How do we donate avatars?

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Dot Matrix

Re: How do we donate avatars?

Post by Dot Matrix »

Chris, I'd personally aim for adult men and women in smart casual clothes. Maybe nice jeans for both?
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Chris NamasteAda RadiusAlexina Proctor
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Having a variety of ages could help but, again, the IP rights have to be respected without any inkling of doubt.

To be clear, contributions that go in the Kitely Welcome Center need to have underwear as part of their skin texture, as explained in the Maturity Ratings Guidelines I linked to previously. This is true for any humanoid, regardless of age or gender.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Snoots DwagonAda RadiusAlexina Proctor
Chris Namaste

Post by Chris Namaste »

yes, pg (is why i add pg all the time) to be sure thats what i would make :)

please :
children or not?
yes casual Dot, tshirt & jeans indeed, fits always :)
:arrow: (going to bed irl now)
These users thanked the author Chris Namaste for the post:
Ada Radius
Chris CreationZ url kitely market : https://www.kitely.com/market?store=914 ... &sort=date
Because ultimately we are not the avatars we create. We are not the pictures on the film stock. We are the light that shines through.Jim Carrey
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Teens are okay for this but not young kids. We don't want to send the wrong message as to who this is intended for. We have some schools using Kitely but anyone wanting to use younger kid avatars (in accordance to our TOS) will need to find avatars from Kitely Market or elsewhere.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 4):
Snoots DwagonChris NamasteAda RadiusAlexina Proctor
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Unless someone wants an avatar that is a .5m² plywood box, then I'm probably not of much use in this initiative, though I wholeheartedly applaud it!

This site might be of some interest to anyone who hasn't seen it yet, maybe...
http://www.makehumancommunity.org/

MakeHuman avatars now public domain
MakeHuman, a free, open source software project that creates mesh avatars, has switched to the least restrictive license possible for the avatars created with its product. Content created with the software is licensed as CC0, which means that it can use used in any way, including commercial.
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 2):
Ada RadiusAlexina Proctor
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Hey, don't knock plywood boxes. I've made avatars that were cardboard robots, stone and uh... well, there was Poo Guy... :twisted:

That was years ago. I've matured a bit since then. Right? Right?
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 2):
Ada RadiusAlexina Proctor
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:25 pm
To accommodate people's schedules, let's aim for the end of the month for the first batch of donations. We'll then see how many contributions we've gotten and decide on next steps accordingly.
Perhaps a guideline of how to submit, to whom, etc. That would help us know the steps involved. : )

A few ideas just in general:

1) One of the important aspects of a good-looking avatar is skins and hair. We've seen too many pasty-looking or severe-makeup skins.

2) Standard clothing is fine, but shirts and jeans, while popular, might be supplemented with other themes.

3) Speaking of themed avatars... as suggested by the weefolk-style Dwagons, it might be beneficial to offer alternatives to standard human. Some users would love to see a quality-built robot avatar, futuristic clothing, Elven, Orc, etc etc. I'm sure our creators out there could come up with some rather awesome stuff. Nothing says "interesting grid" like quality variety. :mrgreen:

But Kitely is going to need to get the word out that it's looking for creators to donate avatars. I doubt that discussions in these forums is going to reach the majority of Kitely creators. This project is going to need grid-wide promotion (which is not my field of expertise on Kitely). 8-)

These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 4):
Shandon LoringEdgarAllan PoeAda RadiusAlexina Proctor
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
EdgarAllan Poe

Post by EdgarAllan Poe »

Snoots Dwagon wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:34 pm
3) Speaking of themed avatars... as suggested by the weefolk-style Dwagons, it might be beneficial to offer alternatives to standard human. Some users would love to see a quality-built robot avatar, futuristic clothing, Elven, Orc, etc etc. I'm sure our creators out there could come up with some rather awesome stuff. Nothing says "interesting grid" like quality variety.
Yes please.
A nice Raven avatar maybe. 8-)
These users thanked the author EdgarAllan Poe for the post:
Ada Radius
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Could I suggest focusing on good base avatars (human and other) that users can then dress/style as they wish for particular themes? After all, themed clothing is already provided on quite a few worlds (e.g. Coopersville, Wellspring, Avatari, ...)

There's a limited number of slots available in the Welcome Center avatar kiosk -- say 12 altogether.

The avatars need to reflect different skin tones; male, female, other; different ages; human and other (including weefolk, robots).

Could I add "Shape" to "Skins and Hair" as essentials? True story: I bought a shape and skin from Kitely Market (from different merchants) and people who are usually very picky about avatars thought it was a new mesh one rather than a standard system one.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 5):
Ilan TochnerSnoots DwagonChris NamasteAda RadiusAlexina Proctor
Zed deTremont

Post by Zed deTremont »

I'm afraid I'm of no big use in this discussion. To make a human body till there OK, but then I'm afraid it stops for me. I have no clue about the huds that are required etc etc, scripting is something that I never really looked into. Although there is another aspect to the making of a mesh avatar. If people want to create clothing for those avatars then a full rigged dev-kit will be needed too.