Having problems

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Snoots Dwagon

Having problems

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Seem to have been having problems with Kitely all day. Have had to relog numerous times. I've cleared both my cache and inventory cache 3 times today. Had trouble logging in and not having access to some inventory items. Been unable to access some scripts in devices. Had trouble updating a notecard in a sign. Once none of my avatar scripts worked. Any suggestions?
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 2):
Ada RadiusAlexina Proctor
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Ada Radius

Re: Having problems

Post by Ada Radius »

Me too, on a different world than Snoots. This morning, no problems. This afternoon, I was getting a false error message that there was no script in the object I had selected (I was trying to reset a simple hover text script) and I couldn't update notecards in an object.

I don't know if this is related - I'm trying on various LK clothing items to see what they look like, and ya some of them are old. Anything with the old style avatar icon is not rezzing onto my avatar. No longer recognized by the viewer? Texture gone?
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 2):
Alexina ProctorSnoots Dwagon
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

We'll check our logs but CPU and network load on all our servers was low during the times you reported so this will require investigation.

Are these problems still ongoing?
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

I haven't noticed the problems today Ilan. I find it very interesting Ada experienced similar problems on another grid on the same day I was having these problems on Kitely (coincidence? Possibly)... but also on her island on Kitely as well. So this makes me curious: are Opensim grids connected in some way (such as the Hypergrid) in which if that connection malfunctioned could cause such odd problems across multiple grids?

Just curious. Is a dwagon habit / vice. :mrgreen:
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Snoots,

OpenSim grids can't share servers or internet connections unless they happen to be hosted in the same data center. Kitely places no more than 4 worlds per server (depending on their world type) so most active Kitely worlds don't even share the same server (but they do run in the same Amazon Web Services datacenter).

As a result, the more likely explanation for multiple grids suffering from similar transient problems at the same time is that your ISP, or your connection to it, is having networking problems (such as high load). If multiple people are having similar problems when accessing different grids that aren't hosted at the same place then it's likely that there is a regional network congestion problem (which can happen during holidays or when certain real-world events take place).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Snoots Dwagon
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Now that you mention it Ilan, the problems we were having do bear the earmark of Internet packet transfer failure. I didn't notice it elsewhere... but over the years have learned that if the Internet itself is having problems, virtual worlds is where it is likely to be noticed the most. :mrgreen:

There's a location one can go which shows how the Internet as a whole is operating (I lost the link some time ago), but it showed a grid of boxes that would be red, yellow or green depending on the health of the hubs across the Net. And sure enough when a virtual world would be having major problems it was one of two things: the asset server glitching... or that Internet tracking site would show red boxes all over the place.

One of them is located here, but it's not nearly as extensive as the large matrix map I used to use on another site:

http://www.internettrafficreport.com/namerica.htm
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~