I'm involved in the Mars Landing tomorrow!

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Snoots Dwagon

I'm involved in the Mars Landing tomorrow!

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Tomorrow, Thurs Feb 18 2021, the Mars Perseverance Lander will (hopefully) place a new Rover on Mars... the most advanced yet. More than a year ago I signed up to be part of this mission (along with about a zillion other people). I registered on the official NASA website and they sent me a Boarding Pass with my name and unique passenger registration number. When the Rover lands tomorrow, it will contain a silicon chip that... among others... will contain my name. Yup that's right, my RL name will be on the Mars Rover! Wooohooo!

Now, anyone who has any lingering doubts about this need only view the following photo for verification:
Attachments
Snoots wearing protective gear at NASA Laboratories
Snoots wearing protective gear at NASA Laboratories
Snoots at Rover Lab.jpg (431.42 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
Last edited by Snoots Dwagon on Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 9):
Ilan TochnerRezMela AppsJohn MelaZed deTremontAlexina ProctorAda RadiusChris NamastePrax MaryjaszSelby Evans
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
John Mela

Re: I'm involved in the Mars Landing tomorrow!

Post by John Mela »

I'll be following very carefully your name's descent to the Martian surface, Snoots, and hoping it all goes well for you (and for NASA and humanity itself).
These users thanked the author John Mela for the post (total 4):
Snoots DwagonAlexina ProctorAda RadiusPrax Maryjasz
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

The MARS PERSEVERANCE ROVER mission begins its landing this afternoon. It is going to be a bit tense, as there is a 7-minute period during the decent that NASA will be completely out of touch with the landing package, relying totally on automated systems to make the controlled descent, pick the correct landing spot, set the rover package down carefully, then blast off away from the landing site. Mars isn't like the Moon. It is far enough away that it takes the "Landed safely!" signals several minutes to return to Earth. NASA cannot control the landing, nor will know if it was successful until 11 minutes after it has happened (or something like that. I haven't studied all the deep science. I'm just in the cheering section.) I know this is geeky... but NASA has gone out of its way to include the public in this landing and their PR department has done an excellent job doing so. So the excitement among those who look to the future in these perilous times is high.

Many people wonder about the amount of money spent on this "useless" project... but you would not believe the profitable results of NASA space missions over the past decades. The entire computer industry was a direct result of NASA, not to mention Teflon, advanced ceramics, medical strides, and far more. As one interview put it: 'Nothing in the history of U.S. business has been as ultimately profitable to the world at large than the space program of NASA.'

Here is a name-edited copy of my Mars Boarding Pass, issued officially by NASA. As mentioned above, my name is on a silicon chip aboard the MARS Rover. If anyone here would like to join the 2026 mission, you can do so here. Just imagine the frequent flyer miles!

https://mars.nasa.gov/participate/send-your-name/future
Attachments
Snoots Dwagon user's personal Mars Boarding Pass
Snoots Dwagon user's personal Mars Boarding Pass
Mars Boarding Pass 2021.jpg (109.96 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
Last edited by Snoots Dwagon on Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 2):
Alexina ProctorPrax Maryjasz
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

I am pleased to announce that the Perseverance Rover landed safely on Mars appx 1pm Kitely Time. There was great applause at NASA. While the information we received happened 11 minutes prior (due to the distance from Mars), the feed from NASA was live... and a very emotional moment as years of planning achieved success.

One setback: NASA had planned to send the Rover to Mars totally life-free, so as not to contaminate the environment. However, early photos returned from the Rover indicated an unexpected development: a stowaway aboard the robotic rover.
Attachments
Snoots on Mars.jpg
Snoots on Mars.jpg (506.13 KiB) Viewed 2591 times
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Krull Kitty

Post by Krull Kitty »

There is never a Snoots Dwagon around in world when I'm looking for one :P
These users thanked the author Krull Kitty for the post:
Snoots Dwagon