Asking a favor of my fellow Kitelians...

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Antonio Valenti

Asking a favor of my fellow Kitelians...

Post by Antonio Valenti »

Originally coming from SL back in its hayday, I've never gotten use to the lack of visitors to my sims. It gets pretty lonely sometimes.

Now that "we have the technology" to create NPC's, I thought it would be worth the effort to create a region of islands that "appeared" populated when people visited, and maybe (just maybe) would be a perk to get people to visit often.

I'm working on a 4x4 Caribbean-style region to both showcase my building styles AND provide a spot that Kitely and Hypergrid folks might drop in now and then.

So, what's my favor?

I set up about 50 pose balls at the entry spot for the islands that will copy your avatar and eventually animate them as NPCs around the islands, filling out that "population" I mentioned. My plan is to assign an animation (sitting, lounging, talking, etc.), change the NPC's name to something generic, and place them throughout the 4x4 region. If I could get 50-100 volunteers, this would quickly populate the islands.

Please consider visiting "Kokomo Islands" and claiming a pose ball. If I actually get more than the 50 that are already in place, I'll add more.

While your there, please take a look at what's been done already, and feel free to suggest what would bring you back to visit often.

Thank you for your time,
Antonio Valenti

PS: Oh, and does anyone know how to get our regions listed on the "Places to visit" area of the signon splash-screen?
These users thanked the author Antonio Valenti for the post (total 3):
Selby EvansIlan TochnerChris Namaste
Selby Evans

Re: Asking a favor of my fellow Kitelians...

Post by Selby Evans »

Antonio Valenti wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:09 pm
Originally coming from SL back in its hayday, I've never gotten use to the lack of visitors to my sims. It gets pretty lonely sometimes.

Now that "we have the technology" to create NPC's, I thought it would be worth the effort to create a region of islands that "appeared" populated when people visited, and maybe (just maybe) would be a perk to get people to visit often.

I'm working on a 4x4 Caribbean-style region to both showcase my building styles AND provide a spot that Kitely and Hypergrid folks might drop in now and then.

So, what's my favor?

I set up about 50 pose balls at the entry spot for the islands that will copy your avatar and eventually animate them as NPCs around the islands, filling out that "population" I mentioned. My plan is to assign an animation (sitting, lounging, talking, etc.), change the NPC's name to something generic, and place them throughout the 4x4 region. If I could get 50-100 volunteers, this would quickly populate the islands.

Please consider visiting "Kokomo Islands" and claiming a pose ball. If I actually get more than the 50 that are already in place, I'll add more.

While your there, please take a look at what's been done already, and feel free to suggest what would bring you back to visit often.

Thank you for your time,
Antonio Valenti

PS: Oh, and does anyone know how to get our regions listed on the "Places to visit" area of the signon splash-screen?
Interesting idea. You might get more interest if you pose the NPCs to make stories. You can amplify the stories with notecards placed in nearby objects.
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

I visited there but the poseballs said I did not have permission to use them.

I think the destinations on the entry page are there because someone recently went there, causing them to rez. If you pick one as your destination, you will usually not have to wait for it to rez.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Chris Namaste
Antonio Valenti

Selby Evans wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:58 pm
I visited there but the poseballs said I did not have permission to use them.

I think the destinations on the entry page are there because someone recently went there, causing them to rez. If you pick one as your destination, you will usually not have to wait for it to rez.
I think i've fixed the poseballs so they can be used - thanks for letting me know. :) Please try again.
These users thanked the author Antonio Valenti for the post:
Chris Namaste
Antonio Valenti

Selby Evans wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:37 pm
Interesting idea. You might get more interest if you pose the NPCs to make stories. You can amplify the stories with notecards placed in nearby objects.
I like that idea - maybe set up a few mysteries or treasure hunts :)
These users thanked the author Antonio Valenti for the post:
Chris Namaste
Frank SquirrelHerder

Post by Frank SquirrelHerder »

I'll be sure to check out your sim!

The lack of traffic is a common issue throughout Kitely and the wider OS hypergrid, I've found. I think it's not so much that there are a lack of people as it is an abundance of "land". In SL, land is supremely expensive, so the ~50,000 or so concurrent users are concentrated in a smaller area.

Throughout the hypergrid, on the other hand, there are probably nearly as many users, but they're spread out among something like 400+ grids. And a grid like Kitely has 18,021 regions! So that's a lot of land with very few visitors.

I compare it to the wild west of America compared to more urbanized Europe. We really don't appreciate just how much different in population density there is. It creates a different culture as a result.

So our objective is to attract visitors and to give them something worth sticking around for. NPCs might create an illusion, but be careful about over-using them. I've been to sims with 50 NPCs and the lag was so god-awful I couldn't move without rubber-banding around. That's not the sort of place social people want to hang out with. NPCs are novel and neat but sometimes get overused.

Be sure to get your sim listed on https://opensimworld.com/dir -- it's easy to do, and once you're on there you can expect a steady trickle of visitors, I think, assuming your sim has content that will bring explorers returning. I've seen a lot of sim owners offer free parcels of land, which helps encourage repeat visitors (which in turn gets your sim kicked further up the charts both for Kitely and OpensimWorld). Even 2-3 concurrent visitors is often enough to get you on the front page, so it's not an insurmountable hurdle.

Sims like Caribou (an adult dance club) host daily and weekly events to draw in casual visitors, while others like Seanchai Library and the Naboo Star Wars sim host short story readings to attract their respective audiences.

Just taking a "if you build it, they will come" approach doesn't work. You'll have to be proactive and involved to attract tourists! :)

I'll log in now and check out your world. Wishing you the very best of luck! A rising tide lifts all boats, so your success is the success of each of us in Kitely.
These users thanked the author Frank SquirrelHerder for the post (total 2):
Chris NamasteSelby Evans
By day I write modern fantasy novels, by night I torture prims!