Future SceneGate 2.0

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Gusher Castaignede

Future SceneGate 2.0

Post by Gusher Castaignede »

....what you know about this new opensim viewer?
These users thanked the author Gusher Castaignede for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerChristine NynKimm Starr
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Christine Nyn

Re: Future SceneGate 2.0

Post by Christine Nyn »

Some interesting stuff there but essentially it's about playing with development concepts and trying to see what is viable. The thought behind it seems to be trying to bridge the current gap between what gaming engines are capable of in terms of detailing, quick response and sound capabilities and the level of response a VR viewer can deliver.

The approach being used rather presupposes that computers in general are becoming, or will need to become, capable of much more intense and demanding processing than is currently asked of them in VR. Just introducing an API between the graphics processor of choice and the raw input adds a layer we don't currently have and hence more overheads. The reluctance to engage with the questions about usability on cell phones demonstrates very clearly that they are aware that their approach is increasing the processing demand rather than optimising it.

Still, it's nice to know that people are working on improving the VR experience for us all.
These users thanked the author Christine Nyn for the post (total 2):
Gusher CastaignedeGraham Mills
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Not an expert and obviously early days but doesn't it replace the current rendering engine with a (potentially at least) more feature-rich, better engineered one rather than simply add another layer? Can't speak to usability (and quite likely they hadn't the info to hand) but the feature set appears to include export to iOS and Android. Obviously this could be a protracted development program but, like you, I wish them well.

https://godotengine.org/features
Christine Nyn wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:41 pm
Some interesting stuff there but essentially it's about playing with development concepts and trying to see what is viable. The thought behind it seems to be trying to bridge the current gap between what gaming engines are capable of in terms of detailing, quick response and sound capabilities and the level of response a VR viewer can deliver.

The approach being used rather presupposes that computers in general are becoming, or will need to become, capable of much more intense and demanding processing than is currently asked of them in VR. Just introducing an API between the graphics processor of choice and the raw input adds a layer we don't currently have and hence more overheads. The reluctance to engage with the questions about usability on cell phones demonstrates very clearly that they are aware that their approach is increasing the processing demand rather than optimising it.

Still, it's nice to know that people are working on improving the VR experience for us all.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Gusher Castaignede

Why Godot Engine link?
Graham Mills wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:03 pm
Not an expert and obviously early days but doesn't it replace the current rendering engine with a (potentially at least) more feature-rich, better engineered one rather than simply add another layer? Can't speak to usability (and quite likely they hadn't the info to hand) but the feature set appears to include export to iOS and Android. Obviously this could be a protracted development program but, like you, I wish them well.

https://godotengine.org/features
Christine Nyn wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:41 pm

Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Because it's based on the Godot engine which was new to me and I thought others might be interested.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Gusher Castaignede

Oh I see, then yes... GODOT 4.0 is what they are after... Vulkan render engine..
Graham Mills wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:54 pm
Because it's based on the Godot engine which was new to me and I thought others might be interested.
These users thanked the author Gusher Castaignede for the post:
Graham Mills