Teleport Station

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Scurvy Ragu 2
Has thanked: 0

Teleport Station

Post by Scurvy Ragu 2 »

Lately im being logged out at the teleport station waiting for my destination to open several times.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Teleport Station

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Scurvy,

Please run https://www.speedtest.net/

What ping time, upload speed and download speeds are you getting?
Scurvy Ragu 2

Post by Scurvy Ragu 2 »

PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps

Nothing wrong with my speed.. I keep crashing at the TP station
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

The ping time you're getting on this test is horrible as that is the ping to your ISP and it should therefor be a low single digit number.

Are you connecting over a mobile phone or satellite connection?
Scurvy Ragu 2

Post by Scurvy Ragu 2 »

I have high speed cable.. Stop trying to blame me. I can easlily connect to secondlife
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Scurvy, I'm not blaming you I'm trying to help you find the cause for your disconnections.

Disconnections from the server happen when the connection between your viewer and the server times out. When nothing crashed, that can happen either because of load on the server, because of load on your computer or because of load on the network connection between your viewer and the server. You are only placed in the Kitely Transfer Station when you are trying to log into a world that is in the process of starting up. As our system is not showing any problems with worlds starting up (as in all those that have began starting had completed doing so) the problem is either with the load on your computer or the load on your network. As I assume you wouldn't blame us for failed teleport attempts when your viewer froze then the only other option is that network load is the cause of your disconnections. Which is why I asked you to run this test.

Now regarding your results. You shouldn't be getting such a high ping value when connecting to your own ISP. It means that the network is congested. If you're currently streaming content on your network then please try stopping that and seeing if your ping times are reduced. If they are then you're less likely to encounter disconnections.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Tess Juel
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

'Scuse my contradiction but I agree with Scurvy. 43 is not a bad ping time. If it was 120 or more then sure... that might result in lag. But it shouldn't result in a failed teleport.

I once had MagicJack try to tell me that 35 ping wasn't sufficient for their voice-only VOIP service-- yet I can high-stream Netflix, Prime and YouTube videos with no problem whatsoever. If one Googles "How fast should my ping be?" we get this as the very first answer:

"Ping amounts of 100 ms and below are average for most broadband connections. In gaming, any amounts below a ping of 20 ms are considered exceptional and “low ping,” amounts between 50 ms and 100 ms range from very good to average, while a ping of 150 ms or more is less desirable and deemed “high ping.”

Another site states: "The most desirable speed is that the ping is less than 100ms, and from 65ms the connection is very acceptable."

Another states: "An acceptable ping is around the 40ms-60ms mark or lower. A speed of over 100ms shows a noticeable delay and over 170 some games will reject your connection entirely."

So consistently we see that 100ms mark for ping measurement.

My own ping runs up to 65ms on an average and seldom below 30ms when running a speed test... and my system is high-speed cable Internet (226 mbps). I know some people have far lower ping; others have far higher. I've run Second Life on pings as high as 120 before experiencing any lag. So with respect, I don't think Scurvy's 43 ping is the problem.
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Snoots,

The aforementioned test isn't a test of ping time to the sim, i.e. to the Kitely world, it's a test of Scurvy's ping time from his computer to his ISP. It's measuring the speed his computer can communicate with the servers providing his Internet connection, which is something that should be VERY fast. For example, when I run this test with my own ISP I get a ping time of 2ms, compared to my inworld ping time in the viewer which is about 220ms (which is the time it takes for a message from my Israel-based home computer to travel to Kitely's California-based servers then back again to my home computer).

In other words, when measuring the ping time it's important to keep in mind what ping time you're trying to measure. The speed to your ISP's servers should be very fast, while the speed to other servers around the world can be much slower. If the ping time to your ISP is slow then that indicates that you're on a problematic connection (at least in terms of likelihood of getting packet loss due to timeouts).

Also, keep in mind that a cable connection is a shared connection with your neighbors, i.e. the load they place on their connection creates load on your own connection. Compare that to a DSL or fiber connection where your connection to the ISP is not shared with that of your neighbors.
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Woohoo! Debate time! :P

You recommended to Scurvy to use Speedtest.net. With respect, I don't believe this is a test between him and his ISP. It is a speed test between the user and a randomly-picked test point. At the beginning of the test one can view the test system searching for an acceptable testing location. That location (at least in my case) is never my local ISP... and the ping is not determined until the test begins.

When I run Speedtest.net I get ping time ranging from about 31 to 65ms on an average. When I drop to IPconfig and ping my ISP, my average ping time is 4ms. Observably these are two different ping results.

Local ISP ping is just one part of the trail with how the user communicates with Kitely. As we know, every point along the way has its own ping. While yes, a fast ISP ping will increase that overall ping speed (and there are ISPs with lousy ping time)... it is the overall ping time between the user and Kitely that would affect a communications drop.

Ilan, you are in an unusual situation that we've discussed before. You're running on a super-high-speed Internet connection that blows the doors off 99.9% of the users out here. But as you mentioned you're in Israel, so your total ping time is 220ms. Nevertheless, your Internet speed somewhat makes up for that very bad ping time. (But think about it: if your ping is 220 and Welcome TP isn't dropping you, it's obvious Scruvy's 43 ping isn't going to be an issue.)

Ada and I were just discussing this the other day. We were chatting about that still-existing issue of 2D textures taking so long to load when dragged from inventory to a prim surface (or when double-clicked to view on our screen while building). For me and a whole buncha other users, the average time for such a task is 15 to 24 seconds (which is rather bad). For Ada though her load time is between 1-8 seconds (usually closer to 1 second, or even less). But like you, Ada has a super-fast Internet connection (plus a killer graphics card that I envy. So that helps.)

So that super-fast Internet connection can make a really big difference-- and makes it difficult to understand the majority of us who at best have a connection speed of about 200mbps (if we're lucky). Many out here have connection speeds of 25mbps.

The point being made: your Internet speed and ping time is likely far different than mine and Scurvy's, with significantly different results.

So respectfully, I still hold that Scurvy's ping time is not the issue. Today I was showing a ping time of 65ms and I was operating without a glitch. I'm not saying that Kitely is the issue... but I do remember a conversation we had in which the solution was Kitely putting 10-second brakes on teleporting out of Welcome Center after logging in, because it couldn't be expected of users to remember to count 10 seconds before TPing out. That fix worked, and worked really well.

What Scurvy is discussing here is a question of performance and its root cause. I believe that root cause isn't his ping. It might be some other hardware-related problem, or it may be something logical like that 10 second delay at Welcome Center. I think that's what Scurvy is trying to locate and understand. Whatever is dropping him while waiting for a TP, I'm doubting ping is the issue. If he's not experiencing the same thing elsewhere, that's an important clue.
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

The ping time is an indicator of how long communications take, it isn't the cause for anything. My own ping time to our servers is much slower than that of anyone connecting from the US or Europe using anything other than a satellite connection. But I'm on a dedicated connection from my router to my ISP, which is different from a cable connection, which is a shared connection, from Scurvy's computer to his ISP. This means that what my neighbors do has very little impact on my own connection (other than placing a non-significant amount of load on the ISP itself), while Scurvy's neighbors which are sharing the same cable connection as him, can easily cause scurvy's connection to be congested.

Looking at Scurvy's connection log, I'm seeing he teleported from Kitely Transfer station or Kitely Welcome Center to Tessin multiple times over the past day and each time he was teleported to the world and got disconnected from it about 1:10-1:15 minutes afterwards. Tessin didn't crash when this happened so this tells me that: (A) the teleport did complete and (B) that something is causing Scurvy's viewer to disconnect from the server about 1:15 minutes after he connects to that world.

Knowing what he sees in his viewer could help. If the viewer didn't show the teleport completed then that means it didn't get the message from the server that the avatar has entered the world. If the viewer did show the teleport completed but his viewer got disconnected shortly afterwards then did his viewer crash, freeze or display some message when that happened?

Does reducing his viewer graphics settings and clearing the viewer cache change anything? I see he's using a somewhat outdated version of Firestorm, does upgrading to the newest version fix this issue for him?
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Snoots Dwagon