The Difference between Kitely and Firestorm

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Snoots Dwagon

The Difference between Kitely and Firestorm

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

The difference between Kitely and the Firestorm Viewer Team:

Kitely has a weekly meeting in which anyone is invited to attend, old and new alike. All comments are welcome; all comments are answered to best of ability. Ilan shows respect for every single person. Kitely listens to suggestions as well as outright complaints, and listens no matter how tactful the comments. Kitely evidently realizes that feedback is gold... and invites such. Because of this people tend to feel "part of the family", and Kitely builds a loyal user-base.

Conversely, Firestorm has a JIRA. When one files a detailed post making a feature request, the post can be quickly closed without a word, no comment, and marked Resolution: Won't Implement. No explaination, no reason, suggestion ignored.

Is there any wonder then that Firestorm is so full of bugs and problems, and years-old problems such as texture load issues and UI issues still remain?

I'm a pretty friendly Dwagon (try to be anyway). But I've filed my last JIRA on Firestorm. It is evidently a waste of my time. I said it before and I'll say it again: I wish someone with some real people skillz and business skillz would step up and start a donation-funded (or business-funded) Viewer project that focuses on Opensim. We need our own viewer... and a viewer Dev team that is more friendly and responsive to user needs.

'Scuse the frankness here. But having a JIRA closed without any comment is just rude. :evil:

Thanks yew for letting me vents.

EDIT: See following posts for a positive update on this post. : )

Last edited by Snoots Dwagon on Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerAda RadiusChris NamasteKoshari Mahana
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Ilan Tochner

Re: The Difference between Kitely and Firestorm

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Snoots, in their defense Beq, the person who works on OpenSim support in Firestorm, has been very responsive to emails and bug requests we've sent her.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 5):
Snoots DwagonAda RadiusChris NamasteRezMela AppsKoshari Mahana
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

I've heard good things about Beq; she wasn't involved in this particlar JIRA shutdown
So above rant excludes Beq. :D
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 3):
Ada RadiusChris NamasteKoshari Mahana
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

UPDATE:

Just today Tonya Souther on the Firestorm team answered this missive, starting out:

"1) I apologize that the JIRA was simply closed. That is not how we should be handling things."

She continued to discuss the decision (I didn't personally agree with the reasons, but at least she explained)... and mentioned consideration of at least making things better in this area (by re-designing menus).

This opened the way for me to offer the suggestion of including a WASD toggle button on the bottom of the screen... which I believe would be a simple and effective solution.

So-- the Firestorm team responded to my missive, response was friendly and adequate, and I retract my previous rant. Squeaky wheel got the grease. I hope this eventually leads to a far easier way to implement WASD movement in our viewers. : )

Two paw-thumbs up to Firestorm on today's response to this issue. :P
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerChris NamasteKoshari Mahana
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~