building my avatar on LAN and getting to other worlds

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Linda Heller
Has thanked: 0

building my avatar on LAN and getting to other worlds

Post by Linda Heller »

Total noob in opengrid, be gentle with me please ;)

I wanted to try with an avatar for sort of therapy. I also want to make models of some ancient sites. The first is pretty much on my own, but it would be nice to be able to share the models, think something like Stonehenge but where you can walk around it.

I don't understand what I need to look for in Kitely store to be able to move the avatar, clothes, textures etc from one world to another. I have set up an opensim server on my LAN unconnected to the grid, and it works fine with Firestorm. I have been able to import IARs and OARs from Linda Kellie's site and it works, but you need control of the server.

Question is, if I buy something from Kitely, can I import it into this standalone site? How would I take it into a hypergrid site, and what sort of permissions do i need to screen for? I'm not prepared to pay a subscription for anything, particularly virtual land, which is why I set up my local server ;), but I am perfectly happy to pay for one-offs like avatars and accessoires, and I'd be prepared to pay more not to be locked into one world.

I don't know how to build a model at this stage, but I have some experience of POVray and blender. How would I copy this model to say an opengrid world once I had built it locally? It's easy with control of my own server backend.

Finally, is it possible to take say an avatar and a building from standalone into SL? Sure there's the virtual land problem, but is it possible or would i have to start from the get go or from blender files again?
These users thanked the author Linda Heller for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: building my avatar on LAN and getting to other worlds

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Linda,

You don't need to have a Kitely subscription to buy from Kitely Market and you can buy items and have them delivered to an avatar from your own grid, see: https://kitely.atlassian.net/wiki/space ... ther+Grids

You need to look for content that is listed in Kitely Market with the Export permission, see: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... plemented/

Content that you can upload from your own computer via the viewer into OpenSim you can also upload into Second Life. The question is whether the license you got that content with permits it. Also, while OpenSim supports the Hypergrid and enables easy transfer of virtual goods from one grid to another. Second Life doesn't enable you to teleport to or from other grids. Therefore content you buy in Kitely won't be easily transferable to Second Life.
Linda Heller
Has thanked: 0

Post by Linda Heller »

Thank you, that gives much to think about. From those docs it seems like I could join the hypergrid firewalled only to *.kitely.com to at least try and keep the LAN sandbox a safe space, which should let me take the purchased avatar back out on to the hypergrid at some stage.

Didn't realise it was the servers that exchange the inventory assets, I'd assumed it was the viewer. The fact you can use different viewers with the same content should have clued me in to that.

Sounds like avatar stuff won't go to SL, which is OK now I know. Pointers much appreciated.
These users thanked the author Linda Heller for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

This may also come in handy if you don't wish to open your grid to the Hypergrid: https://kitely.atlassian.net/wiki/space ... grid+Grids