Larger than a 4x4

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Scurvy Ragu 2
Has thanked: 0

Larger than a 4x4

Post by Scurvy Ragu 2 »

Is there any chance there will be something larger than a 4x4? Cause an 8x8 is way too expensive. or combine 2 4x4's?
These users thanked the author Scurvy Ragu 2 for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Larger than a 4x4

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Scurvy,

Our prices are based on the amount of server resources we allocate to the world. An Advanced world already takes up a minimum of 50% of the shared server it is hosted on (which can grow when that world becomes crowded), while a Dedicated Server world takes up the entire world and is kept always on. We offered entire servers on demand for a period of time, and people who have grandfathered Mega Worlds still have them, but we don't plan on offering this option again in the foreseeable future unless enough existing world owners let us know they'd get a Mega World if it was made available again.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Shandon Loring
Scurvy Ragu 2

Post by Scurvy Ragu 2 »

Many cannot afford your largest region but if u had something bigger than a 4x4 that would be great. Or even join 2 4x4s side by side
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Keeping two worlds active for a single person inside them would change the financials of how our on-demand pricing is calculated. That's partially why a Mega World which got an entire dedicated server while it was active cost more than twice what we charge for two Advanced Worlds that each got at least 50% of a server's resources while they were active.

While your desire is clear and legitimate it won't make financial sense for us to offer that option. We'd lose more money from doing so than we'd gain, not to mention the additional R&D costs we'd incur for adding support for the option you requested.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Shandon Loring
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Hi Scurvy,
Not what you're looking for I know, but..
But might it work for you to have two separate 4x4's with a wall at the edge of each that TPs you to the corresponding point on the other world?
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerGraham MillsSelby Evans
Scurvy Ragu 2

Post by Scurvy Ragu 2 »

That wont work for me. I need a larger area than what i have now.And an 8x8 i cant afford
Scurvy Ragu 2

Post by Scurvy Ragu 2 »

Im sure that many ppl would be interested in a 5x5 or a 6x6 than a 8x8
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

It's a matter of cost Scurvy, it needs to make financial sense for us to offer that option and a bigger world requires more server resources and takes longer to start. That's why we replaced the Mega World on-demand option with a Dedicated Server world option that is always on.

Big worlds require a lot of content and script optimizations for them to start up at an acceptable amount of time. That's the main reason why most people who originally got a Mega World opted to upgrade to a Dedicated Server world once we began offering that option.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Scurvy, would it work if you shared an 8x8 with others who also need a large area?

It's possible to "sell" land on 8x8s (and on 4x4s, but that's not relevant here) to others, so you could share the costs.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerSelby EvansChris Namaste
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I occasionally rent an 8x8 for a few days at the end of the month and just pay for the days I use it. In principle you could develop on a smaller scale and port content incrementally. I appreciate that might not be enough for you but as a compromise solution it works for me.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Dot Matrix