Relay For Life and opensim worlds

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Mykyl Nordwind

Re: Relay For Life and opensim worlds

Post by Mykyl Nordwind »

my solar batteries are about dead - looking forward to picking up this conversation tomorrow.
Olivia Lothiriel

Post by Olivia Lothiriel »

Mykyl Nordwind wrote:For many years I was active in the RFL (Relay For Life) kiosks in SL - hosting them and being members of groups which helped to raise funds for cancer research. These were, and still are, an impressive use of virtual worlds to raise funds for cancer research and my inability to continue to participate due to limited internet access has got me thinking about broader lines and ways to use virtual worlds. With the new restrictions on virtual currency, and the problems I am seeing with people trying to participate in RFL through Inworldz I am wondering if there are scripters out there who would be interested in creating kiosks in ANY virtual world that would allow people to donate directly to a PayPal account. These would have benefits not only to charity causes like RFL, but to any vendor who wished to sell items outside of whatever virtual world of which they were a member. I do not have the scripting abilities or knowledge to do this, but would it not be a benefit to all virtual worlds to work this out? It does not seem, from what I understanding of programming and the internet that this would be too difficult, but I know that I do not have the ability to implement this. Any thoughts or ideas or scripts? :)

I just donate in RL but charity has to donate more then 80% of it's donations to the life issue's as big charity's lately have had goverment warnings that they must at least give 10% to the couse they are campaigning as I will not donate to any charity who has a CEO that makes a million dollars a year not sure facts on RFL just throwing this out
I do donate local that's were charity sould start as I write a check each month to local humane society & Homeless outreach center to help homeless disabled vets
just throwing this out as discussion

your pal Olivia
“Fashions fade, style is eternal.”
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

My first thought was, we can use paypal here anyway, or at least it's in the pipeline.
So the Dundridge comments click with me immediately.
A charity, any charity, could have their free world and Kitely store, but they don't have to stick to one dollar donations, creators could indeed donate whatever to their favourite charity, and others buy items from the store. And their free world has potential to illustrate and promote their work or the issue they're dealing with.

Doesn't quite answer the original question, but some interesting doors are nudged open and the basic ideas Dundridge put up look useful.
These users thanked the author Keith Selmes for the post:
Dundridge Dreadlow
Mykyl Nordwind

Post by Mykyl Nordwind »

Thanks to all for your replies- lots of food for thought here.