Debating investment in this world

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Piddle Potz
Has thanked: 0

Debating investment in this world

Post by Piddle Potz »

Hello Community,

My husband and I are hoping to be an SL expats, and loving the idea of the tier pricing. I have been sent ahead to scout the grid. I have seen some lovely builds, and the market system looks very interesting. We would love to build our own sim and contribute to the community. The only issue that I have found is that there is no one on the grid whenever I log in. I am going by the world map, so would that be a feature that is still in development? I am wondering if I am logging in at the wrong times. Any help on what I am doing wrong would be appreciated. I would love to find where everyone is hanging out.
These users thanked the author Piddle Potz for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerSelby Evans
Ilan Tochner

Re: Debating investment in this world

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Welcome to Kitely Piddle,

There are close to 14,000 regions on Kitely, spread out on more than 12,000 private islands (AKA "worlds" in Kitely), and people tend to spend most of their time in their own worlds. The world map is therefore a very ineffective way to find other people inworld.

A much more effective way is to use the Destinations panel in the viewer login screen. The worlds you see there are publicly accessible and should currently have people inside them (other than the official Kitely provided worlds which are always displayed, regardless of whether or not they are currently occupied).
Roswenthe Blackwell

Post by Roswenthe Blackwell »

Also, opensim is a bit different from SL in that while there are individual grids like Kitely, many of them are connected together and you can jump from one to another. So while Kitely may not be showing many people at the moment, you could have a number of people from other grids who would show up when an event is announced or planned.

There's a strong evening Pacific/SLT group in Kitely, as that's when I see events, but most people I know are not in that time zone. Some grids are targeted at certain countries or regions, so they have active communities at different times.
Piddle Potz
Has thanked: 0

Post by Piddle Potz »

Thank you for the information. I have jumped to some other grids. I had a feeling that most users logged in according to region. I did find http://www.hyperica.com/grid_tag/kitely/ We will continue looking :)
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

You can find a lot more publicly available Kitely worlds listed on the Explore Worlds page on our website: https://www.kitely.com/search
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Also invite people to be your friends. You will see them online whether they are on Kitely or some other grid. And you can (usually) IM them, wherever they are.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Welcome, Piddle Potz!

A good way to find friends to add to your list in a short time is to come to the Kitely Community meeting on Sunday, at 1 pm Pacific time. It's held at the Kitely Welcome Center, and is regularly attended by 20+ avatars, both newcomers and old-hands.

Another way is to join the Kitely Community inworld group (there's a group joiner in the Kitely Welcome Center), and to say hello in group chat. People are friendly and welcoming, and often ready for a chat.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerSelby Evans
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Piddle Potz wrote:Hello Community,

My husband and I are hoping to be an SL expats, and loving the idea of the tier pricing. I have been sent ahead to scout the grid. I have seen some lovely builds, and the market system looks very interesting. We would love to build our own sim and contribute to the community. The only issue that I have found is that there is no one on the grid whenever I log in. I am going by the world map, so would that be a feature that is still in development? I am wondering if I am logging in at the wrong times. Any help on what I am doing wrong would be appreciated. I would love to find where everyone is hanging out.
Welcome. First off, join the Kitely Community Group, that has the largest membership I've seen and you can generally find people who are regularly online through that. If you are looking for entertainment, the Kitely After Dark group is also good. Finding people via the map is not useful in opensim. Come to the community meetings on sundays to meet folks who are involved in the community. Also, people whose posts you find useful in this forum, IM us inworld and friend us, we are very friendly!
These users thanked the author Mike Lorrey for the post:
Ilan Tochner