SECOND LIFE Ex-Pats Welcome

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Shandon Loring

SECOND LIFE Ex-Pats Welcome

Post by Shandon Loring »

i been thinking about putting a 'Welcome To Kitely' package for sale on SL Marketplace. $0L of course.
As Selby noted most SL residents would have no idea they could resize their world. But then most wouldn't even know what an .oar is for that matter.

At a minimum this package would include an NC with links and LMs. A brief intro to what Kitely and OS is. I could even have it narrated so they can listen inworld. For a rezzable item maybe the signage from the house in the new Evergreen world. And remember this would be purchasable and rezzable in SL.

Any thoughts on what else should be included?
Anybody want their specific LMs included?
Any concerns about why this shouldnt be done?

I would love Community feedback, and if positive I'll get to work on it right away and list it in our SL store.

I can also make our Library Guest List (presently 4-digits long) aware of it and encourage them to come visit.

Hypergrid Explore tours and G+ groups could be a good thing to include too.

Maybe some Kitely designers would want to include some awesome free gifts too (with links to your store and world of course). Items would need to be uploadable to SL of course. I would be happy to facilitate the transfer and upload to SL for the intro package. It would also be grand to have such items available as .oxp and/or .dae files so as to help new folks be exposed to that concept.

Seanchai has a Freebie Mall in Kitely with free access to all. Mostly we have extended Linda Kellie stuff, but also Terrain and OAR files downloadble inworld. We would welcome Kitely merchants to put free items here too, with redirects to your regular store.

Okay.. done blabbing and brainstormng now.. thoughts my friends?
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 6):
Dot MatrixIlan TochnerGraham MillsSerene JewellOzwell WayfarerSelby Evans
Serene Jewell

Re: SECOND LIFE Ex-Pats Welcome

Post by Serene Jewell »

I think this is a great idea! I have a collection of landmarks to freebie places in Kitely I could contribute. And maybe I could write up a little notecard about the Kitely Community site at http://www.signofthekite.com. The links on the right hand side of the home page are handy for newcomers to have (forums, g+ group, calendar, etc.)
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

positive community feedback.....
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Constance Peregrine wrote:positive community feedback.....
You are so right!
I'll make an initial package this weekend and get it listed on SL Marketplace. Then we can flesh it out a bit, and then start promo-ing it in SL.

Thank you all!
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerConstance Peregrine
ZenWarrior Fuosing
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ZenWarrior Fuosing »

Shandon Loring wrote:i been thinking about putting a 'Welcome To Kitely' package for sale on SL Marketplace. $0L of course.
As Selby noted most SL residents would have no idea they could resize their world. But then most wouldn't even know what an .oar is for that matter.
So where is it? I'm one of those SL people and am not going to be as slow about learning when it's time to give up with Kitely or new virtual worlds and open sims as I was with Second Life. I have an account here, a forested world/sim/place/region/whatever-it's-called, and that's it. I despise my avie because it's of a race I am not. One of the first things any world should recognize by now is the importance of the avie. I see an avie which looks nothing like me, I'm not told how to make it look anything like me, and that's my first hint to log back out and walk away from Kitely.

It appears everyone thinks virtual worlds will just sell themselves and little marketing is needed. Given the very small numbers of users I see cited, clearly that notion is way off the mark. You can't sell a very new and different product without both educating and helping consumers. I've spent at two hours simply getting an account going. Kitely doesn't seem to care if I get the help I need or not. I can see the free six hours I'm given with the alpine forest will be gone before I use it at all. Great marketing, folks. NOT! With the very poor quality of marketing I've seen so far, any eagerness to participate and spend money is pretty much nipped in the bud before I even get started.

Most succinctly, I don't feel very welcome as a SL ex-pat. I only feel very confused.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

I'm sorry you feel that way ZenWarrior.

There are more than 11,100 regions in Kitely so I can understand how it can be hard to find things if you don't know where to look.

There are free avatar alternatives in the Kitely Welcome Center: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Il ... ome-Center

There are also free avatars in various other Kitely worlds, such as: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Ka ... ie-Mall-20

Alternatively, you can buy avatars in Kitely Market: https://www.kitely.com/market

You can find worlds that are accessible to you in the Explore Worlds page: https://www.kitely.com/search

You can also search for worlds in your viewer by pressing CTRL-F and searching in the websearch tab.

Only the time you spend inside your trial world is counted towards the free 6-hour trial. The time you spend in other Kitely worlds doesn't reduce the time you get with the free trial.

Like in SL, a lot of the community activity happens outside the virtual world. A good place to start is in the Kitely forums: https://www.kitely.com/forums/
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Shandon Loring
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

The region known as Stuff has the ReactionGrid avatar set outside the mall as well as Ina Centaur's multi-ethnic set from osavatars.org.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post (total 2):
Shandon LoringSelby Evans
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

ZenWarrior Fuosing wrote:So where is it? I'm one of those SL people and am not going to be as slow about learning when it's time to give up with Kitely or new virtual worlds and open sims as I was with Second Life. I only feel very confused.
Hi Zen,
Fair question... this particular thread was about my creating a Kitely intro package for distribution IN Second Life. As noted above, a large amount of those resources are available inside the Cabin you already have with the Evergreen .oar
I hope this helps.