Can I mint and sell parcels as NFT?

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Alexander Aurichio

Can I mint and sell parcels as NFT?

Post by Alexander Aurichio »

I'm very interested in NFT land and I'm curious if this is something that can be done off the shelf with Kitely sims? I would probably want to start with a 4x4 and create a city grid, with public land connecting 512 sqm parcels that can be minted and sold as NFT for cryptocurrency. I recently went to the Open Sim conference where it was discussed. I have some cool ideas and I'd love to get in on the ground floor, if it's possible. Thanks!
These users thanked the author Alexander Aurichio for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Can I mint and sell parcels as NFT?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Alexander,

Kitely doesn't integrate with any blockchain technologies but you can create NFTs for just about anything using various third-party solutions. If you use a system that includes a web-based API then you should be able to create an OpenSim script to integrate with land sales in your Kitely worlds.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Alexander Aurichio
Alexander Aurichio

Okay, good to know. I just wanted to make sure it was allowed and not a violation of TOS or anything. I'm still working on the concept. Thanks!
Gusher Castaignede

Post by Gusher Castaignede »

NFT is not secure and tamperable... see it more like a pyramid scheme.. the work of artists are being stolen, minted with NFT...
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Alexander Aurichio

Everyone has an opinion about NFTs. Bottom line is, more than 2 billion $ was invested in them in 2021. You can dismiss it, or maybe get rich creating it.
The Sandbox https://www.sandbox.game/en/
Decentraland https://decentraland.org/

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... s-1267740/
Gusher Castaignede

Post by Gusher Castaignede »

Will keep all my store items off NFT minted sims... I hope Ilan Tochner looks at that very carefully and creates a policy/terms regarding that... otherwise we will just turn off export and just keep all at kitely...
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Gusher,

I'm personally not a fan of NFTs as a way to manage content ownership and have gone or record about it in the past: https://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2017/ ... tificates/

That said, there are law-abiding Kitely users who sell NFTs for their own creations using third-party websites. As those NFTs are created and traded on third-party system there isn't much we could do about it even if we thought that we should (as a general rule we don't try to force our beliefs on the people who use our services).

What we do require from people who use our system is to respect other people's Intellectual Property when they do so. See: viewtopic.php?t=5232
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 6):
Gusher CastaignedeAda RadiusStory LinkShandon LoringVeritas McMasterChris Namaste
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:46 am
I'm personally not a fan of NFTs as a way to manage content ownership and have gone or record about it in the past.
What I don't like about NFTs is that it's all a scam in the sense that they are foisted off as unique, non-reproducable works of art or - more commonly - "art".

Here's wikipedia's definition with a crucial point emphasized:
A non-fungible token (NFT) is a unique and non-interchangeable unit of data stored on a blockchain, a form of digital ledger.[1] NFTs can be associated with reproducible digital files such as photos, videos, and audio. NFTs use a digital ledger to provide a public certificate of authenticity or proof of ownership, but do not restrict the sharing or copying of the underlying digital files. The lack of interchangeability (fungibility) distinguishes NFTs from blockchain cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin.
Blockchain authentication makes sense with cryptocurrency because the authentication is the item, it won't work without. Not so with NFTs. The digital item itself is perfectly fungible, it's just the attached authentication code that isn't. You can strip that code and it still works just the same. There are even websites out there that specializes in selling such "copybotted" NFTs. And if you really want to brag about how much money you wasted on a piece of digital trash, just make your own fancy looking authentication code and attach to it.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerGusher CastaignedeSelby EvansAda Radius
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

I am learning about NFTs and for sure they're "weird", but they seem pretty exciting too, as are many things in this digital century! Lol

forgive my naïveté, but it sounds like there's several people here who understand NFTs quite well, so let me ask a scenario question if you will…

say I went to a really nice expensive fancy dinner with a couple of very close friends, we had a great time, a night to remember! And so I keep the receipt for that meal, maybe i even put it in a small frame in office. And again, forgive my simplicity and or naïveté, lol… But is possessing that receipt similar to the concept of owning an NFT?

thx y'all
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Shandon,

The receipt itself is physical and non trivial to perfectly duplicate (a photocopy would be different enough, at least emotionally, to be considered a different object).

NFTs, on the other hand, only state ownership of some digital property that is often trivial to copy. That is you don't need the NFT to enjoy it. The NFT is just a claim in some system that you or others may or may not respect that states that so and so owns that content. There may be multiple different NFTs all making the same claim to the same content and people can decide to just use the content without checking any of these NFTs.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Gusher CastaignedeShandon Loring