why are help menus almost everywhere so un-helpful?

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
DrDavid Illig
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

why are help menus almost everywhere so un-helpful?

Post by DrDavid Illig »

I just found you folks today.
As usual the tech is made so that you ask your buddy how to do something and he tells you in 60 seconds.... OR you spend two hours trying to figure it out and then giving up because the software isn't helpful, it's designed for you to have the answers and otherwise, fail. And it laughs at you because you don't have the answers and once again you are proven dumb. But the software and computer know... they just aren't built to tell you.

So I am trying for hours to get the virtual world viewer Firestorm to play your Worlds. But of course the control panels they show for Firestorm aren't what shows after I download Firestorm per your instructions. The picture of control panel doesn't fit what I have. There is not Log into Grid box to enter Kitely. Or any where that I can find that says the word grid. Nor does the instructions about where to see whether it works only for something called Second Life. Nor anything that says anything about Opensimulator. Nothing that your instructions talk about matches with appears on Firestorm.

Why don't things match?

How does a person get to view your worlds with Firestorm? I am new to both as of today as well as virtual worlds.
Thanks for help with getting started, but please don't do the helping that applies to something different than what comes up. I wonder whether what I down loaded is out of date or whether your help is out of date?

Some day, really human helpful tech will be written.... helpful is different than "easy to use after you know how...."
David
Graham Mills

Re: why are help menus almost everywhere so un-helpful?

Post by Graham Mills »

Hi David

Are you following the instructions at https://kitely.atlassian.net/wiki/displ ... ual+Worlds?

Key points: you need Firestorm for OpenSim; if Kitely isn't listed in the grid menu on the login screen follow the instructions above to add it.

Welcome to Kitely. I'm just another user/resident and you've come to the right place to ask questions. There are many OpenSim grids, each slightly different, and Firestorm can't provide custom instructions that work for all.

Best wishes

Graham
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Welcome to Kitely David,

There are two main versions of Firestorm, one that supports both Second Life and OpenSim-based grids such as Kitely, and one that only works with Second Life.

Kitely is included in the default grid list of the Firestorm version that supports OpenSim. If you don't see a grid list then you are running the Second Life-only version of Firestorm and need to install the Firestorm version that also supports OpenSim in order to be able to log in to Kitely. You can download that version from the top of this page: https://kitely.atlassian.net/wiki/displ ... ual+Worlds
DrDavid Illig

Post by DrDavid Illig »

Hi folks. Thanks for replies. The problem, as is usual, is that I was following "what is supposed to work" but it doesn't do what is is said to do. I do it 20 times in a row and it doesn't work. Then when I ask for help. People tell me to do the same thing that I've been trying. Why, when I think I'm doing what I'm supposed to do, doesn't it do what they are saying it will do??????

I keep downloading things, this time I downloaded the 64 bit version because on you you gave a link to that. Again, there was not sign of grid box or anything similar.

I am using Mac. Older but with max RAM. Should I use 32 or 64?

I have down loaded 4 7 7. Where is stuff about grid or Kitely???? Here is screen shot so you can tell me where it is....

Thanks for help. David
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 10.05.18 AM.png
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I'm not Mac-based but my first thoughts are (i) that you are indeed missing a grid dropdown menu at the foot of the screen, (ii) that this may be because you have the Second Life-specific version of Firestorm installed. What happens if you select Viewer|Preferences? Do you see an OpenSim tab?
DrDavid Illig

Post by DrDavid Illig »

Hi..... It appears the issue is that "preferences" isn't active in pull down menu under FireStorm.

and that is were the grid manager is. Sorry I didn't spot that before....

Why is my preferences not active.....?
DrDavid Illig

Post by DrDavid Illig »

I think that I have the non specific second life viewer.... maybe.... but I can't access preferences so it may be set to second life and I can't either see for sure, or change it.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi David,

You attached a screenshot of the Second Life-only version of Firestorm,

Please uninstall that version from your computer and install the one from this link instead.
DrDavid Illig

Post by DrDavid Illig »

Downloaded what you suggested and it was 64. And it looks the same as I sent you..... Preferences is not active in menu under Firestorm

What is reason? David
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Please install the version I sent you to a different directory and open it from there. I believe you may be opening a version you had previously downloaded from somewhere else.