Inability to reach regions

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Elbereth Elentari 2

Inability to reach regions

Post by Elbereth Elentari 2 »

What does it mean when one gets the following message while waiting to be transferred:

"could not retrieve target grid information"

It's happened to me, but I'm hearing from visitors from other grids that they have trouble entering Lisianthus...

Many thanks in advance for any insights!
Ilan Tochner

Re: Inability to reach regions

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Elbereth,

It means that the grid the person is currently connected to is having problems connected to the grid that person is trying to teleport into.

What grid were you in when it happened to you and what grid were you trying to teleport into?
Elbereth Elentari 2

Hi Ilan,

it happened to me as I was first trying to log in. Cache was clear, so it may have simply been a connection problem my end.
Spike Sol (owner of Weltraumbahnhof) was trying to connect from her soloton grid to Kitely and experienced the same problem trying to reach the History Hub and Lisianthus. But this has only occurred during the last few days and not at any time in the past.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Please ask Sol to try to teleport from her grid to the Kitely Welcome Center. Did that work for her?
Elbereth Elentari 2

I've asked and await her reply, Ilan.
I doubt she ever enters through the Welcome Center as she sets up and tests her hypergrid-gates directly into the regions.
Will get back to you asap.
Elbereth Elentari 2

Ilan, this is Sol's response:

-The teleport to the welcome center is ok. Only to the other regions is no more. It has nothing to do with the ping. The regions do not respond.-
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

What specifically does he mean by "the regions do not respond"?

These particular worlds take a very long time to start up (due to the amount of different content they contain). Is he routed to the Kitely Transfer Station? Has he waited a few minutes in the Kitely Transfer Station to be automatically teleported into these worlds?
Elbereth Elentari 2

Sol got the following message "could not retrieve target grid information" after waiting a couple of minutes in the Transfer Station.
It's happened to me once or twice before, but I just relogged and then mostly entered the region without issues.
Sol did make it to Lisianthus at some point, as her name is listed on the visitor stats.
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

I wonder if there is a time out problem here. I am pretty sure I have run into time-outs on hypergrid requests. Maybe especially when the sim is busy with other people coming in. I get a notice that the TP failed. I try a few minutes later and it works.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

That's a good hypotheses Selby but the Hypergrid teleport does bring him to the Kitely Transfer Station. From there it's another teleport to the destination world but that is only initiated once the world is already active. This particular world takes a long time to load but that shouldn't cause a timeout once the destination world is already active. That said, it would be interesting to see whether he encounters the same problem when trying to teleport into that world with a Kitely avatar.