pbr

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Gregg Legendary

pbr

Post by Gregg Legendary »

Hello,
Being as braindead as I am these days...
I have read many discussions on PBR...
Yet I am still a bit confused...
How does this effect one such as me and me non PBR textures...
Can someone post a Guide for dummies on PBR please...
Gregg... 8-)
These users thanked the author Gregg Legendary for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerChris NamasteKoshari Mahana
Chris Namaste

Re: pbr

Post by Chris Namaste »

dear gregg, not only bc i understand u soooo well,
also bc ure a great person,

ill put u here wha ti have of info,i hope it helps
(many people, chatting in groups in sl, still say its not as it 'should be' yet,
and in fs group i asked, in sl, moderators told me fs is not adapted to pbr yet, despite the fact that some fs bloggers-vloggers make video's of it with 'test versions', i trust the moderators),

- for now,if what i heard & read is right, in opensim we wont use it yet since sl official viewer only, works with it
- in my feeling,for now,its only for the big huge brands who have all the latest 'this and that' and sl viewer, who really use it, i looked in sl mp too, there is not much going on with it yet (imho),

- sl official post :
https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/ ... ontent=pbr
christa
These users thanked the author Chris Namaste for the post (total 2):
Gregg LegendaryKoshari Mahana
Chris CreationZ url kitely market : https://www.kitely.com/market?store=914 ... &sort=date
Because ultimately we are not the avatars we create. We are not the pictures on the film stock. We are the light that shines through.Jim Carrey
Gregg Legendary

Post by Gregg Legendary »

Chris,
As one of my oldest friends I thank you and appreciate you for you're response.
Gregg
These users thanked the author Gregg Legendary for the post (total 2):
Chris NamasteKoshari Mahana
Chris Namaste

Post by Chris Namaste »

:)
all the best to you kind friend
Chris CreationZ url kitely market : https://www.kitely.com/market?store=914 ... &sort=date
Because ultimately we are not the avatars we create. We are not the pictures on the film stock. We are the light that shines through.Jim Carrey
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Hi Gregg,

I went on a bit of a rant elsewhere on the forums about this. But to answer your question: "How does this effect one such as me and me non PBR textures"

Short answer - it does not, in the immediate sense. Carry on as you were. If you want to ignore it entirely - your call.

The confusion and issues will start to come when you start buying or adding objects with PBR into the mix of the rest of your content.

This is going to be the "acid test" moment for most people as an item with NO PBR textures side-by-side with an item that DOES have PBR textures will just look totally wrong. This is because PBR textures accurately model light in a way not possible under the old texturing system.

For that reason, I think we are going to see PBR and Non-PBR regions spring up, as going back and updating over two decades worth of non-PBR content just a non-starter.

I have done a bit of an overview of the difference between the old method and the new one on my blog if you want to have a look - https://ozwellwayfarer.blogspot.com/202 ... n-pbr.html

And if you would like to try making some PBR textures from your old textures, try this (its free!) - viewtopic.php?p=34210#p34210
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerKoshari Mahana