How do we donate avatars?

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Chris Namaste

Re: How do we donate avatars?

Post by Chris Namaste »

Teens are okay for this but not young kids. We don't want to send the wrong message as to who this is intended for. We have some schools using Kitely but anyone wanting to use younger kid avatars (in accordance to our TOS) will need to find avatars from Kitely Market or elsewhere.

yes ilan,that was the idea (i didnt explain it good),
i ll see all i have & can make,its upto you & owen to decide which will be fine of all volunteers who wiwll help out :)
i donno anymore what i ll do lol
anyway :) ;)
These users thanked the author Chris Namaste for the post (total 3):
Dot MatrixAda RadiusAlexina Proctor
Chris CreationZ url kitely market : https://www.kitely.com/market?store=914 ... &sort=date
Because ultimately we are not the avatars we create. We are not the pictures on the film stock. We are the light that shines through.Jim Carrey
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Thanks, Chris. :-)

In an earlier post to this thread I said there would be 12 slots for avatars in the revised kiosk, four panels with room for three avatars on each. The avatars need to reflect different skin tones; male, female, other; different ages; human and other (including weefolk, robots).

What about aiming for the following?

Three adult female
• Dark skin tone
• Medium skin tone
• Light skin tone

Three adult male
• Dark skin tone
• Medium skin tone
• Light skin tone

Three more human avatars
• Non-gendered adult
• Teenage boy
• Teenage girl

Non-humanoid avatars
• Robot -- what about Oni Kenkon's, tweaked?
• Weefolk from Ada?
• Dwagon from Snoots?

[Edited to correct a misspelt name]
Last edited by Dot Matrix on Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Chris NamasteIlan TochnerRamesh Ramloll
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:46 pm
To be clear, contributions that go in the Kitely Welcome Center need to have underwear as part of their skin texture, as explained in the Maturity Ratings Guidelines I linked to previously. This is true for any humanoid, regardless of age or gender.

I don't disagree with this decision, but would like to mention an alternate concept. Barbie and Ken dolls have been around for decades, and are intended for enjoyment primarily by children. They are considered "family friendly". They don't have baked-on underwear; they are totally "nude". However, they aren't anatomically correct, don't have any textures or anything to indicate gender except for their basic body shape.

Same could hold true for freebie avatars. Any underwear directly-baked onto the skins is arguably unnecessary... and could interfere with a lot of the clothing available on Kitely Market. I would suggest simply skins with no details. Nipples on males might considered acceptable (but not on females) so that they can wear swim trunks. Absolutely no genital texturing (no pubes, "subtle" shading, etc). I don't see why anyone would object to such a concept.

I know if I were a clothing merchant (I'm not)... I would surely appreciate such consideration.
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Dot Matrix wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:26 pm
• Robot -- what about Oni Kenyon's, tweaked?
Does anyone have a photo of this robot that we could see?
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Snoots,

As the avatars we give out in Kitely Welcome Center need to be culturally appropriate for a wide range of cultures under a wide range of usage scnarios, the barbie/ken doll approach wouldn't suffice. These avatars are starter avatars that are family friendly and should be made suitable for school and work scenarios. People who want more flexibility in clothing compatibility will need to get different, or less restrictive, avatars from other locations.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Snoots DwagonAda RadiusAlexina Proctor
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

RezMela Apps's main avatar is a recoloured version of Oni Kenkon's robot (sorry, I misspelt the name before).
Robot.png
Robot.png (284.5 KiB) Viewed 3642 times
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerAda RadiusSnoots DwagonAlexina Proctor
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

TY Dot!
I'm not ready to donate a Chompy - I'm still finding issues that I 'think' are quirks of Bakes on Mesh but might be a combination of BoM and an edited (wee sized, in this case) armature. Attachment points going nuts, BoM links breaking if they get breathed on wrong, weird slambit silent fails (no * warning). All fixable so far, once I know they're there, but require delivering upgrades when I find them. When it's working it's vy vy cool, so worth working on.

ty ty Ilan and Oren for making upgrade deliveries from KM so seamless.

But I've been thinking about a freebie weebot - much simpler rigging and vertex weighting. I'll know if that's a good idea in a few days. Is there an interest in giants? They're fun too. We also need High Elven, Fae, Drow, and Furries. To attract some of the big SL and former Inworldz and Avination communities who might figure out that Kitely land here is a whole lot cheaper with great tech and community support, but are afraid of abandoning their avatar inventories.

Is there a reason for a limitation on numbers of free avatars? About three dozen should do it to cover ethnicities, clothing needs including business wear, educators, and religious requirements such as sharia and tzniut modesty guidelines. And creature communities. This will take time, but worth doing.
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerChris NamasteAlexina Proctor
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ada,

The reason has to do with the existing space in the Avatar area in Kitely Welcome Center, but we'll see if we can increase that if there are enough good avatar contributions to justify doing so.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Ada RadiusAlexina Proctor
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

It might be possible to increase the number to 32...
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Ada RadiusChris NamasteAlexina Proctor
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

"We also need High Elven, Fae, Drow, and Furries."

Yes, Elven, Fae and drow are very popular avatars. I'm trying to get permission from a good friend at this time to use a good-quality ORC avatar that he created. I think he'll grant it.

And yes as Dot says, I think a lot more avatars can be displayed... either by making the signs smaller or the kiosk larger. We have the technology. :mrgreen:
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 2):
Ada RadiusAlexina Proctor
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~