NewWorldStudios Help

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Serenity Sinclaire

NewWorldStudios Help

Post by Serenity Sinclaire »

I finally found a copy of this and installed it...and it works great. I'm loving it. Still can't get the hang of SOAS which sucks because I'd prefer that instead. I put the oars and iars in the app/OpenSim/2012001 - folder and type the instructions in the console and it works in NWS....but not sure what's up with SOAS. Am I doing it wrong? I'd assume that NWS is the same thing as SOAS, just an installer for Open Sim so putting files in the same spot makes sense...but it doesn't work on SOAS - latest version.

VIEWER HELP

My copy of NWS comes with imprudence. I tried HB's instructions to change the viewer to Firestorm but it doesn't work. I only got it to work one time by not clicking the "log in" button and instead just firing up Firestorm, inputting the account info and set it to local. It loaded up but the console window was constantly streaming stuff and didn't stop.

I also attempted to move the imprudence folder from the NWS files and replace with firestorm - only it was a copy/paste from the one installed on my laptop...and of course it didn't work.

Does anyone know how to remove or replace imprudence with firestorm (or any other one) so that it automatically launches with NWS instead?

Does Firestorm let you export/import through the viewer or is it all restricted to the bin folder and console?

GOAL: I have stuff I built in Kitely that I want to export. I wanted to add it all to the FreebieMall, then export it to work on it in NWS. I understand imprudence doesn't do mesh (which explains why a lot of the test oars have warped flat pieces that are oddly textured but don't rez), but that Firestorm doesn't export anything already done with imprudence.

Any suggestions on how to solve this one?

Thanks!
Graham Mills

Re: NewWorldStudios Help

Post by Graham Mills »

Sorry, no relevant experience. I note, however, that the NWS blog doen't seem to have been updated since 2013.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

In SoaS, put the OARs and IARs in the bin folder.

Can't help with NWS, I'm afraid. It never worked on my Mac.
Serenity Sinclaire

Thanks. NWS is dated but still works fairly well all the same. I'd prefer to use Firestorm with it though so I can see mesh!
Isis Ophelia

Post by Isis Ophelia »

Let me try to answer your questions.

no, there is no way to replace the imprudence viewer. It is actually not necessary. The nws creator bundled it in the nws starter to make it simplier for users who have never used Opensim.

After you started your local grid, you can log with any viewer of your choice and connect to your localhost the same way you do it using soas. Once your grid is fully loaded, you can forget the nws starter, just leave it open on your desktop. To load IARs and OARs, you only need the console and the bin folder New World Studio/apps/opensim/006/bin (my nws its 2 years old, might be yours says 007 instead). Do you need help to load or save your OARs or IARs? just post it here, I am sure many of us have a local grid to help you out.
IDdesigns @ Kitely Marketplace http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2075571

You`d like to meet others inworld? Join the Meet & Chat Corner group and say hello
Serenity Sinclaire

Isis Ophelia wrote:Let me try to answer your questions.

no, there is no way to replace the imprudence viewer. It is actually not necessary. The nws creator bundled it in the nws starter to make it simplier for users who have never used Opensim.

After you started your local grid, you can log with any viewer of your choice and connect to your localhost the same way you do it using soas. Once your grid is fully loaded, you can forget the nws starter, just leave it open on your desktop. To load IARs and OARs, you only need the console and the bin folder New World Studio/apps/opensim/006/bin (my nws its 2 years old, might be yours says 007 instead). Do you need help to load or save your OARs or IARs? just post it here, I am sure many of us have a local grid to help you out.
Thanks for the assist...but I managed to figure it out. Mine is actually apps/OpenSim/2012001--

I did run into a warped issue with Firestorm not logging in after a few times but decided now's a good time to check out other viewers. Trying out Singularity because I learned it can export prim objects as DAE and reimport as mesh...and that there's the option to export the whole region for importing to Unity...which is what I'm way more interested in than the "social network/glorified chat room" of the OS variety.

I appreciate the response all the same.

I really wish NWS would get back on the ball - this is a perfectly awesome little tool and has helped me get the hang of it, the whole concept...and will make it easier to move to SOAS. I am developing a real world project and figure I can't use NWS though it'd be the best option...so I'm using it to learn on and test, and will then use SOAS for the project later.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Agreed about NWS. I used to know its author slightly as I was based on his (now closed) grid for a while. My guess is that the number of premium subscriptions didn't meet expectations and he found a better use for his time.
Serenity Sinclaire

Graham Mills wrote:Agreed about NWS. I used to know its author slightly as I was based on his (now closed) grid for a while. My guess is that the number of premium subscriptions didn't meet expectations and he found a better use for his time.
I'd imagine if he got on the ball and updated it, fixed the little issues and removed imprudence in favor of a CYOV option, and offered it again now it'd be way more popular. If all he was after was people giving him money then so be it...but if he made it available and updated it, I think he could do well - oh and promoting it more.

This is what bothers me about Ener and SOAS...and OS in general...that eventually the only ones who understand it and can make it do neat tricks will either get too greedy or bored and drop it. Then OS vanishes like Ener and her site all of a sudden. :|
Robert Hooke
Has thanked: 0

Post by Robert Hooke »

Serenity Sinclaire wrote: This is what bothers me about Ener and SOAS...and OS in general...that eventually the only ones who understand it and can make it do neat tricks will either get too greedy or bored and drop it. Then OS vanishes like Ener and her site all of a sudden. :|
Well, even mighty corporations like Google are liable to close services at short notice, generally when it suits them rather than their users. At least with OpenSim the codebase is open and there are multiple contributors as well as service providers. What will be interesting is the emergence of competition for OpenSim from HMD vendors (Oculus inter al) and associated companies like Steam. I doubt HiFi will be the only game in town. That said, it would nice to see a way forward for OpenSim.
These users thanked the author Robert Hooke for the post:
Serenity Sinclaire
Serenity Sinclaire

Robert Hooke wrote:
Serenity Sinclaire wrote: This is what bothers me about Ener and SOAS...and OS in general...that eventually the only ones who understand it and can make it do neat tricks will either get too greedy or bored and drop it. Then OS vanishes like Ener and her site all of a sudden. :|
Well, even mighty corporations like Google are liable to close services at short notice, generally when it suits them rather than their users. At least with OpenSim the codebase is open and there are multiple contributors as well as service providers. What will be interesting is the emergence of competition for OpenSim from HMD vendors (Oculus inter al) and associated companies like Steam. I doubt HiFi will be the only game in town. That said, it would nice to see a way forward for OpenSim.

I get the point but had to say there's not a chance in hell Google's going anywhere...they've jumped into VR, curing death, solar drone wifi, AI, and they bought robots.

If anything, they're gearing up for world domination...