What do you do in Kitely that...

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Marstol Nitely

What do you do in Kitely that...

Post by Marstol Nitely »

you couldn't or wouldn't in other grids?

My list is pretty long, but I'll start the tree I got carried away with. It's over 1000 prims!
These users thanked the author Marstol Nitely for the post (total 6):
Bladyblue BommerangConstance PeregrineAdagio GreenwoodDanko WhitfieldIsis OpheliaAlexander Adonis
Adagio Greenwood

Re: What do you do in Kitely that...

Post by Adagio Greenwood »

I love, love, love............

1. Playing with RAW files, seeing mountains rise around me........... No mountains today? Okay, let's try a new world with some islands or a sandy beach or.........

2. Make another new world, just cuz I can, and toss down some playful terrain files on those mountains or valley or islands or beaches, or........

3. Import an entire new world, from seabed to clouds, in an OAR file, just to see it, just to play in it, just cuz I can..........

4. Make a sky sandbox that is 256 x 256, just cuz I can........... Or rezz a mega-prim that is 768 x 768 and have a few offshore mountains around my islands.

5. Take my sky sandbox up to 10,000 meters and rezz some prims and build up there (I think this is just Firestorm dependent, but Kitely is where I played with it)

6. Have a house with doorknobs and window latches and a kitchen table with knives and forks and spoons and salt cellars and pepper mills and pots of flowers that move slightly in the breeze and grains of salt spilled on the table and anything else I can imagine, just cuz I can..........
These users thanked the author Adagio Greenwood for the post (total 5):
Dot MacchiMarstol NitelyDanko WhitfieldJohnny NightRuby O'Degee
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

Awesome list Adagio!

I'll add another from my list. For years I didn't even think I'd ever be able to have an entire private region. So I bought land piece by piece on a mainland region. Now I have a world with 16 regions the size of one private region. Bwhahahahhaha!

Had to add this in - It costs less than 1/8th of a mainland region and I don't have to look at my neighbors' giant rotating "For Sale" signs or those ugly red ban lines!
These users thanked the author Marstol Nitely for the post (total 5):
Adagio GreenwoodConstance PeregrineJohnny NightDanko WhitfieldRuby O'Degee
Phoneix Dreamscape

Post by Phoneix Dreamscape »

I'd like to add two more items to the list: NPCs (Non Player Characters) and borderless sim crossings.

NPCs! OMG I LOVE NPCs! I didn't know server side NPCs existed before I came to Kitely. Some OS grids do not support OSSLNPC functions (OpenSim scripting functions for NPCs), others disable the higher risk ones. Kitely supports ALL of the OSSLNPC functions, making this THE place to be for anyone who loves NPCs. I've been working with them since I saw my first NPC at Ohn Freebie World. In addition to controlling them directly, It's a blast watching them explore the sim on their own now. You can even carry on a conversation with the latest one. it won't win the Turing test but it's amusing to chat with it and see what it comes up with.

Borderless sim crossings on advanced megaregions will be appreciated by anyone who likes vehicles. You may not be able to go as far as some grids but crossings here are reliable, not hit or miss as they are anywhere else. In any other grid without megaregions, it's just a matter of time before you have a bad crossing. That makes using vehicles and holding contests with them rather pointless. Here, you don't have to worry about bad crossings, races can be won by skill, not chance.

While the current OpenSim physics engine (ODE) is not renown for it's stellar physics simulation, with the right scripts making vehicles here is not difficult at all. For those interested, I'll have a few freebie vehicles ready for the Kitely Market, if I can break away from the NPC's that is :)
These users thanked the author Phoneix Dreamscape for the post (total 5):
Constance PeregrineMarstol NitelyAdagio GreenwoodJohnny NightIsis Ophelia
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

worth quoting fully-))

actually tho, eventually kitely will add in the bullet physics, which someone you may know, judy muircastle [patti mallory] says equals avination and sl in quality.

it is available as an option now...and i bet, if you whisper in the right ears, you might could get a bullet enabled region in kitely to start optimizing for-)) which would be a very good idea.

we already run 7.6 in our Metropolis regions and so does Judy with bullet enabled.

avination has been contributing quite a bit of nice code to opensim recently, in particular, that will be in a release soon, such as multiple attachment points.

I am sure I know at least one grid you refer to about NPCs, and they can't do it without writing their own code as they forked from opensim to early. Others feel they have issues, tho I think they are wrong.

megaregions are perfect with border crossings in Aurora and I expect this will get to opensim eventually, and be quite nice...

Have fun in the real metaverse-))))))
Phoneix Dreamscape wrote:I'd like to add two more items to the list: NPCs (Non Player Characters) and borderless sim crossings.

NPCs! OMG I LOVE NPCs! I didn't know server side NPCs existed before I came to Kitely. Some OS grids do not support OSSLNPC functions (OpenSim scripting functions for NPCs), others disable the higher risk ones. Kitely supports ALL of the OSSLNPC functions, making this THE place to be for anyone who loves NPCs. I've been working with them since I saw my first NPC at Ohn Freebie World. In addition to controlling them directly, It's a blast watching them explore the sim on their own now. You can even carry on a conversation with the latest one. it won't win the Turing test but it's amusing to chat with it and see what it comes up with.

Borderless sim crossings on advanced megaregions will be appreciated by anyone who likes vehicles. You may not be able to go as far as some grids but crossings here are reliable, not hit or miss as they are anywhere else. In any other grid without megaregions, it's just a matter of time before you have a bad crossing. That makes using vehicles and holding contests with them rather pointless. Here, you don't have to worry about bad crossings, races can be won by skill, not chance.

While the current OpenSim physics engine (ODE) is not renown for it's stellar physics simulation, with the right scripts making vehicles here is not difficult at all. For those interested, I'll have a few freebie vehicles ready for the Kitely Market, if I can break away from the NPC's that is :)
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Marstol Nitely
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Danko Whitfield

Post by Danko Whitfield »

Hi Marstol,

Good topic.

Here's what I'm planning to do in KItely...this is something I never thought of before Kitely and Sim-on-a-Stick came along...

I'm working on several projects right now in SoaS. I will mention two of them here. One is a 4x4 that I started in Kitely and then took it offline and put it in SoaS. When I have it somewhere around 50 to 60% done, I'm going to put it in Kitely again. But it will be for a limited time, say three months. I will continue to work on it, take it down from Kitely, work on it some more, and put it back on Kitely. and so on.

The other is a theme and variations. At the moment it is a single region in SoaS. When it is ready I will upload it to Kitely, again for a limited time. When I take it down, I will then upload the first variation. It is a 2x2 that uses the one-region and expands on it. The 2x2 will be in Kitely for a while, then it will come down...and be replaced by another 2x2 that also uses the original one region sim as its base and expands on it in a different way than the first 2x2. Currently in SoaS I am working on all three of them!

I'm going to treat my sim/world ideas as exhibits. Work on them offline in SoaS, upload to Kitely when it seems ready - not necessaarily 'done' but ready, take it down and put something else up, etc. I will 'publicize' which one is available at a given time and explain on my world page the process of what I am doing.

I am a writer and to me, these sims are stories I am telling...with prims. In the Devokan Storytellers group we have been discussing a concept that Ruby O'degee calls 'Storybuilding.' That's what I am engaged in here. I used to write music...and combining the theme and variation idea with sims hit me a while back. I'm finding my way. Who knows, maybe it won't work at all...but it sure is fun trying!

Prior to Kitely and SoaS I would never have thought to do this. I am very excited to have these tools, these 'exhibit halls' to show what I am doing, to not just illustrate stories but to create them with prims.

Thank you for asking, I've been wanting to tell someone! LOL
These users thanked the author Danko Whitfield for the post (total 7):
Marstol NitelyJohnny NightDot MacchiRuby O'DegeeMykyl NordwindAdagio GreenwoodIsis Ophelia
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

Thanks for telling :)
Very creative! I can't wait to see the variety of instances.
These users thanked the author Marstol Nitely for the post:
Danko Whitfield
Johnny Night

Post by Johnny Night »

I just love to build. I sell too, but I'm awful at it. I often get distracted and start a new project, then get 1/4 way through it before something else catches my attention. The great part about Kitely for me especially is the ability to get distracted and not have to dismantle everything for my new whim. I can run a multitude of themed buildings on different public worlds at very low cost. It's going to take me forever to fill them all up. Land is an addiction.
These users thanked the author Johnny Night for the post (total 7):
Bladyblue BommerangDot MacchiConstance PeregrineRuby O'DegeeDanko WhitfieldMarstol NitelyAdagio Greenwood
Dinero Outlander

Post by Dinero Outlander »

If ya ask me? I would say thatit is that everywhere I go, Everyone I talk to is of the same communnity. Even the bosses. I don't feel that anywhere else. and thats what sold me on Kitely.
These users thanked the author Dinero Outlander for the post (total 3):
Dot MacchiMarstol NitelyAdagio Greenwood
"I have often regretted my words, but never my silence."
"Talking comes by nature, Silence by wisdom." -Unknown
Ruby O'Degee

Post by Ruby O'Degee »

When I started looking at Kitely, I was very cautious. I put one toe in first, then the second and then my foot. I never once regretted those incremental moves. There are many reasons that I am so encouraged by what I see at Kitely:
1. The management listens closely.
2. The bountiful prim allocation inspires me to build whatever I can imagine.
3. The community is friendly and forgiving of learning builders (like me). Lovely builds are everywhere in the Kitely neighborhood. When I am not yet capable of creating a build, I log a snapshot and decide I will learn to build it eventually.
4. Building is economical. Since I am revisionist, I can build on a sim, revise it another and make it ready for the public on another. Even though my public builds are rarely finished, I remember item #3. The community is friendly and forgiving.
5. I can import and export OARS. I can save my work and the work of others. Although I sometimes build on my own hard drive, I actually prefer to build in Kitely. It is simply more convenient than using my already overtaxed desktop (3 fans that run constantly) for building. While I am rendering or manipulating a graphic, I can still shape builds and run scripts in Kitely.
6. Several viewer options, and convenient switching between one and the other.
7. Economical Wait Time. Because I am a busy (and often tired) person, I don't always find the time to build, or even read my brother's Facebook posts. When I do find time for myself I build madly in fits and bursts. I could never justify high rent or subscription costs when I wasn't in world or making use of the space. Whether I get to my hobby or not, I know that the costs are reasonable. My work and story will be there when I return to what I love doing.
8. Looking forward to new options. I know there will be new exciting changes coming in the future; teleporting to other grids, limited physics, and shopping for quality storybuild objects and gizmos.
--- And while I confess that there will be small things to get fussy about, overall the experience will be the same (great!). Once a professional and beloved age builder said to me "Ruby move on, go find a home." I do believe I have 8-) .
Last edited by Ruby O'Degee on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Ruby O'Degee for the post (total 6):
Dot MacchiConstance PeregrineDanko WhitfieldMarstol NitelyAdagio GreenwoodJohnny Night
"I am aiming for fantastic believability. You get enough realism. Add something with character, with style, make something that 's better than reality [fiction/non-fiction]." Jeremy Vickery (Pixar)