Kitely's stance on OpenSim 0.8.2.1 vs. OpenSim 0.9.0

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Dadiella Nightwing

Re: Kitely's stance on OpenSim 0.8.2.1 vs. OpenSim 0.9.0

Post by Dadiella Nightwing »

Ilan Tochner wrote:So is it correct to say that your products from Kitely Market worked just fine when delivered to a grid running OpenSim 0.9.0?
Most of them. That's why I was so puzzled. When I went to read what was "different" about uploading for 0.9x, it basically said to use a physics mesh when uploading, which is something I always did. (I felt Indignant - of COURSE I do it RIGHT!! lol) I was stumped because I was having problems, specifically with the Apartment building and my Terra Cotta House. So, I went through and read the Opensim Office hour transcripts and in there someone pointed out that early on there was a bug in Firestorm OS version that was not using the physics meshes (e.g. it discarded them even though you uploaded them.) Then the light bulb went on - that those 2 projects were the first buildings I uploaded into Kitely and I always used the 64 bit viewer. So the Apartment Building and the Terra Cotta house need a few things reuploaded before they will be ready for 0.9.

For Merchants, I would advise rezzing things in a 9.x Sandbox before declaring them ready and compatible. Osgrid has a sandbox running ubOde (sandbox III) that is perfect for this task. It's not as snappy as being on Kitely, though. lol. If you are having collision problems, you can find the offending prim by looking in the Features tab. If you can't set the physics shape type to "Prim," then that mesh will need to be reuploaded.

I haven't had any issues with scripts at all. My HUDS and Builder's Buddy and the Photo Studio work fine over there.
These users thanked the author Dadiella Nightwing for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansHandy Low
Dadiella's for Fashion and Brayla Sana Gallery for Building!
Louis-Francis De_Beauharnois

Post by Louis-Francis De_Beauharnois »

I agree with you Dadiella, I used to upload my mesh when first arrived in Kitely with physic prims as it is how it should be done in SL. Now the UbODE work very close to SL. all my mesh I uploaded prior to changing to the proposed uploading technique of Opensim (Using the 0 LOD to generate Physic) work perfectly on UbODE, all those I did after have no or inproper physic.

So builders should already begin to work the SL way to maintain compatibility in the futur, anyway using Prim physic have no issue on 0.8.2 either ODE or Bullet and for those using Bullet you should enjoy having your stairs made of a triangle prim as it will easier to climb.

I would also like to say that llTempAttach is about to be added to OpenSim 0.9.1 and a lot of usefull script added in 0.9 already (like AnimOverride), so the move have to be done one day for sure :D

And remember, you can always use invisible prim for physic over your non 0.9 compatible mesh if you don't want to upload again (Like some do in SL)
These users thanked the author Louis-Francis De_Beauharnois for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansHandy Low
Dadiella Nightwing

Post by Dadiella Nightwing »

The tricky part, though, is that when you are in Kitely, because you originally uploaded the mesh the "right" way, but the physics mesh was discarded due to the old Firestorm Bug (which has long been fixed, so update your Firestorm to be sure), It looks fine and you have the "Prim" choice. (The metadata must believe the physics mesh exists even though it doesn't.)

You won't see the problem UNTIL you rez the item in an ubOde sim. That's why I highly recommend all merchants test their products in ubOde before declaring them Opensim 9.x ready.
These users thanked the author Dadiella Nightwing for the post (total 2):
Handy LowSelby Evans
Dadiella's for Fashion and Brayla Sana Gallery for Building!