Bright Canopy Pre-release works in Kitely

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Dot Matrix

Bright Canopy Pre-release works in Kitely

Post by Dot Matrix »

http://www.brightcanopy.com/

Bright Canopy is a application streaming service, a little like the now-defunct SL Go. It is currently in pre-release testing, and new sign-ups are welcome.

I've just used its Firestorm option to visit a couple of graphics-heavy Kitely worlds. I logged directly into my home world, then teleported to Imladris.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 9):
Ilan TochnerMarstol NitelyGraham MillsKeith SelmesCarlos LoffZuza RittSelby EvansShandon LoringSerene Jewell
Dot Matrix

Re: Bright Canopy Pre-release works in Kitely

Post by Dot Matrix »

I've now tested logging in via a Kitely World page -- that works too.

Next test: teleporting to another world after pressing the blue button on its Kitely world page -- that also works.

Now a hypergrid jump via the inworld map -- that worked.

And another hypergrid jump back to Kitely via a linking book teleportal -- that also worked.

===========
Note that because of the distance between my computer and the streaming servers and the fact that I have a relatively slow broadband connection, I do experience some lag. The Bright Canopy interface points out when this is causing problems.

Their blog says that hosting in more regions is planned, which should address the issue of distance.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 4):
Selby EvansAlexina ProctorShandon LoringSerene Jewell
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

I will try this too, and will report on my blog.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post (total 3):
Alexina ProctorCarlos LoffSerene Jewell
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

I had a very good experience with Bright Canopy, both on Kitely and while hypergridding around. It allows me to take higher quality pictures than my laptop normally allows. Plus it is all happening in the browser, so I don't have to have a separate cpu-hogging viewer open. I plan to try it with video next. There is a 2 hour test period before you have to pay anything. Right now, payment is .78 cents USD per hour.

BC is only in beta right now. They need to work out a navigation interface and a version for mobile devices, but this is very cool already.

A mobile version would mean you could use a Google cardboard device which you can get for $10 or so and then you could be immersed inside opensim worlds and how fabulous would THAT be?!! :D
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post:
Dot Matrix
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

There's a new Bright Canopy cloud in Ireland now: Opening the Emerald Isle. This should improve performance for users in Europe, Western Asia and Africa.

I've just tested this out. The latency issue is sorted, but my rural antiquated internet connection is still too slow for the graphics to stream fast enough (BT's fault, not Bright Canopy's). It's quite an attractive blurry watercolour effect (I logged in to the Kitely Welcome Center), but unfortunately extends to the text chat window.

BT has promised to upgrade the local exchange to fibre in the next six months or so. Maybe, just maybe...
onyxty delta

Post by onyxty delta »

I've been exploring Bright Canopy as well after reading this thread. My interest is two-fold:

1. Have the ability to access Kitely worlds when I'm not at my video capable laptop (i.e., iPad or iPhone)
2. As I use my world primarily as a learning environment I want my students to be able to participate from their mobile devices.

My initial observation is that while it works in a browser on a PC there are some latency issues. If I'm on my laptop that has good video capabilities I would choose the client (Firestorm, Singularity, etc.) over Bright Canopy. In addition, it does NOT work on my iPad or iPhone. Hopefully the mobile platform will come soon as that is where I think it would provide the most value.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Thanks to all for the feedback. I'm holding off for a mobile client, Android in my case.

Incidentally, for those Android- and UK-based, the Tesco Hudl 2 + Lumiya viewer seems to be a decent combination (the Hudl is a v low cost, mini-size tablet). While there are things that Lumiya has issues with, at least the interface is purpose-designed for mobile screen sizes. Sadly it hasn't been updated in almost a year so it's not clear that any shortcomings are likely to be addressed. As far as Kitely is concerned, I have found a tendency for the avatar to get stuck in the transfer station; starting the world first via the Manager interface seems to help.