know she has those hooked into the OSG grid setup [which it is always best to keep in mind people run various versions of OS there to test, or that they simply have not upgraded since OSG is a test grid, first and foremost], but I think she uses some hosting company also...so you get several layers of data transfers that can cause various issues.

It is the wild west out thar, and the Indians still want to keep thar land.....ya here.

But inside Kitely, run within their own database, you get not only a more secure hosting service at current or better hosting pricing, but the integrity of assets issues that gives you.

Of course I could be blowing smoke outta my ass and have no clue to what is going on, so, as usual, ymmv [and anyone pls feel free to correct any or all of this comment, it won't hurt my feelings...lol]

Anywho, it's cool to see you exploring already the hypergates.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
JCat Ziva

Post by JCat Ziva »

Thanks, again for your on site help, Ilan!

Everything seems to be fine. Two things to update:

The items that would not rez are from only one particular region I jumped to on OSGrid. I tried bringing other goods back from the region, and none of the stuff would rez, despite the free offers (there was this gorgeous fountain .. oh well).
Every other place I went to worked fine. I grabbed a ton objects to bring home and test, and all worked flawlessly. Now, the one weird box that had that charge -- resolved: I went back to that shop and grabbed something else. It had the same same charge issue when I got back home. I figured out, you have invoke the open command on the box to get the contents out. :oops:

Oh, and thanks, Minethere. Agreed on the service quality. :D Very much like the kite!
These users thanked the author JCat Ziva for the post:
Constance Peregrine