Desktop PC Advice Needed

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Koshari Mahana

Desktop PC Advice Needed

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Hi all,

I haven't purchased a pre-built computer since 1995. lol I've always upgraded as needed, replacing graphics cards, ram, motherboards, processors, power supplies, cases etc... one or two at a time. My partner always did the work for me. He died 4 years ago and it's really past time for me to upgrade. Most of my current hardware is 6+ years old. I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy pre-built "off the shelf" now because I don't know how to do anything other than change the ram and clean the PC. Almost everything I have now is out of date. I don't even think my case is good enough for newer components. I should note that I'm not currently having any problems with my PC but I know it's only a matter of time. I can't install Windows 11 because it says my processor isn't good enough. My graphics card is out of date too.

I can't afford top-of-the-line for sure but I want something that works well enough for virtual worlds. I still want the option to upgrade components as needed even if I have to figure out how to do it myself. I need for it to work with Windows operating system though. I hope I can find something for around $800 USD or less. Is that unrealistic?

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Here is what I have now (you can see it's outdated):
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz
Installed RAM: 24.0 GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition: Windows 10 Home
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate
I don't know what power supply I have
These users thanked the author Koshari Mahana for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerDee Ferry 2Chris NamasteGraham Mills
VISIT FOUR WINDS ON THE MARKET
VISIT FOUR WINDS INWORLD: hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Coopersville/909/907/21
Ilan Tochner

Re: Desktop PC Advice Needed

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Koshari,

Due to the ongoing chip shortage I doubt you can get a good computer that will be better than what you have now for just $800. Looking at what you've posted it looks like you'll get the most impact from switching to a good m2 SSD (which your motherboard doesn't support according to online specs) and getting a new graphics card (which your existing computer could also run assuming you have a good power supply).

If your budget is set I'd recommend focusing on buying a new graphics card and, if needed, a new power supply to support it. You won't be able to run Windows 11, but Windows 10 should remain actively supported for quite a few more years. I personally don't think there is sufficient reason to upgrade to Windows 11 if it requires you to buy a new computer while your existing one still works.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 5):
Dee Ferry 2Chris NamasteGraham MillsBreila JenvieveKoshari Mahana
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Thanks so much, Ilan! I really appreciate the time you've spent helping me with this.

I just checked and my power supply is Corsair HX1000 (Looking with a flashlight into my case, that's what it appears to say anyway). If memory serves I believe I got it in 2016.

I don't know what an m2 SSD is, is that the hard drive? Searching my device manager mine says: ST2000DM001-1ER164 and in the Properties it shows the capacity as 1.81 TB

Do you have any recommendations on a graphics card? I imagine it needs to be the same basic shape as I have now for it to fit in my case? I found what brand and model my case is, it's: Thermaltake CA-1C8-00M1WN-00
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SOYF6YY/

I'm pretty ignorant about all of these details. Thanks again!
Ilan Tochner wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:23 am
Hi Koshari,

Do to the ongoing chip shortage I doubt you can get a good computer that will be better than what you have now for just $800. Looking at what you've posted it looks like you'll get the most impact from switching to a good m2 SSD (which your motherboard doesn't support according to online specs) and getting a new graphics card (which your existing computer could also run assuming you have a good power supply).

If your budget is set I'd recommend focusing on buying a new graphics card and, if needed, a new power supply to support it. You won't be able to run Windows 11, but Windows 10 should remain actively supported for quite a few more years. I personally don't think there is sufficient reason to upgrade to Windows 11 if it requires you to buy a new computer while your existing one still works.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

According to online specs you have a great 1000W power supply. If it's not giving you trouble then it should support a graphics card upgrade.

Your hard drive is a 7200RPM mechanical hard drive, which is very slow in today's standards. You can significantly speed up your loading times by replacing it with an SSD drive. Your motherboard sadly doesn't support the m2 (motherboard extension module) so any SSD you buy will be limited by the SATA3 connectors that your motherboard does support. It will still be much faster than your current hard drive but much slower than an m2 connected SSD which is what I would otherwise recommend you buy.

I'd recommend you buy an RTX 3070 (just make sure its length can fit in the relevant space in your case) and use the remainder of your budget to get a nice SATA3 connected SSD from a known brand (just keep in mind that you'll probably want to make it your secondary drive in the future when you do upgrade your motherboard and buy an m2 SSD to serve as you primary storage device).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Koshari Mahana
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Thanks Ilan, that's helps a lot!

When you said, "get a nice SATA3 connected SSD from a known brand" can you point me in the direction of what to buy? I don't know what a SATA3 connector is or what a SSD is but I do understand that it will replace my current hard drive and that it's the only type that would work with my motherboard. When shopping online what do I look for? Sorry to be so ignorant. Thanks again for your help with this. I used to rely on Keith to make all of these decisions for me and since he died I have no clue.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

The SATA3 connector is the same as what is used to connect your current hard drive. According to the online specs for your motherboard model it should support up to 6 SATA3 devices.

This is a good option that is currently on sale and is probably close to the best that you can get for your existing motherboard: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089C6LZ42/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Please note that while it will be a LOT faster than your existing hard drive (especially in random access), modern m2 SSDs can be up to 8 times faster than what SATA3 connections can support.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Koshari MahanaGregg LegendaryChris Namaste
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Thanks, Ilan! I really appreciate your help. :)
These users thanked the author Koshari Mahana for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerGregg LegendaryChris Namaste
Evan Bolyko
Has thanked: 0

Post by Evan Bolyko »

First of all sorry for your loss. I personally started everything with a macbook pro and when I realized I don't get much of it I ordered an already built PC. And my husband changed the details regularly as your partner did. Now that I don't have much time for kitely, I work again on macbook (my new one Air) and my husband plays on PC. I can chat with him and then tell you the build. However, I'm already not that much into kitely(( I have plenty of work due to our new business and the documentations we need to transport goods through Europe. Thank god we found https://supercmr.com/ which at least helps us with the creation of cmr documents.
Last edited by Evan Bolyko on Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Evan Bolyko for the post:
Koshari Mahana
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Thanks Evan! That would be great. :)
Evan Bolyko wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:04 pm
First of all sorry for your loss. I personally started everything with a macbook pro and when I realized I don't get much of it I ordered an already built PC. And my husband changed the details regularly as your partner did. Now that I don't have much time for kitely, I work again on macbook (my new one Air) and my husband plays on PC. I can chat with him and then tell you the build.