kITELY USING HIGH FIDELITY CODE?

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Gusher Castaignede

kITELY USING HIGH FIDELITY CODE?

Post by Gusher Castaignede »

I read an article about Kitely's side project using, planning to launch a new grid based on High Fidelity’s open-source software? True? If so, we need better support in 3d file formats, specificly fbx or glTF 2.0 ... that would improve the workflow greatly, particularly animators..
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Ilan Tochner

Re: kITELY USING HIGH FIDELITY CODE?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Gusher,

We were working on a High Fidelity based platform (working on top of our own backend services) up until a few years ago. We decided to stop developing it a few months after High Fidelity abounded their VR platform efforts because it became apparent that we lacked the R&D resources to continue developing the missing features that we deemed to be crucial for a commercial offering. Some of what we developed for that project later became the basis of our OpenSim-based Organizations offering.
Gusher Castaignede

That's unfortunate, but do see Trivoli taking on that challenge...
Ilan Tochner wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:09 am
Hi Gusher,

We were working on a High Fidelity based platform (working on top of our own backend services) up until a few years ago. We decided to stop developing it a few months after High Fidelity abounded their VR platform efforts because it became apparent that we lacked the R&D resources to continue developing the missing features that we deemed to be crucial for a commercial offering. Some of what we developed for that project later became the basis of our OpenSim-based Organizations offering.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Prior to us discontinuing work on that project, we had a closed beta with 3 universities and found that there were simply too many remaining issues for us to consider it marketable. The operating costs were also a lot higher than running OpenSim. That code base could be made viable with enough effort but it would require a lot of work to even reach parity with what other systems already provide.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Gusher Castaignede

What about GODOT opensource, I see alot of noise over there, IMVU has been paying, funding engineers over there to create an inhouse FBX plugin exclusive for GODOT only.... they recently recieved $100,000 donation from OP Games... because it's opensourse could be a ripe opportunity to look into it for a modernized future option. I've seen the dozens and dozens of opensource plugins for it, the water, terrain, and sky plugins are just incredible jaw dropping.... [youtube]https://youtu.be/DZRdwaknYfk[/youtube]
Last edited by Gusher Castaignede on Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Gusher,

Godot is a good open source game engine but that isn't enough for creating an OpenSim-compatible viewer. There is a lot of work that would be required to duplicate even just the important features that exist in SL-derived viewers such as Firestorm. That work would require a long term commitment by multiple developers working full time on building that new viewer. Without that we'd wind up with no more than partial proofs of concept projects that various OpenSim users have developed using other codebases.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:21 pm
but that isn't enough for creating an OpenSim-compatible viewer.
If we're talking about a new viewer, there are at least two independent projects going on.
One is Dayturn of course. I don't know much about it and I haven't been able to find a place to download the Windows version so I can't try it myself but the chief developer should have more than enough experience to make it credible.
The other is a Vulkan based viewer a friend of mine, who definitely has enough experience to make it credible, is working on. It's still in an early stage of development but what I've seen so far is very promising indeed.

However, any new viewer faces a dilemma. Although there is lots of room for improvements under the hood, the clumsy, poorly designed and outdated user interface is probably one of the main reasons why SL and opensim struggle to attract new users. The dilemma is that existing users (and developers) are familiar with the UI and all its quirks so they're not likely to take drastic changes very well yet drastic changes is what is needed to improve the newcomer retention rate.
Another problem is of course that designing a new user friendly UI would be a huge undertaking.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post (total 3):
Gusher CastaignedeIlan TochnerSelby Evans
Gusher Castaignede

You mentioned Vulkan based viewer, I wonder if your referring to Vulkan render engine? There's a modern opensource engine that supports vulkan... https://wickedengine.net/ ... maybe opensim can be modified to support these...
These users thanked the author Gusher Castaignede for the post:
Tess Juel
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Gusher Castaignede wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:39 am
You mentioned Vulkan based viewer, I wonder if your referring to Vulkan render engine?
That's right.
Gusher Castaignede wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:39 am
There's a modern opensource engine that supports vulkan... https://wickedengine.net/ ... maybe opensim can be modified to support these...
Maybe but I can't imagine it will be easier than doing the same with High Fidelity, Godot or Unity.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Gusher Castaignede

Does your friend have a project website for his Vulkan based viewer?