how to keep grid from shutting down

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Spring Fling
Has thanked: 0

how to keep grid from shutting down

Post by Spring Fling »

I want to come to kitely , but I need my grid to not shut down if i'm idle for hours at a time. does kitely have a way to make that happen?
These users thanked the author Spring Fling for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: how to keep grid from shutting down

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Spring Fling,

Kitely worlds automatically shut down when they are empty and are automatically restarted on a new sim the next time they are entered. The only change you'll experience as a user from logging / teleporting into an always-on sim is that you'll be logged into a Kitely Transfer Station world for the short time your world takes to start up and then be automatically transferred to your desired destination once it is ready (Kitely worlds start up much faster than regular OpenSim worlds).

As for idle timeouts, when you are idle inside your own Kitely world for more than 2 hours you get a warning that you're about to be disconnected if you don't press a button on that warning window to indicate you are still around. If you press that button you are given another 2 hours of being inactive inworld before the system warns you about a pending idle timeout disconnection again. The same mechanism exists for when you visit other people's Kitely worlds but, when in other people's worlds, you get 30 minutes of inactivity before the systems warns you of being inactive instead of 2 hours.

Kitely provides a lot of server resources per world. We can only maintain the low prices we charge for our powerful worlds by using the aforementioned on-demand system. Had we needed to keep worlds always on we would have needed to charge a lot more for our worlds.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Moonrise AzaleeBarnard SmithSelby Evans
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

I run events in Kitely and am often seemingly "idle" while doing so. The system does not recognize being in voice as activity so it has, on occasion, timed me out in the middle of talking in local voice because my av has not typed or moved in a long while. I try to remember that can happen and make a point of moving my av every so often. Honestly, Kitely has been the most reliable of the several grids I have used over the last decade or so. That includes SL.
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Freda,

This configurable timer HUD plays a sound to remind you to move around every once in a while: https://www.kitely.com/market/product/9902274/HUD-timer
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Freda Frostbite
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

it seems to me that my viewer AO gives enough movement to keep from being seen as idle, does it?
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Freda Frostbite

No. Your AO movement does not register as movement by the av. It gives the appearance of movement but not actual activity. I know this because my own AO is obnoxiously busy and still I get timed out if I do not actually move or type something every so often. I think it works kind of the same way some object prims only count on the region where the root prim is rezzed. It's why sky environments in sl can overhang several parcels and not affect anyone's prim allowance except the parcel where the surround is centered. I think in the case of an AO, the system does not see the av as moving. If you look on a parcel map, even someone with a very active ao appears to be standing still until they actually walk or fly.
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

I have never gotten a time out notice. I suspect that is because I cam around a lot, even when seated. (I don't really know that camming counts as activity, but it should.)
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Selby,

If I'm not mistaken, camming is done viewer side only but the head movements it creates are transfered to the sim so they should count as inworld activity.
Freda Frostbite

AH- this explains why I have never been timed out while attending an event but have been while leading one.
Spring Fling
Has thanked: 0

Post by Spring Fling »

Thanks all for your help