facebook Meta ads

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Kimm Starr

facebook Meta ads

Post by Kimm Starr »

So, been seeing a lot of facebook Meta ads for their future Metaverse. I was surprised at how many people never heard of 3D interactive worlds but think the concept sounds cool. So I've been dropping a little info of my own on them and think maybe we all should, to try to drive more people to Kitely. This is an example of what I've been dropping on the posts.

The metaverse has been around for nearly 20 years. Kitely being just one of several 3d interactive worlds that exist now. No need to wait 10 to 15 years. You can own your own 3d world, open a store and sell 3d products, create your own avatar that looks like you, and interact with people right now.

Worth a shot.
These users thanked the author Kimm Starr for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerTess JuelChris NamasteShandon Loring
I'm obsessed with Animesh and soon you will be too!
Alexander Aurichio

Re: facebook Meta ads

Post by Alexander Aurichio »

Hi Kimm,
You're absolutely correct. I see the same thing. Everything old is new again. It's like the last 20 years of virtual world development never happened because Mark Zuckerberg just became aware of it as a market to buy and exploit. I've been building and selling in SL since 2007 and Open Sim since 2019. What we really need is full VR support and a reliable VR viewer. That would really bring Open Sim up to date with current technology.
These users thanked the author Alexander Aurichio for the post:
Kimm Starr
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Alexander,

There is already a VR version of Firestorm that you can use with Kitely. see: https://blog.inf.ed.ac.uk/atate/2020/12 ... od-6-4-12/
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Alexander AurichioKimm Starr
Gusher Castaignede

Post by Gusher Castaignede »

Of all virtual worlds out there right now OPENSIM is the most accessible because it doesn't require a supercomputer to run on and the binaries and source are available to configure anyway you want. The default standard...
These users thanked the author Gusher Castaignede for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerTess JuelAlexander Aurichio
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Alexander Aurichio wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:14 pm
Hi Kimm,
You're absolutely correct. I see the same thing. Everything old is new again. It's like the last 20 years of virtual world development never happened because Mark Zuckerberg just became aware of it as a market to buy and exploit. I've been building and selling in SL since 2007 and Open Sim since 2019. What we really need is full VR support and a reliable VR viewer. That would really bring Open Sim up to date with current technology.
To be fair, do you remember Worlds Chat or Active Worlds or There.com? Second Life was hardly the first virtual world open to the public you know.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post (total 2):
Gusher CastaignedeAlexander Aurichio
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Gusher Castaignede wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:00 am
and the binaries and source are available to configure anyway you want.
I'd say opensim is the only virtual reality that can even be called a metaverse because of this. A metaverse can not be controlled by a single commercial actor, it has to be decentralised like the internet.

What makes me sad and worried though is that all the good people who do develop the source code don't cooperate. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a dozen or more active(ish) and not-quite-dead forks by now and each is maintained by one or two developers working in splendid isolation.
I do not think there should be one single distribution; the variety of software options is one of opensim's strengths. But I wish the various developers and developer teams would respect and support each other rather than compete. They would all gain from that - We would all gain from that.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerGusher CastaignedeAlexander AurichioAda Radius
Alexander Aurichio

Post by Alexander Aurichio »

do you remember Worlds Chat or Active Worlds or There.com? Second Life was hardly the first virtual world open to the public
I was a beta tester on Air Warrior for Mac in 1998 and then worked as a flight instructor and game moderator when it went live on AOL in 2000. I'm no stranger to early multiplayer virtual game environments.

I'm looking for people who want to collaborate on a VR OpenSim NFT world, where creators can build, test, live, work, play, share and sell their wares in world and on kitely across multiple platforms. ReadyPlayerMe had great success with a kickstarter campaign, so that may be the way to go, I think.
These users thanked the author Alexander Aurichio for the post:
Kimm Starr