Any interest in "Low Poly" style design?

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Ozwell Wayfarer

Any interest in "Low Poly" style design?

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to find out if there is any general interest in the "low poly" school of design here?

I noticed at the Fantasy Faire in SL this year that this sort of design seems to be very in at the moment. For an example of what I am talking about, see the below link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=low+pol ... +landscape

The great thing about this type of design is it is pretty easy, can be very visually striking AND its very performance friendly. Its definitely not my cup of tea for VR, but I can see how people might use it in Opensim for certain projects.

I have always tended towards more realism in my design, but if there was sufficient interest, I might make a low poly landscaping pack to test the water :)
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerDon Smith
Chav Paderborn

Re: Any interest in "Low Poly" style design?

Post by Chav Paderborn »

It's cute!
These users thanked the author Chav Paderborn for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

Interesting things... I can see why many like this type of design, its matching with the look and feel of many of todays video games from both PC and consoles. I'd bet there is a market for it, how big in OS, i am unsure. Good Luck with it if you pursue this.
These users thanked the author Don Smith for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
Kurtis Anatine

Post by Kurtis Anatine »

I would definitely be interested in learning! I'm also into anything low polygon, specially in here!
These users thanked the author Kurtis Anatine for the post (total 2):
Don SmithOzwell Wayfarer
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Shades of There.com!

Interesting how things come full circle.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Ozwell WayfarerPaislee Myrtle
Ozwell Wayfarer

The style has gained popularity due to the rise of mobile games, which need much smaller assets and texture sizes then modern PC/Xbox/PS games. The cartoonish style masks the simplicity. Low poly has also become big in design circles outside of the "traditional" 3D world. Low poly logos and portraits have become quite trendy.

Teaching this style is actually an interesting idea. As I mentioned, this is a pretty easy style to get started in. Once you understand the basics, it would be easy to add more details. This might make a great starter class for the builders guild!
Kurtis Anatine

Post by Kurtis Anatine »

Ozwell Wayfarer wrote:The style has gained popularity due to the rise of mobile games, which need much smaller assets and texture sizes then modern PC/Xbox/PS games. The cartoonish style masks the simplicity. Low poly has also become big in design circles outside of the "traditional" 3D world. Low poly logos and portraits have become quite trendy.

Teaching this style is actually an interesting idea. As I mentioned, this is a pretty easy style to get started in. Once you understand the basics, it would be easy to add more details. This might make a great starter class for the builders guild!
You nailed it right there. I know a few content creators that have this kind of approach when creating within virtual worlds. Trying to get the most detail from the smallest amount of polygons is always good practise, specially in here where having something too crazy can make your client turn into a slideshow. It might be a nice refresher for a few people just to get back to basics too :)
These users thanked the author Kurtis Anatine for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
Moonrise Azalee

Post by Moonrise Azalee »

I love the low poly look. Cartoonish and surreal. The only thing is that it doesn't gel well with the majority of avatar types. In a video game, the characters in worlds like this are also more cartoonish looking. The alice avi in my profile pic wood do well in a space like that :) I play Wildstar and this reminds me alot of that. I also play lots of voxel games like Minecraft and Staxel etc - to me it's appealing but would love to see more avatar styles that could blend into such a space.
Ozwell Wayfarer

Kurtis Anatine wrote: You nailed it right there. I know a few content creators that have this kind of approach when creating within virtual worlds. Trying to get the most detail from the smallest amount of polygons is always good practise, specially in here where having something too crazy can make your client turn into a slideshow. It might be a nice refresher for a few people just to get back to basics too :)
Yes you should ALWAYS use the fewest polys and smallest textures for the task. I have seen some serious monstrosities uploaded to Opensim.
Ozwell Wayfarer

Looks like Kurtis has beaten me to the punch :)

https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Ku ... Collective

looks awesome Kurtis, cant wait to see what you do!