Things disappearing today (9/21/18) from my island on reload

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Eileen O'Connor

Things disappearing today (9/21/18) from my island on reload

Post by Eileen O'Connor »

:o :o help!!! I have been working on my island Marian because I have a number of presentations coming up with invited guests and I have been setting up different seating arrangements and saving my islands. (Marian) I just went to test one of the versions I had saved earlier this morning and when I opened it, most of the trees and shrubs (placed on that section of the island by one of my designated builders) and it appears that all of slide shows from PresomaticTurbo , that I have created for years when speakers come to the island, and then have placed around the island seem to have disappeared off the island as well. Fortunately, I still see the presentations in my inventory.

Can anyone tell me why these items have disappeared from the island itself — it seems to have happened somewhere between my exporting the island, then working on the island, and exporting the new version and then opening the earlier version. I have so many classes coming this week to this environment and I can't keep on finding where everything has gone. Any ideas or suggestions, please??? thanks for any help here (eileen.oconnor@esc.edu)
These users thanked the author Eileen O'Connor for the post:
Dahlea Milena
Ilan Tochner

Re: Things disappearing today (9/21/18) from my island on reload

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Eileen,

Did you view the World Export Reports when you exported your world to check what, if anything, was filtered out of the OAR files? It's possible that the objects you reported missing were not exportable and thus not included in the OAR files which you later used to replace your world with (assuming I correctly followed your description of the events).

See: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... plemented/

Our system automatically saves up to 10 days worth of world state backups. These daily backups are created at different hours throughout the day so I can't promise they will include your latest changes but we can restore your world to one of these backups if you want. If that is what you wish, how many days back should we go?
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Eileen O'ConnorMichael TimelessDahlea Milena
Eileen O'Connor

Post by Eileen O'Connor »

Ilan, let me check - I will see if I can find the report. I am wondering (since it seems to be the work my student did and the presomaticTurbo that are missing, I might not have permission to export those - something I need to learn - I am doing some experimental checks myself. If I make someone a builder, I might have to be sure that they set the permissions right for myself

I don't want to lose the other things that I have been working on, so I probably won't ask for a find-old-version, but I have the dean coming in a few weeks so I have to be sure I get this right. I REALLY appreciate you filling me in. Lots to learn - but I am mostly a teacher so I am not as smart about things as I wish I could be. eileen
These users thanked the author Eileen O'Connor for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerMichael TimelessDahlea Milena
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Eileen, please let me know if you need our help.

Just to fill in other people who weren't privy to our IM conversation, when you create things inworld with other people then it's a good idea to use the Copy World feature in your My Worlds page to create Kitely-hosted backups of your world (saved as Stored Worlds in your account). This feature doesn't filter non exportable content from the world copies so you can use it to backup things that you aren't able to export. See: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... rmissions/
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Michael TimelessDahlea MilenaSelby Evans